News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones on the Playcalling Rumors

Started by Rambo89, September 19, 2023, 08:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

https://twitter.com/heykayadams/status/1704158635889393945?s=46

Wouldn't expect him to throw anyone under the bus but thought it was interesting to hear him say it's Daboll's offense.  Sounds like it's a collaboration more so than anything.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

One way or another (either with Kafka as his mouthpiece, or directly), Daboll was orchestrating the Giants' offense in the second half. I won't be convinced otherwise.

True Blue

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 19, 2023, 08:36:15 PMOne way or another (either with Kafka as his mouthpiece, or directly), Daboll was orchestrating the Giants' offense in the second half. I won't be convinced otherwise.

Same. Outside of direct admission by Daboll I won't think otherwise either.

Daboll took over and coached the team to a win. If he is that much better than Kafka, he should stick to calling plays, they were what everyone hoped they would be for those two quarters

Trench

Quote from: True Blue on September 19, 2023, 08:39:38 PMSame. Outside of direct admission by Daboll I won't think otherwise either.

Daboll took over and coached the team to a win. If he is that much better than Kafka, he should stick to calling plays, they were what everyone hoped they would be for those two quarters

I disagree. Just because he took over and did much better doesn't mean he needs to do it forever. Maybe he was sending a message or maybe he saw the huge deficit and was just teaching his young assistant. Perhaps it can be an excellent lesson for Kafka and a defining moment in his coaching career. 

Now, if it becomes a habit...

True Blue

Quote from: Trench on September 19, 2023, 08:48:55 PMI disagree. Just because he took over and did much better doesn't mean he needs to do it forever. Maybe he was sending a message or maybe he saw the huge deficit and was just teaching his young assistant. Perhaps it can be an excellent lesson for Kafka and a defining moment in his coaching career. 

Now, if it becomes a habit...

That may very well be the case, that is a valid point. Lighting a fire under Kafkas ass could also work. I'll take any configuration where we are putting points on the board at the end of the day.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: True Blue on September 19, 2023, 08:51:53 PMThat may very well be the case, that is a valid point. Lighting a fire under Kafkas ass could also work. I'll take any configuration where we are putting points on the board at the end of the day.

That's kind of how I feel about it.  I think it is perfectly fine if the HC takes a more active role and coaches the OC in what he wants to see in the play-calling. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Good stuff by
@charlottecrrll
 digging deeper on the play-calling mystery: https://theathletic.com/4879086/2023/09/20/new-york-giants-brian-daboll-play-calling-mike-kafka/

Did some digging to learn about the mechanics of the coach-to-QB communication in the screen grab.

My take after re-watching the game: Leaning toward Daboll having more input but not actually calling the plays, hence Jones' "I got the plays from Kafka" line being true. It seemed like Daboll was shown talking a lot when Jones was in the huddle or they were breaking the huddle, which makes me think he was talking to Kafka about what he wanted next
11:22 AM · Sep 20, 2023
·
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Thegratefulhead

Daboll understood that we needed to push the ball downfield and made sure it happened.

The coach oversees the DC and OC.

That's his job.

HC gives some input and we all go bonkers.

Working as intended.

Let's not create drama for our team.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

MightyGiants

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Think it's important to note when debating whether Brian Daboll took over playcalling from OC Mike Kafka in the second half Sunday (I don't believe he did):

Kafka is in the booth up top, not on the sideline. So all conversations between Kafka/Daboll and others done on the radio.

So when Daboll shielding his mouth with his play sheet, it's likely also so cameras are not capturing his conversations with Kafka.

I think the HC got more involved, and with Giants being skunked 60-0 over 6 quarters, I'd be more shocked if Daboll didn't become more forceful.

That's, you know, his job, and we all know NYG offense is at its best when Daboll and Kafka work together.
12:25 PM · Sep 20, 2023
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Yep sounds like it's a collaboration though Daboll may have gotten more involved than he usually does in this case.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Thegratefulhead on September 20, 2023, 11:58:22 AMDaboll understood that we needed to push the ball downfield and made sure it happened.

The coach oversees the DC and OC.

That's his job.

HC gives some input and we all go bonkers.

Working as intended.

Let's not create drama for our team.

Or, rather, let's not buy into the drama the media is creating for our team.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 20, 2023, 12:40:27 PMOr, rather, let's not buy into the drama the media is creating for our team.
That's what my thoughts are. Something was figured out in the second half. Let's see if it works Thursday night. I couldn't care less who figured it out. Just get a damn 'W' and come home.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

Love how Daniel Jones does the "smirk".  Eli was a master smirker :laugh:
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 20, 2023, 02:40:32 PMLove how Daniel Jones does the "smirk".  Eli was a master smirker :laugh:

Ah there wasn't a smirk

BluesCruz

I love how we can ham it up now that we evened the season

Not have to worry about running around in the garden burying Gnomes upside down
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"