News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

October 22

Started by katkavage, September 13, 2023, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

We are all speculating about the team after one game, albeit a horror show for the Giants. They are expected to win Sunday against one of the lesser teams in the league and lose the following Thursday to one of the better teams in the league. That leaves them, most likely, at 1-3. I feel the following three games, Dolphins, Bills and Commanders will be the most telling three and will give us a better idea of what kind of team they are and will be in 2023. You could make a case to extend that to the Jet's game the end of October, but by then, we will know if this team has any shot at the playoffs.

DaveBrown74

If I could lock in being 3-4 going into the Jets game, I would probably do it at this point. That would mean a 3-3 run from here, which, given (1) how we looked the other day and (2) the aggregate caliber of our upcoming opponents, doesn't sound all that bad to me. Keep in mind also that four of these next six games are road games.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 13, 2023, 02:11:35 PMIf I could lock in being 3-4 going into the Jets game, I would probably do it at this point. That would mean a 3-3 run from here, which, given (1) how we looked the other day and (2) the aggregate caliber of our upcoming opponents, doesn't sound all that bad to me. Keep in mind also that four of these next six games are road games.

Dave - this was the first time under Dabs I thought we were not prepared and out coached.  I trust that won't happen again near term.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on September 13, 2023, 02:25:47 PMDave - this was the first time under Dabs I thought we were not prepared and out coached.  I trust that won't happen again near term.

I agree, but being prepared doesn't guarantee winning obviously. If we are prepared and play more up to our abilities, I think a 3-3 stretch with 2/3 of those six games being (1) on the road and (2) against teams that were in the playoffs last year would be a more than satisfactory result. I'm not saying it's best case scenario or anything, but would I take it right now? Yes.

Rambo89

One thing is for sure Sunday in Arizona is a game you can't lose if you expect to be playing meaningful games in December.  Lose Sunday and there's a good chance you're looking at a Top 10 pick in next year's draft.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

spiderblue43

Well we know Camp Daboll left much to be desired starting the season. If this didn't shake their potential to emerge..it could be a nightmarish first half and little to rally toward.

They can't play much worse, right? /sarcasm/  :knockONwood:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 13, 2023, 03:02:41 PMOne thing is for sure Sunday in Arizona is a game you can't lose if you expect to be playing meaningful games in December.  Lose Sunday and there's a good chance you're looking at a Top 10 pick in next year's draft.

Totally agree and just made the same point in another thread. A loss on Sunday and we're very likely looking at 0-3. Obviously we wouldn't be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs at that point, but if they can't even beat a bottom five team in the league after being humiliated the week before and knowing that they have to play in San Fran 4 days later, then I don't see how anyone can realistically have any confidence left at that point.

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 13, 2023, 03:38:13 PMTotally agree and just made the same point in another thread. A loss on Sunday and we're very likely looking at 0-3. Obviously we wouldn't be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs at that point, but if they can't even beat a bottom five team in the league after being humiliated the week before and knowing that they have to play in San Fran 4 days later, then I don't see how anyone can realistically have any confidence left at that point.

Yeah the problem is what kat brought up about the schedule after Sunday and even next Thursday.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 13, 2023, 03:40:13 PMYeah the problem is what kat brought up about the schedule after Sunday and even next Thursday.

For sure, hence why I now feel 3-4 after 7 weeks would be a desirable result.

4xchamps

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 13, 2023, 03:43:05 PMFor sure, hence why I now feel 3-4 after 7 weeks would be a desirable result.

LOL how about we let the season play out a bit instead of being part of the "overreaction Mondays"?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: 4xchamps on September 13, 2023, 03:47:57 PMLOL how about we let the season play out a bit instead of being part of the "overreaction Mondays"?

I'm not sure why thinking that a .500 run over the next 6 games would be a decent outcome for a team whose regular season win total over/under was 7.5 BEFORE the Dallas game is an "overreaction."

The real overreaction was thinking we were going to be awesome this year because our starting offense looked good for a series or two in a meaningless game against one of the league's worst defenses.