News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Laf seems amongst the goals so far this season. Perhaps this is his breakout year.

DaveBrown74

I'm hoping this exceptional play by Quick lights a fire under Shesty.

Love seeing these road wins. We were fortunate to catch the Oilers without McDavid, but I don't want to take anything away from their effort. Any road shutout win is great.

We still have two more games on this road trip (Vancouver on Sat and Winnipeg on Mon). Both teams presently are above .500, so we will have our hands full. If they can just even split these last two that would be a tremendous road trip.

babywhales

Got back from the rink and it was intermission, so unfortunately, I missed the 1st.

Where to start... Quick looked good, his motions looked fast and fluid.  T pushes, butterfly pushes and recovery were as nice as can be.  I had to look up his stats and was shocked to see he was 37.  I do not know much about him but the way he moved in the crease last night was beautiful. He was making some real nice saves too, a 29 shot shutout isn't easy, the guy certainly earned it.  My youngest a goalie came in, i asked him to stop and take a look, he was so impressed he didn't go to bed and simply sat down, and we watched the rest of the 2nd and 1/3 the 3rd together. 

Schnieder looked really good for the 2nd game in a row. This team can pass the puck and he transitioned into the high slot on at least 3 occasions creating some nice opportunities, scoring with a beautiful snapshot on one. It will be nice to see if adds some offense to his game this season.

Laffy with his 3rd goal in three games and what a goal it was.  A cross ice pass from the breadman and he dropped his hips and ripped a 1 Timer that was simply on point, just beautiful.

Faceoffs, is it just me or are the Rangers becoming dominant in winning faceoffs.  Last 2 games they simply win a lot more than they are losing. I do not recall this from last year, in fact I thought it was a weakness last year. (I will have to look it up)

I realize the Oilers  are without McDavid and that is obviously huge, but they didn't look bad really and skinner looked real good, despite letting in 3 goals.  He made some real sick saves and the score honestly could have been 6 or 7 to 0.

Looking forward to Vancover on Saturday.  My youngest plays 4 games this weekend with a 7:45 on Saturday so I am hopefully that I will get to the game by the 2nd period.

So far the Rangers look pretty good.  Great puck movement without over passing, even strength offense creating lots of high probability opportunities and scoring on some, quality goal tending, still have a great power play, and better defense than last year.  I am excited to see this team develop.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Gmo11

Gotta like what you're seeing from the Rangers so far.  Only 1 real stinker in there and a whole lot of positives.  Laffy off to a hot start, certainly hope he can keep that up all season.  Maybe finally realizing his potential? 

Quick has been the best backup goalie they've had for Shesty yet.  Halak was fine down the stretch, but started ice cold (pun intended) whereas Quick looks like the goalie of old all over again.  I think not having to play a full season as a starter should help keep him fresh as the year goes along too.  He's no spring chicken.  But it's good to know if Shesty gets into one of his funks, or even just has a nagging injury, they can go to a guy that can play at that level.

And how about the backend of the roster!  Goodrow/Bonino/Vesey is a much better 4th line than the crap they've been throwing out there the past few seasons and Gustaffson seems to have finally solidified that last D pair.  Even contributing on the Power Play.

It's still early but hard not to get excited about what we've seen so far.  Especially since Zibs hasn't found the scoring touch just yet and you know that's coming.

kartanoman

Quote from: babywhales on October 27, 2023, 08:55:42 AMGot back from the rink and it was intermission, so unfortunately, I missed the 1st.

Where to start... Quick looked good, his motions looked fast and fluid.  T pushes, butterfly pushes and recovery were as nice as can be.  I had to look up his stats and was shocked to see he was 37.  I do not know much about him but the way he moved in the crease last night was beautiful. He was making some real nice saves too, I 29 shot shutout isn't easy, the guy certainly earned it.  My youngest a goalie came in, i asked him to stop and take a look, he was so impressed he didn't go to bed and simply sat down, and we watched the rest of the 2nd and 1/3 the 3rd together. 

Schnieder looked really good for the 2nd game in a row. This team can pass the puck and he transitioned into the high slot on at least 3 occasions creating some nice opportunities, scoring with a beautiful snapshot on one. It will be nice to see if adds some offense to his game this season.

Laffy with his 3rd goal in three games and what a goal it was.  A cross ice pass from the breadman and he dropped his hips and ripped a 1 Timer that was simply on point, just beautiful.

Faceoffs, is it just me or are the Rangers becoming dominant in winning faceoffs.  Last 2 games they simply win a lot more than they are losing. I do not recall this from last year, in fact I through it was a weakness last year. (I will have to look it up)

I realize the Oilers without McDavid and that is obviously huge, but they didn't look bad really and skinner looked real good, despite letting in 3 goals.  He made some real sick saves and the score honestly could have been 6 or 7 to 0.

Looking forward to Vancover on Saturday.  My youngest plays has 4 games this weekend with a 7:45 on Saturday so I am hopefully that I will get to the game by the 2nd period.

So far the Rangers look pretty good.  Great puck movement without over passing, even strength offense creating lots of high probability opportunities and scoring on some, quality goal tending, still have a great power play, and better defense than last year.  I am excited to see this team develop.

First, wishing your kid all the best this weekend. Four games? Wow! I miss being young.

