News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants first depth chart

Started by MightyGiants, August 08, 2023, 09:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 08, 2023, 10:41:36 AMReading the tea leaves here, it sounds to me like Daboll's long term thinking for the O-Line is:

LT Andrew Thomas - LG Ben Bredeson - C John Michael Schmitz - RG Joshua Ezuedu - RT Evan Neal

Battle begins for backup swing tackle, guards, and center

Yup.

If you asked me a couple of months ago, I admit that I would have stated that Bredeson was not a long term solution at guard in their mind, and that he was a serviceable placeholder until they can upgrade him or until Ezeudu was ready. At that time I wasn't expecting Glowinski to be supplanted. But I also just thought of Bredeson as more of a depth guy.

While it's certainly still very possible they could draft or sign a better talent at guard than Bredeson in the next offseason, it seems like the odds of them sticking with him for a more meaningful stretch of time are higher than I had previously assessed them to be.

Dgoodmantrublu

I wouldn't read too much into this with this staff. Austin Calitro was listed as the starter until week 6 and didn't play at all after week 3. And no preseason games have been played. This staff has shown guys can move up and down the depth chart based on merit. This isn't like the previous staffs where preconceived notions ruled all.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 08, 2023, 10:41:36 AMReading the tea leaves here, it sounds to me like Daboll's long term thinking for the O-Line is:

LT Andrew Thomas - LG Ben Bredeson - C John Michael Schmitz - RG Joshua Ezuedu - RT Evan Neal

Battle begins for backup swing tackle, guards, and center
I highly doubt Ezeudu translates to RG. He doesn't have the sand in his pants and he's the pulling guard, which is the LG. He never lined up at RG.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 08, 2023, 10:49:41 AMI wouldn't read too much into this with this staff. Austin Calitro was listed as the starter until week 6 and didn't play at all after week 3. And no preseason games have been played. This staff has shown guys can move up and down the depth chart based on merit. This isn't like the previous staffs where preconceived notions ruled all.
Agreed, they never should have sent this out.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

I think it might be a league requirement. It seems to be done by everyone prior to preseason games.

killarich

Am I the only one who was HIGH on Bredeson (lol)? I always viewed him as a possible long term guard.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 08, 2023, 09:28:57 AMSlot CB seems to be a bit troubling.  I heard reports that Flott was pulled from the slot last season because he was a bit overwhelmed.  I fear year two isn't much better

I'm thinking that Schoen and his guys will be scouring teams with good db rooms for a pick-up when cuts start happening.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 08, 2023, 10:52:44 AMI highly doubt Ezeudu translates to RG. He doesn't have the sand in his pants and he's the pulling guard, which is the LG. He never lined up at RG.

When Ezuedu was picked, Schoen told the media what he liked about him. His response: "positional flexibility, athleticism, and intelligence"

In North Carolina, he played every position on the line except center. Granted, he primarily played LG, but that was due to the linemen they had to work with.

Size and athleticism was superb, especially his snap off the line and balance while shifting horizontally

Intelligence: He got scholarship offers from Yale, Dartmouth, and Cornell. Not many football players get scholarship offers to three Ivy League schools. Hell, you can even count non-football players. In short: Smart, athletic, with positional versatility

When trying to put your best 5 guys on the front line, you find a way to get them all in at the same time. The coaches might think that Ezuedu will translate to RG better than Bredeson. Also, the dynamics of who plays next to who is important and only the coaches know what that is. Possible that Ezuedu and Neal have meshed intellectually as well as in a personal friendship. The two together might be better than the whole (or something like that)

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ViewFromSection129

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 08, 2023, 09:54:09 AMFor reference, here was the Giants' first unofficial depth chart from last season.  This team has come a long way in just one season

https://www.giants.com/news/giants-depth-chart-2022-nfl-season-kayvon-thibodeaux-daniel-jones-evan-neal

Very much so Rich.  But what I take from the first depth chart of 2023 is that we still have a long way to go with a number of positions, especially with depth.  But getting there....

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 08, 2023, 12:46:18 PMWhen Ezuedu was picked, Schoen told the media what he liked about him. His response: "positional flexibility, athleticism, and intelligence"

In North Carolina, he played every position on the line except center. Granted, he primarily played LG, but that was due to the linemen they had to work with.

Size and athleticism was superb, especially his snap off the line and balance while shifting horizontally

Intelligence: He got scholarship offers from Yale, Dartmouth, and Cornell. Not many football players get scholarship offers to three Ivy League schools. Hell, you can even count non-football players. In short: Smart, athletic, with positional versatility

When trying to put your best 5 guys on the front line, you find a way to get them all in at the same time. The coaches might think that Ezuedu will translate to RG better than Bredeson. Also, the dynamics of who plays next to who is important and only the coaches know what that is. Possible that Ezuedu and Neal have meshed intellectually as well as in a personal friendship. The two together might be better than the whole (or something like that)

Ric, he never took a RG Snap all camp and today. Do you really think there's a competition over at RG with him and Glow? Or do you think if Glow goes down, he's the next man up? Either way, I just don't see it.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 08, 2023, 12:55:14 PMRic, he never took a RG Snap all camp and today. Do you really think there's a competition over at RG with him and Glow? Or do you think if Glow goes down, he's the next man up? Either way, I just don't see it.

I'm just thinking out loud and typing away. I have no inside information. What I do think, is that this is the last year for Glow because of age and cost, and we don't know what we have in McKethan yet. And if Bredeson is a keeper, but sucks at RG, I can envision the coaches pondering the idea of EZ-do going to RG. I guess we'll see as the year progresses. I would think they'd have him taking a few reps there if that's what they're thinking  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 08, 2023, 09:28:57 AMSlot CB seems to be a bit troubling.  I heard reports that Flott was pulled from the slot last season because he was a bit overwhelmed.  I fear year two isn't much better
He's out played Holmes so far in camp I mean not by much but has outplayed him. Think this might be a bait scenario to see if someone will give up a 6th or 7th for Holmes by keeping him listed as the number 1 for now or making Flott really earn it.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think slot could rotate based on opponent until Flott takes it. McCloud may see some time against bigger opponents.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 08, 2023, 10:46:06 AMYup.

If you asked me a couple of months ago, I admit that I would have stated that Bredeson was not a long term solution at guard in their mind, and that he was a serviceable placeholder until they can upgrade him or until Ezeudu was ready. At that time I wasn't expecting Glowinski to be supplanted. But I also just thought of Bredeson as more of a depth guy.

While it's certainly still very possible they could draft or sign a better talent at guard than Bredeson in the next offseason, it seems like the odds of them sticking with him for a more meaningful stretch of time are higher than I had previously assessed them to be.
I've been beating the Brederson drum since last season, not only because great teams need cheap players ar cheap positions but also because the line in my opinion looked night and day better with him in it over Gates and Ezeudu.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 08, 2023, 02:41:20 PMI think slot could rotate based on opponent until Flott takes it. McCloud may see some time against bigger opponents.
I doubt the move McCloud inside, they didn't even give him boundary reps in camp, he's strictly a safety now. You'll probably see McCain in Nickel before McCloud I think.