News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Gettleman sighting

Started by MightyGiants, August 07, 2023, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

For a second I was afraid I was going to open this up and find him milling around Giants training camp. Schoen has a good thing going here and wouldn't want him to get any of that Gettleman stink on him.

Painter

Quote from: Gmo11 on August 07, 2023, 11:13:50 AMFor a second I was afraid I was going to open this up and find him milling around Giants training camp. Schoen has a good thing going here and wouldn't want him to get any of that Gettleman stink on him.

Yes, indeed! The mere mention of his name is a reason to shudder.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on August 07, 2023, 11:13:50 AMFor a second I was afraid I was going to open this up and find him milling around Giants training camp. Schoen has a good thing going here and wouldn't want him to get any of that Gettleman stink on him.

The thought crossed my mind too, although I honestly don't think Gettleman would want to show his face at Giants' camp, even if they invited him (which I highly doubt they would).

Ed Vette

Quote from: Painter on August 07, 2023, 11:23:49 AMYes, indeed! The mere mention of his name is a reason to shudder.

Cheers!
Perhaps he should be included in that exclusive club of those not to be named. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

He was a terrible GM, but he also played a role in our previous Super Bowls with the job he did in the pro personnel department. Game just passed him by. I don't feel the need to hate the guy. Hope he enjoys retired life.

madbadger

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 07, 2023, 12:53:04 PMHe was a terrible GM, but he also played a role in our previous Super Bowls with the job he did in the pro personnel department. Game just passed him by. I don't feel the need to hate the guy. Hope he enjoys retired life.

Agreed. I'm more inclined to shudder when I hear Mara's name. Gettleman is from a bygone era of the game. It's 100% on Mara that he hired an analog GM in a digital world.

jerseyguy

I always felt Gettleman was a victim of the Mara family..

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jerseyguy on August 08, 2023, 03:21:12 PMI always felt Gettleman was a victim of the Mara family..

A victim? John Mara was literally the only owner in the league who was going to give that guy a GM job at the time that he did. Gettleman is lucky he got that nice of a paycheck for four years going into retirement. He wasn't getting that from anyone else. He should be thanking Mara for that, not feeling victimized by him.

nb587

Quote from: madbadger on August 07, 2023, 01:50:51 PMAgreed. I'm more inclined to shudder when I hear Mara's name. Gettleman is from a bygone era of the game. It's 100% on Mara that he hired an analog GM in a digital world.
Even more than hiring Getty, I am (was?) pissed at Mara for not even interviewing one of the hotshot assistant GMs.  Didnt have to be Schoen but some young guy on the move.  Here you're hiring an old man to begin with and you pass up an opportunity to at least check out the new generation.  It's a surprise to me that this idiot ended up with a really good GM like Schoen.

Painter

Quote from: madbadger on August 07, 2023, 01:50:51 PMAgreed. I'm more inclined to shudder when I hear Mara's name. Gettleman is from a bygone era of the game. It's 100% on Mara that he hired an analog GM in a digital world.

Can't disagree with that, badgee. I was furious and disgusted that January when it became obvious that Mara(s) had learned nothing from their ruinous history of cronyism.

Even now, I keep worrying that that I might again see a Mara (other than Kate) on the practice field in tee shirt and shorts.

Cheers!

Jclayton92

Gettleman set this franchise back 10 years and for that I'll never say anything positive about the man. Drafting good players because you have top picks every season isn't hard.

Rambo89

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 08, 2023, 06:20:55 PMGettleman set this franchise back 10 years and for that I'll never say anything positive about the man. Drafting good players because you have top picks every season isn't hard.

This.  On top of that he was arrogant.  If you are going to be as arrogant as he was you better back it up instead he set the franchise back.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Dgoodmantrublu

The arrogance of refusing to take calls for the #2 pick in the draft still astounds me to this day.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 07, 2023, 12:38:45 PMPerhaps he should be included in that exclusive club of those not to be named. 

I simply refer to him as TFGM
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"