News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messiah717

First time in history going 5-0 on a road trip.  They definitely looked sluggish but still managed to get the overtime winner.  7-2 and I still don't think they have played their best hockey.  Looking forward to them getting back home Thursday night. 

Jaime

Jets Goalie Clutterbuyck made a couple of all-world saves late to maintain the tied score. Alot of speed and crisp passing by both Teams prevented numerous big hits from happening. Again, we blocked a huge amount of shots. It takes me back to the days of Torts. Wonder if Girardi is healed up after being a human Pinata? A blown call gave the Jets a PP that had them score on a wrap around to go up 1-2. We were 0-2 on the PP, but were awarded a 3rd PP with under five mins. remaining. Krides, who can only be described as a magician in front of Opponent's nets, deflects in a Goal to tie the Game to send us into OT. Even on slow motion replay, tough to tell (for me) just how Krides deflected Foxy's shot past Clutterbuyck. Fox leads all NHL D's in scoring. A 2nd Norris Trophy maybe?

So on we we go to OT, being shorthanded for aprox. 1:45 (playing 3 on 4) on a Penalty that carried over from Regulation. Superb kill, as the Jets never got off a quality chance. Now playing three on three, Bread on his B-day (with a 3 point game) slides a pass across the high slot into Zib's wheel house that he one-times past Clutterbuyck for the OT Winner!!! For the 1st (I believe) in our Franchise's history, we have gone 5-0 on a Road Trip.
In his presser, Laviolette was emotional describing the aforementioned.
I'm a little concerned about that dreaded 1st home game from a Road Trip. This Roster has already proved it's not typical.
So maybe I need not be overly concerned?

kartanoman

You would think the Rangers will need a game or two adjust after that huge road trip, Jaime. I remember last season's Western Canadian trip, which they did a good job on, but came home flat for like a week or so. It's a good observation and against a tough Divisional rivals in Carolina you'd want to see them hang tough and put some points between them and the division contenders.

But what a road trip! The papers are celebrating it and deservedly so.

The Canes at home on Thursday!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Gmo11

Incredible road trip for the boys in blue.  Going out west like that for an extended period of time is always tough and to come away with the maximum points is quite an accomplishment.  We've mentioned it before but last year they dug themselves a big hole losing a bunch of games they should have won.  This year it seems quite the opposite because I looked at this trip and anticipated probably 2 losses but instead we got a clean sweep!

This pace is gonna be hard to keep up all season, but on paper they look better than last year and so far are performing that way too.  I'm starting to get excited about this bunch!

babywhales

Unfortunately, I missed the live game with two kids on the ice staggard from 4-9:30. Was quick to follow up on some of your thoughts on the game.

Here is an interesting article on Laviolette and some changes from Gallant. 

5 ways NY Rangers coach Peter Laviolette is making an early impact (lohud.com)

Looking forward to the Carolina Game!

Any college hockey fans here?  Badgers have a huge sweep of Minnesota on the road. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Jaime

HUGE WIN on 1st Game back from best Road Trip in Franchise history!!! A real Playoff caliber game vs. a top Team in the Canes.
Rook Cuyle with game winner and 1st Star. He scores with a hard working pass from the corner by Trouba in 3rd Period, who played nearly 26 mins. !!!
Fox leaves the the game in the 1st Period with lower body injury, extent unknown..  Chytil leaves the game in the 2nd with an upper body injury.
Krides continues his Goal scoring tear, with another PP Goal.
Igor on fire giving up a goal in the 1st Period, then shut the door. Marchand wins 14 out of 20 Faceoffs!

DaveBrown74

Big win. I actually was worried we'd have a let-down tonight. Those worries were unwarranted as I watched a gritty, methodical, disciplined win against a tough team that always gives us a tough game. I'm very pleased with this one. This was a classic let-down spot and they didn't let that happen.

