News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 20, 2024, 08:16:32 PMAt this point I just want everyone healthy for the playoffs. I'm not saying I don't care at all about seeding, but it's not nearly as important to me as it is to have everyone healthy. Ideally I hope Lindgren and Trouba are both back with at least 5-6 regular season games yet to get everything cohesive again, but frankly as long as they're ready for game one of the first series and as long as everyone is healthy, I'm fine. I know this team can compete with anyone when it's all hands on deck. They've already proven that to me. But if these current injuries linger and turn into issues that push into the playoffs, that will concern me. Being down our top two defensive defensemen is a problem.
Honestly, think I would rather be home for games 3 and 4 than 1 and 2.  This isn't 1985 where a team can make the play-offs with 70 points.  Every team in the play-offs is going to be good.  Not sure home-ice means anything anymore.

kartanoman

Those are both good points, i.e. health, particularly the defense, and the Rangers able to win on the road, especially in Carolina. They're also going to try and reinforce their ability to win in Boston tonight. That's one reason I'd call it a must-win game.

It would be good if they get one win this week and I penciled Boston as their best chance for two points.

This isn't our 1985-86 Rangers, agreed. But Beezer sure carried that group far and dueled with the guy who reminds me of the intense dude behind the Isles bench these days.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

babywhales

Quote from: coggs on March 21, 2024, 08:23:14 AMHonestly, think I would rather be home for games 3 and 4 than 1 and 2.  This isn't 1985 where a team can make the play-offs with 70 points.  Every team in the play-offs is going to be good.  Not sure home-ice means anything anymore.

Wouldn't you want home ice for game 7's?

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

DaveBrown74

Quote from: babywhales on March 21, 2024, 09:01:03 AMWouldn't you want home ice for game 7's?

I would, yes. But I wouldn't rush back crucial players from injury in the regular season for the purpose of trying to up my seed. I'd make sure they were fully healed before having them play a single regular season game.

Once in the playoffs, different story.

coggs

Quote from: babywhales on March 21, 2024, 09:01:03 AMWouldn't you want home ice for game 7's?

Honestly, think it is overrated as not that many series go 7.

DaveBrown74

I'm sure game 7 home teams over the long haul are better than .500, but we need to keep in mind that by definition any team playing at home in game 7 was the better regular season team than the visitor, so probably the better team period in most cases. I'd need to see a material edge to be convinced it's a big deal. Anecdotally it feels like it matters. But I'd need to see the data.

Either way, overrated or not, I wouldn't rush anyone back in the regular season for the purpose of jockeying for seeding. I don't think that's a smart move.

coggs

Good bounce back win tonight.  Looking forward to Saturday Night.

DaveBrown74

Great win. Big season sweep of Boston. Thought we looked great tonight. Bruins were a bit off but we had a great game plan and really executed tonight.

kartanoman

Had a good feel about the Rangers' chances in this one, and it was wise of Laviolette to put Quickie in goal tonight and he didn't let us down.

The Rangers had all the answers tonight and it didn't get much better with a strong defensive performance, great goaltending and the hat trick from the Breadman to seal the deal.

Getting Rempe back on the ice was a psychological lift. Quickie's victory ties him for most wins by a US born goalie (391). Foxy scoring again was huge. Jones and Scneider have played very well in the absence of Trouba and Lindgren. Even Miller played a heck of a game tonight. They all took Pastrňák out of the Boston attack and should be given a collective star for the game.

It was a must-win and they got it. They needed it more so for confidence than for keeping pace with Carolina who continues to win. Interestingly, Florida got blanked again; this time by red hot Nashville 3-0. Also, of interest, the Winnipeg Jets played the Devils tonight with their backup goalie and proceeded to get whipped by the Devils 4-1. So much for their quest to sweep the Northeast!

Can the Rangers find the winning formula against the Panthers on Saturday night?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Gmo11

They played excellent defense that 3rd period and this despite missing two of their top 4 defensemen.  I wasn't thrilled with their parking the bus effort for most of the period but to their credit they got it done.  Quick stood tall but the defense in front of him to me was the big story.  There were not a ton of high quality chances late in the game despite the fact that they were sitting on a precious 1 goal lead most of that time. 

And oh what a season from Panarin! Another hatty! That's 3 on the season after having I believe 4 in his career coming into this year.

kartanoman

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 22, 2024, 10:21:22 AMThey played excellent defense that 3rd period and this despite missing two of their top 4 defensemen.  I wasn't thrilled with their parking the bus effort for most of the period but to their credit they got it done.  Quick stood tall but the defense in front of him to me was the big story.  There were not a ton of high quality chances late in the game despite the fact that they were sitting on a precious 1 goal lead most of that time. 

And oh what a season from Panarin! Another hatty! That's 3 on the season after having I believe 4 in his career coming into this year.

Seeing Ranger hats hit the Boston ice is a treat and a half we rarely get to see. What's more is that the team is making a conscious effort to give him every chance possible to score goals and, with that in mind, 50 is probably within reach now.

I know we have debated the pros and cons of the Rangers finishing first in the Metro, the Eastern Conference and the NHL for the President's Trophy. There are two factors which come into play in this whole thing: the Bolts and the Canes. In other words, the last thing the Rangers would want is to draw Tampa in the first round. The second is that by letting Carolina win the Metro, the Rangers have proven they can win consistently in their building and, for the Canes, it's the same psychology with the Rangers as the Rangers with the Bolts?

Confused?

The Post's article talks this subject in detail which hits multiple "what if" scenarios. Had the Rangers just beaten Tampa, we probably wouldn't even think about this right now. But read for yourself and query your thoughts:

There are Rangers benefits to a runner-up Metro finish

Peace!

babywhales

Here is a Game 7 history for the NHL

Red Highlight represents road teams winning game 7.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_game_sevens

Without calculating it looks fairly even though.

Makes sense as home is in regular season is 54.5 and 54.9 in playoffs.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Messiah717

Big win over Florida.  The game had a playoff feel.  I don't really care so much about the President's Trophy but top seed in the East would be a huge plus.

DaveBrown74

Huge, huge win against a team that has had our number this year and looked like they had it again tonight. Panarin is on fire. Fox is playing great. Trochek is having a huge year. LaFreniere is a different player this year. Kreider rock solid as always. Zibs has picked his game up in the second half of the season. Best record in the league right now. I know all that matters is the playoffs, but I'd still rather have a great regular season than not.

kartanoman

After that National TV treat, all I can say is they finally hung tough and made their breaks to get not only the two points, but a psychological win over a team they very possibly could meet down the road.

What do you want to talk about? The Breadman's two goals? Troxheck's three assists? The Rangers exploding in the second period? Rempe taking on the Florida goons? Trocheck's miraculous save in overtime on the goal line? Igor turning away the final penalty shot to secure the win? The fact the Rangers are back on top of the NHL with this huge win?

Just a dramatic contest that felt like a playoff game. Both teams were missing their top defensemen; however both defenses played very well.

To get two wins this week was a huge accomplishment. This coming week won't be any easier. Philadelphia at the Garden on Tuesday will be a brawl. Then the final multi-game road trip of the regular season to Denver on Thursday to visit the Avs, which will be another battle of the best in the league (NOTE: Colorado is hot right now). Next Saturday will be a test against a team which has struggled all year, the Arizona Coyotes, in what could be a trap game. I'll be taking my family to Mullet Arena and we'll be sitting just under Sam and Joe so we'll try to make some noise on the air.

Great night of hockey tonight!

Peace!