News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll giving RB Gray some love

Started by MightyGiants, August 07, 2023, 09:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I would hope "having an opportunity" to win special teams jobs is not the best case scenario ceiling for what we should expect from Gray this year. I'd like to see him spell Barkley and get a decent amount of offensive touches.

I guess since Barkley is only on the tag though, the Giants can run him into the ground and don't really have any incentive to think about preserving him long term.

Dgoodmantrublu

I don't think so, but punt returner is a key spot. And having him do this could affect other decisions. We don't need to keep Crowder to return punts if Gray can handle that job.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 07, 2023, 02:57:43 PMI would hope "having an opportunity" to win special teams jobs is not the best case scenario ceiling for what we should expect from Gray this year. I'd like to see him spell Barkley and get a decent amount of offensive touches.

I guess since Barkley is only on the tag though, the Giants can run him into the ground and don't really have any incentive to think about preserving him long term.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 07, 2023, 03:08:02 PMI don't think so, but punt returner is a key spot. And having him do this could affect other decisions. We don't need to keep Crowder to return punts if Gray can handle that job.

Oh yeah I have no opposition to Gray handling returning duties. My point was just I hope that's not all they have planned for him.

In other words, I'd like to hope that he's good enough, even as a rookie, to beat out Breida and Brightwell for the RB2 role. If not on day one at least by the middle of the season.

Dgoodmantrublu

I see an increasing work load as the season progresses. Have to make sure he won't get Daniel killed in pass pro first. I think Breida is pretty good as a change of pace back. But Gray would probably get more reps if Barkley misses time to injury.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 07, 2023, 03:27:57 PMI see an increasing work load as the season progresses. Have to make sure he won't get Daniel killed in pass pro first. I think Breida is pretty good as a change of pace back. But Gray would probably get more reps if Barkley misses time to injury.

Let's hope for Barkley's sake that doesn't happen. He needs literally a dream season (better than 2022), with not even a hang nail causing him to miss just one quarter let alone a full game, to have even a vaguely realistic chance of getting a meaningfully better deal than what Schoen offered him last month before the deadline.

Dgoodmantrublu

I wouldn't give Barkley a multi year deal no matter how well he performs. He's creeping to that age of decline. But that is just my philosophy.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 07, 2023, 03:36:02 PMI wouldn't give Barkley a multi year deal no matter how well he performs. He's creeping to that age of decline. But that is just my philosophy.

I 100% agree, but there are likely GMs who would if he plays very well this year and stays healthy. Including possibly ours.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 07, 2023, 02:57:43 PMI would hope "having an opportunity" to win special teams jobs is not the best case scenario ceiling for what we should expect from Gray this year. I'd like to see him spell Barkley and get a decent amount of offensive touches.

If James Robinson can get/stay healthy I think he will be the primary back-up to spell Barkley.  And Ahmad Bradshaw made his early bones as a kick returner and became a very valuable runner for us by the end of the season.  So there should be some room for Gray to grow into it.  I like our RB room.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Dgoodmantrublu

I really don't see a path for Robinson to make this roster.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 07, 2023, 05:02:06 PMI really don't see a path for Robinson to make this roster.

He's definitely on the outside looking in, but I am not ruling it out. This same coaching staff carried four RBs (plus a FB, so five if you count that) last year. Maybe they cut it down to three this year, but if they don't, I would say he has a shot if he's reasonably healthy.