News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I am getting excited for this offense

Started by MightyGiants, August 07, 2023, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 07, 2023, 10:37:22 AMRobinson and Nacho already being injured is concerning and honestly not retaining Love especially but even Moreau leaves the secondary as a big what if for me until we see otherwise.

It's concerning although when I net everything out it still seems like they should be better than last year. Young players like Thibs and Ojulari should only be improved, and nobody is so old that they're in major decline mode. I guess maybe you could say that about Leo but is he even 30?

Adding Okereke to me is huge. Getting back Beavers is also a plus.

I'm not that bullish on the D, but it's hard to see them being worse than last year. Last year they were pretty bad. And somehow we still had a winning record. So if you think the D is just marginally improved and you think the offense takes a big step forward, it's reasonable to think the team overall should be visibly better. How that translates record-wise with what looks to be a materially harder schedule is another discussion.

Hadron

The offense should be improved so long as Waller/Barkley stay healthy. If they can get some level of consistency out of the offensive line and the WRs? I think this is a team that can push for another playoff berth.

Defensively? They definitely have some talent on the defense. They just need to play better. Being able to stop the run will definitely help and that's something the team addressed during the offseason.

kingm56

Like many here, I expect the Giants' offense to be better and as a byproduct score more points.  However, those expectations are tempered by the reality that we play in a division with two dynamic offences.  To that point, the Giants will need to increase their scoring by 30%, just to keep pace with Dal and Phili 2022 production; those teams each scored 100+ more points than our heroes.  I'm also tempered by the notion the Giants had their marquee offensive players available for all 17 games, which is unlikely to happen again. So, the question remains, how big of improvement are people anticipating?  I anticipate a 10-15% increase, which isn't too shabby...it places them in the top 1/3 of the league.   

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Hadron on August 07, 2023, 11:31:26 AMThe offense should be improved so long as Waller/Barkley stay healthy. If they can get some level of consistency out of the offensive line and the WRs? I think this is a team that can push for another playoff berth.

Defensively? They definitely have some talent on the defense. They just need to play better. Being able to stop the run will definitely help and that's something the team addressed during the offseason.

If they can go from 28th against the run (or whatever they were) to say 16th-18th, that should make a material difference.

I have always felt there is nothing more painful (for me as a fan) to see from my team's D than a helpless inability to stop the run. There is no worse feeling than watching the other team line up to run, where everyone in the building knows it, and there is still nothing the D can do. And then watching that over and over. That's hell.

We saw a little of that last year at times... hopefully it's not nearly as bad this year. Okereke plus D line depth should go a long way to addressing that issue.

Our secondary is a work in progress. There are really only two players back there who are proven good players. It can definitely be a liability area for us, but we'll need to see how it plays out.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on August 07, 2023, 11:39:04 AMLike many here, I expect the Giants' offense to be better and as a byproduct score more points.  However, those expectations are tempered by the reality that we play in a division with two dynamic offences.  To that point, the Giants will need to increase their scoring by 30%, just to keep pace with Dal and Phili 2022 production; those teams each scored 100+ more points than our heroes.  I'm also tempered by the notion the Giants had their marquee offensive players available for all 17 games, which is unlikely to happen again. So, the question remains, how big of improvement are people anticipating?  I anticipate a 10-15% increase, which isn't too shabby...it places them in the top 1/3 of the league.   

Good point. We had unusually good health on the offense last year.

I think we can make the flip-side point on D though. Last year there were games missed by a lot of our key defensive guys. If that injury luck can mean-revert a bit, that is also going to help our D (on top of the net personnel upgrades).

uconnjack8

Positionally some groups on offense had good health last year but from what I remember (without looking it up)  the WR group had plenty of issues.  I thought Hodgkins for example was brought to help fill in for injured players. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on August 07, 2023, 11:48:16 AMPositionally some groups on offense had good health last year but from what I remember (without looking it up)  the WR group had plenty of issues.  I thought Hodgkins for example was brought to help fill in for injured players. 

The offensive line also had many many issues
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GMenRF

Quote from: kingm56 on August 07, 2023, 11:39:04 AMLike many here, I expect the Giants' offense to be better and as a byproduct score more points.  However, those expectations are tempered by the reality that we play in a division with two dynamic offences.  To that point, the Giants will need to increase their scoring by 30%, just to keep pace with Dal and Phili 2022 production; those teams each scored 100+ more points than our heroes.  I'm also tempered by the notion the Giants had their marquee offensive players available for all 17 games, which is unlikely to happen again. So, the question remains, how big of improvement are people anticipating?  I anticipate a 10-15% increase, which isn't too shabby...it places them in the top 1/3 of the league. 

The Talkin Giants crew made an observation when Waller did not participate on the 11 vs. 11 drills.  You'd expect them to struggle offensively but that was not the case.  The offense was still moving the ball efficiently.  Barkley was used more as opposed to Waller.