Jaime

Coach Laviolette said in his presser, that he was pleased with how his Team came out of the gate!
He made mention of how upon review, he didn't like the hit that injured Chytil.
Also stated how with the game tied, the Team came out hard in the 3rd period to take charge against a good Team.

kartanoman

I echo your sentiments, folks. They could be forgiven for a letdown after a 5,900+ mile road trip. Last year, you could penciltjis type of game a loss. This year? For now, not the case.

Beating Carolina is like a four point difference in the standings.

Eight wins in the first 10. We couldn't ask for much more.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

babywhales

Got home last night and my wife had the game on and what a game it was.  

The high energy style of play at both ends of ice is very exciting and effective so far.  WE have gotten to enjoy some very good game so far and only 10 games into the season.

In 22/23 Rangers 
31 shots per game (17th in league)
3.3 goals per game (12th in league)

giving up 27.9 shots per game 
2.63 goals per game

In 23/24 Rangers

27.9 shots per game  (6th lowest)
3.0 goals per game (18th in league)

giving up 24 shots per game (7th lowest)
1.9 goals per game (2nd lowest)

Last year the Rangers offense was opened up but had little regard for defense.    Ratcheting up the defense has been a welcome change, especially the types of shots they are given up.  Last year they gave up high percentage opportunities and expected the Igor to save their asses night after night.  IMO it appears this year they are not giving up as many opportunities in the high and mid slot (I would like to find stats on such)

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Gmo11

Great win against the other top team of the division so far.  Carolina plays a boring annoying brand of hockey but damnit it does seem to work for them.  I'm concerned about the two injuries.  Hopefully nothing too serious but losing a couple of key members of the team like that for an extended period of time will really hurt.

Section 101 Steve

Very costly win for the rangers last night. Fox goes to LTIR with what is rumored to be a sprained MCL. I understand he has to miss at least 10 games. Chytil to IR with what is rumored to be a concussion which would be very bad news for him as it would be his 4th or 5th concussion in the last 2 years and if so will be gone for a long while. And last but not least Domingue brought up from the minors as Igor banged up and looks like quick may be the goalie for a little bit. Next time we play the canes AHO should call in sick as he will be a DEAD MAN!
sm

kartanoman

Quote from: Section 101 Steve on November 03, 2023, 05:31:20 PMVery costly win for the rangers last night. Fox goes to LTIR with what is rumored to be a sprained MCL. I understand he has to miss at least 10 games. Chytil to IR with what is rumored to be a concussion which would be very bad news for him as it would be his 4th or 5th concussion in the last 2 years and if so will be gone for a long while. And last but not least Domingue brought up from the minors as Igor banged up and looks like quick may be the goalie for a little bit. Next time we play the canes AHO should call in sick as he will be a DEAD MAN!

It was a bit surprising that all the high sticks were not called and, further, the Rangers not going after him for it. In fact, I was even more surprised Sam and Joe weren't calling it out and making a stink out of it.

But, the season is young and we'll see if the Rangers file this one away for another day. I'd love nothing more than to see Brind A'mor's goons get their back ends handed to them the last time these teams played in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Peace!

EDjohnst1981

I know this isn't Rangers related but I don't know if you've seen this story in the last week: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67306896

The guy had a short stint in the NHL with the Penguins. I'm off to see my local club play tonight, I suspect the atmosphere will be quite somber.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Section 101 Steve on November 03, 2023, 05:31:20 PMVery costly win for the rangers last night. Fox goes to LTIR with what is rumored to be a sprained MCL. I understand he has to miss at least 10 games. Chytil to IR with what is rumored to be a concussion which would be very bad news for him as it would be his 4th or 5th concussion in the last 2 years and if so will be gone for a long while. And last but not least Domingue brought up from the minors as Igor banged up and looks like quick may be the goalie for a little bit. Next time we play the canes AHO should call in sick as he will be a DEAD MAN!

This news is a total disaster. Just when things were going well.