News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Gettleman sighting

Started by MightyGiants, August 07, 2023, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bldevil

Agree with all of the above negative comments on Gettleman.  Bad judgement, arrogant, etc.

However, if my memory is correct, he was dealing with cancer when he started the job.  Wonder how much that set him back.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: bldevil on August 08, 2023, 09:43:36 PMAgree with all of the above negative comments on Gettleman.  Bad judgement, arrogant, etc.

However, if my memory is correct, he was dealing with cancer when he started the job.  Wonder how much that set him back.

I'm fairly sure the diagnosis came well after day one on the job. I don't think it's correct that he was a diagnosed cancer patient when he started the job.

bldevil

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 08, 2023, 09:47:32 PMI'm fairly sure the diagnosis came well after day one on the job. I don't think it's correct that he was a diagnosed cancer patient when he started the job.
True. On wikipedia it says he took the job Dec '17 and underwent treatment June '18.  But, he must have been under the weather well prior to June '18.  Probably should've stepped down. At least I would've.  Don't think anyone can do a GM job unless they're putting in >3,000 hours per year.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

Dgoodmantrublu

I don't think the cancer had anything to do with his performance. I think it was his basic philosophy and old ways.

madbadger

Quote from: Rambo89 on August 08, 2023, 07:39:45 PMThis.  On top of that he was arrogant.  If you are going to be as arrogant as he was you better back it up instead he set the franchise back.

Arrogant or insecure? For a man his age it had to feel intimidating to see the league transforming at light speed and not being able to full understand how to use analytics. Doesn't really matter. He was the wrong man for the job at the wrong time. I don't blame him for wanting to work. Mara should have realized that hiring him was a really bad fit for todays NFL. 15 years ago it would have been a solid hire. Thankfully we have the right man calling the shots going forward.