News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some teams have the eye for O line talent, SOME DON’T 😡

Started by GloryDays, September 15, 2023, 04:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

I just watched the Eagles / Vikings game and was surprised to see how dominant the Philly O line was, giving them easy 1st downs and scores, making their QB and RBs look better than they are.
In contrast, our team has been struggling on Offense for years, solely because of our weak O lines, as a result, our promising QB and RB, two players who the team spent very high prices in the first round, 6th and a 2nd players overall, to not be able to use their skills to produce what they are capable of!

Our present O line that in their opening game on national TV, was an embarrassment and a total failure as a group, consists of two high first round, one second round and street free agents.

Let's see how the hated Eagles built their dominant line:

Jordan Mailata. LT

Lafoga Jordan Mailata (/maɪˈlɑːtɑː/;[2] born 31 March 1997) is an Australian professional American football offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League (NFL). He previously played rugby league for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs under-18s team and the South Sydney Rabbitohs on their under-20s team. He joined the NFL via the league's International Player Pathway Program and was selected in the 7th round, 233rd overall by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2018 NFL Draft.

————
Landon Dickerson, LG

Landon Dickerson (born September 30, 1998) is an American football guard for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Florida State and Alabama, and was drafted by the Eagles 37th overall in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

———-
Jason Kelce, OC

Jason Daniel Kelce (/ˈkɛlsi/;[1] born November 5, 1987) is an American football center for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League (NFL) and podcaster. He was selected by the Eagles in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He played college football for the Cincinnati Bearcats. Kelce is a Super Bowl champion, six-time Pro Bowl selection, and five-time first-team All-Pro selection
———-
Cam Jurgens, RG

Cameron Jurgens (born August 21, 1999) is an American football offensive guard for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Nebraska.
No. 51 – Philadelphia Eagles
Born:
August 21, 1999 (age 24)
Beatrice, Nebraska, U.S.
6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)
303 lb (137 kg)
College:
Nebraska (2018–2021)
NFL Draft:
2022 / Round: 2 / Pick: 51
————

Lane Johnson, RT

David Lane Johnson (born May 8, 1990) is an American football offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Eagles fourth overall in the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Kilgore College before transferring to Oklahoma.
———-_

One high first round pick over 10 years with their team, two 2nd round, one 6th rounder and their strong left tackle, they were able to get in the 7th round, an Australian Rugby player via the international player path! None of their starters are street free agents.

When are our Giants going to get themselves the right scouts who have the eyes and can project O line talent correctly?!!

Gman329

Good post.  This has mystified me for years! The resouces we have spent on the OL, without any real descernible improvement is the most maddening piece of our 10+ year struggle. How many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks have we spent?  How many FAs?  Seems like more have been abject busts than those who actually helped us. Until we figure this out - or get a lot luckier - a Wild Card and early exit is the best we can hope for.   

kingm56

Rambo89

Eagles are a well run franchise as much as I hate them they are probably the best run in the sport.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 15, 2023, 08:37:31 AMEagles are a well run franchise as much as I hate them they are probably the best run in the sport.

Totally true. Unfortunately.

zephirus

I imagine the continuity they enjoy in the front office in Howie Roseman has something to do with it whereas the Giants had 3 different GMs over a 6 year span.

True Blue

OL is an issue, but the offense isn't struggling "solely" because of it.

We have dealt with many injuries over the years, Schoen is still TBD but DG drafted poorly and was even worse with cap management and FA signings as well as selecting coaches

DJ has his struggles and flaws, while not all his fault or in his control, he does make mistakes and leaves plays out there.

Saquon has often been injured and doesn't seem capable of being effective for a full season. He is very good, but the injuries definitely took a toll. He slowed down alot last year.

Our WRs are good but no #1 and Waller has significant injury concerns if he stays healthy enough we have this again, but TBD

With that said, I agree the Eagles are probably sadly the best run team in the NFL, Roseman is the best GM and #2 is not remotely close

Dgoodmantrublu

The Giants have turned over much of the scouting staff in the last year. Remember that the first Schoen draft was with the previous staff. This past draft was the first year with the staff Schoen put in place. That said, no one thought Evan Neal was gonna be this bad. Some had him ranked as the top pick in the draft. It is truly baffling what is going on. I tend to think a new OL coach is in order. I'd back up the brinks truck to get Mike Munchak on the staff.

AZGiantFan

They used to be good at this.  The best Giants O-line in the last 25 years was:

66 David Diehl T 5th round - homegrown
67 Kareem McKenzie T 3rd round - FA
60 Shaun O'Hara C  UDFA - trade
69 Rich Seubert G UDFA - homegrown
76 Chris Snee G - 2nd round - homegrown (thank goodness for nepotism, LOL)

Even the depth, Kevin Boothe, Adam Kouets, and Grey Ruegamer were very good.  They'd all have made this team, and at least one of them as a starter.

Now with 2 firsts and a 2nd they can't get it together.  I think the football gods are punishing them for their criminal neglect of the line starting in 2012.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

GloryDays

Quote from: kingm56 on September 15, 2023, 07:48:03 AMYou literally just copied and pasted from wiki...

I did, so?!
As I said I was surprised at their dominance.. I didn't even know their names except for Johnson and Kelse; so I looked them up and got their name's then I Wikied the names to see how where they acquired and shared the results here.
Anything wrong with that?!

GloryDays

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 16, 2023, 12:23:59 AMThey used to be good at this.  The best Giants O-line in the last 25 years was:

66 David Diehl T 5th round - homegrown
67 Kareem McKenzie T 3rd round - FA
60 Shaun O'Hara C  UDFA - trade
69 Rich Seubert G UDFA - homegrown
76 Chris Snee G - 2nd round - homegrown (thank goodness for nepotism, LOL)

Even the depth, Kevin Boothe, Adam Kouets, and Grey Ruegamer were very good.  They'd all have made this team, and at least one of them as a starter.

Now with 2 firsts and a 2nd they can't get it together.  I think the football gods are punishing them for their criminal neglect of the line starting in 2012.
Yes, that was the last time this team had a decent line. amazing how long have we been experiencing mediocrity in drafting O linemen!!