Pitching a shutout in Edmonton is an unheard of achievement in the annals of Rangers history. It truly was a tale of two stories where the Oilers are having some problems beyond McDavid's absence and a Ranger team that is operating on a beat that was missing during the Devils' series in last season's playoffs. These guys are putting in the hard work in the corners, are getting back after losing the puck in the opponent's zone and love Period Two, for some reason, as that's been their go-to for results (i.e. three goals, two posts and a BS disallowed fourth score after the referee concluded that Will Cuylle kicked the puck into the net; he "craftily redirected it," in my opinion). Edmonton goalie, Stuart Skinner, deserved a star of the game as the score could easily have hit double digits. The Oilers turned up the heat in the second period, but Ranger goalie Jonathan Quick opened many eyes last night with a performance you'd expect from the goalie wearing the #31 sweater. Quick shined in the third period and he was at his best in the final 10 minutes when the Oilers pushed to try and avoid getting blanked. But the Rangers' defenders held up very well and withstood the charge, except for one play. One of the Oilers took the puck behind Quick's goal, K'Andre Miller in front of Quick pursued the Oiler who passed to teammate Zach Hyman alone at the point. Hyman blasted the one-timer and Quick made the reflex save which was his highlight for the game. The Rangers are getting massive ROI from Quick to start the season and, as I have mentioned before, these wins from the Rangers' backup goalie, compared to last year at this time, was the difference in the Rangers finishing third in the standings. So keep that in mind as we will revisit this in March if it's another logjam at the top of the standings between New Jersey, Carolina, the Islanders and the Rangers.

Three wins in three tries on the great Northwestern Canadian Road Trip is a huge accomplishment as the Rangers are now sitting #1. Vancouver next up!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

babywhales

What a game !!!
The energy by both teams, the flow, the constant back and forth; such a high pace, high quality game.

The Rangers get the OT win in a very good games
Too much to discuss and it's too late.

Can they take the Jets and sweep the Road Trip ?
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Jaime

If you have a heart condition, and didn't see tonite's game in Vancouver, you made a wise choice. 
Shesty gave up three, but saved the game late in the 3rd & in OT. Made saves that you had to see to believe :o
Dig this, tied in the 3rd (under 10 min. left?) and Zib takes a High Stick to the face that cut his cheek. We get a four min. PP. So, with any luck we maybe could score the game winner here. Well somebody did score during our 1st two min. but it wasn't us. Van came down on a 2 on 1 and beat Shesty on the short side.
If I recall correctly, in the 2nd two min. Foxy came down low, took a pass on the doorstep and roofed one to tie the game, that eventually would send us into OT. But before OT happened, Shesty made a save lying on the ice and stuck out his glove to stop a rebound at the side of the Net :o

With the jump that Van played with right to the end, hard to believe they played the nite before. 
Shesty continued his brilliance into OT with a couple of highlight reel saves. This Game was so back and forth with each Team being awarded six PP's. Mostly a N/S Game with little E/W play. Alot of heavy clean hits by both Teams. Don't know the exact total, but we blocked a huge amount of shots. Bonino blocked three on one shift!
Krides broke out of our Zone in OT. He then baited the Goalie into thinking he was going to take a shot.
But then passed the Puck away from the lone Van Defender and put it in the wheelhouse of a braking K Miller. Miller gave the Goalie no chance by burying a one-timer that kept us undefeated on this Western Canada Road Trip, with one game remaining. Heard at 6-2 we are atop the Metropolitan Division. And as mentioned, we have only put up one stinker this Season.  :goteam: 

DaveBrown74

We've locked in no worse than 4-1 on a west coast road trip, and we have a shot at 5-0 or 4-0-1.

Either way, that's tremendous.

Section 101 Steve

Great recap Jaime. I taped it and will watch it later
sm

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 29, 2023, 06:50:30 AMWe've locked in no worse than 4-1 on a west coast road trip, and we have a shot at 5-0 or 4-0-1.

Either way, that's tremendous.

This! Four wins is a major success for the Rangers on this road trip.

Getting the fifth win is going to be the toughest since they have to overcome goaltender Conner Hellebuyck who, to date, has owned the Rangers. But tomorrow night's game could be different. Having former Jet captain, Blake Wheeler, on the team now, alongside current Ranger captain, Jacob Trouba, the Rangers will want to play hard for those two guys with the incentive of sweeping the road trip.

It's a big matchup on Mondsy Night!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

GloryDays

Bad O line, stupid special teams plays.. the story of this season! 😡

kartanoman

Quote from: GloryDays on October 29, 2023, 02:06:25 PMBad O line, stupid special teams plays.. the story of this season! 😡

This is the NY Rangers thread!!! You must be really angry if you're posting about the Giants on the Rangers' thread!

You win the prize for the angriest Giant fan this week.

Watch that blood pressure now.

Peace!

Jaime

DaveBrown74

Tremendous win tonight. I thought we looked a little tired at times (which was understandable), but they showed a lot of grit and discipline. Last year's team would have pissed this game away. What a road trip. Just tremendous.

kartanoman

They did it! Last seconds of OT, the Z man one times his shot past Hellebuyck for the winner, 3-2, to clean sweep the Great Northwestern Canadian Road Trip.

This was a game they would have lost, last year. They kept their cool all game, never panicked when they went down 2-1, and found a way to tie the game in the third and send it to OT.

The Jets turned the heat up in OT while on the power play. Plenty of shots yet Igor refused to let them score.

The Jets will be muttering among themselves and rightly so. Retribution from Hellebuyck's play last year was sweet as it was for Blake Wheeler.

Peace!