I think the depth we have at the skill position players that we can manage to survive if a player or 2 goes down with the injury bug.  They were even talking about Hodgins who had been DJs safety blanket down the run to be giving up snaps so Hyatt can be on the field.

At full strength the offense has the potential to be scary good.  But even if not, we can manage with other players available to step in and make up the production. 

MightyGiants

The Giants only had Jones and Barkley (almost) available for all 16 games (remember, the 17th game was a rest day).   The Giants had a revolving door at WR, TE, and O-line.  So I wouldn't credit the Giants' offense as having good health last season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

The Giants Defense gave up less than 2 points a game more last season than the Eagles and Dallas. They scored, however, 6-6.6 fewer points a game. When the Offense fails it puts the Defense back on the field. Can the Giants score one TD more a game? I think they can convert a few more FG's (29) into TD's. I think Jones can pass for 28-30 TD's this season against 15 last season. Some of those will come at the expense of Rushing TD's. Let's say the Giants can score an average of 26 points a game against 21.5 last season. Last season they gave up 21.8 points a game, so can they reduce that to 20 points a game? I think it's possible and not a tall task.

Last year the points differential was -6. This year if they hit those numbers the differential would be +102.

Last year they were 5-0 in non-conference games. 1-4-1 in Divisional games and 4-7-1 in Conference games. In the last 5 games, they were 2-3. Dallas and the Eagles were 3-2.

I think the Giants can realistically compete for 2nd place in the Division. I think they will split games with Dallas. If they can split games with Philly, then they could compete for the division.

I look back to the Davis Webb game which took them by surprise. I don't believe the two teams are that far apart this season.

Dallas W
Zona W
Niners L
Hawks W
Miami W
Bills L
Skins W
Jets L
LAR W
Dallas L
Skins W
Pats W
Packers W
Saints W
Eagles L
Rams W
Eagles W

12-5

More likely they lose both Eagle games and to either Seattle or the Rams and go 10-7
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GMenRF

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 07, 2023, 12:29:47 PMThe Giants Defense gave up less than 2 points a game more last season than the Eagles and Dallas. They scored, however, 6-6.6 fewer points a game. When the Offense fails it puts the Defense back on the field. Can the Giants score one TD more a game? I think they can convert a few more FG's (29) into TD's. I think Jones can pass for 28-30 TD's this season against 15 last season. Some of those will come at the expense of Rushing TD's. Let's say the Giants can score an average of 26 points a game against 21.5 last season. Last season they gave up 21.8 points a game, so can they reduce that to 20 points a game? I think it's possible and not a tall task.

Last year the points differential was -6. This year if they hit those numbers the differential would be +102.

Last year they were 5-0 in non-conference games. 1-4-1 in Divisional games and 4-7-1 in Conference games. In the last 5 games, they were 2-3. Dallas and the Eagles were 3-2.

I think the Giants can realistically compete for 2nd place in the Division. I think they will split games with Dallas. If they can split games with Philly, then they could compete for the division.

I look back to the Davis Webb game which took them by surprise. I don't believe the two teams are that far apart this season.

Dallas W
Zona W
Niners L
Hawks W
Miami W
Bills L
Skins W
Jets L
LAR W
Dallas L
Skins W
Pats W
Packers W
Saints W
Eagles L
Rams W
Eagles W

12-5

More likely they lose both Eagle games and to either Seattle or the Rams and go 10-7

I think we can steal a win against the Niners considering that Purdy is coming off injury and Lance still being unproven

Ed Vette

Quote from: GMenRF on August 07, 2023, 12:33:26 PMI think we can steal a win against the Niners considering that Purdy is coming off injury and Lance still being unproven
On 5 days rest and away? Your lips to God's ears.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 07, 2023, 12:35:04 PMOn 5 days rest and away? Your lips to God's ears.

Agreed. That roster is loaded on both sides of the ball. Even with Darnold under center, that's going to be a really big ask off a short week and back to back road games.

Philosophers

I want the offense to become a unit and the OL and WRs to each solidify as position groups.  I want three solid WRs, not 5 middlings.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 07, 2023, 09:49:37 AMJess,

Last year Wink had essentially the same people minus better DT depth, a proper ILB, and CBs beyond Adoree.  This year Wink has those things, so I have to think the defense improves over last season.  They weren't terrible last year on D.

Their run defense was horrific.  31st in yards per carry, bottom 5 in yards per game, bottom 3 in rushing 1st downs given up, etc.

The good news is that the pass defense was much better, being at the bottom of the top third in the key metrics.  And that there is a lot of scope for improvement in the run defense.  A reasonable expectation would be for the rushing defense to improve to middle of the pack and the passing defense to edge into the bottom of the top 10.  With the offense we are hoping to see, the Giants would be a tough out.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll