News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Love vs Slayton

Started by EDjohnst1981, September 30, 2023, 05:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Julian Love signed for the Seahawks for 12million over 2 years with 5.9mil guaranteed.

Slayton signed for 12 mil over two years with 4.9mil guaranteed.

At the time it appeared that it was either one or the other, owing to the cap situation the giants found themselves in and their contracts are effectively a wash.

With Slayton doing next to nothing (alongside the majority of the offensive this season), do you wish we signed Love and let Slayton walk?

I'd probably have preferred Love, although his PFF grade of 51 highlights that he's allowed the most receptions at the safety position and he's not setting the world on fire.

For me, Slayton plays well in patches but he's not a constant threat.

With the return of Love on Monday night, I thought it would make an interesting conversation.

DaveBrown74

Considering what a disappointment McKinney has been this year and also considering that Pinnock, despite coming into this season with plenty of accolades, hasn't exactly been Troy Polamalu back there, I'd probably keep Love instead of Slayton if I had to do it again.

Remind me though - weren't the circumstances around Love's departure strange? Wasn't it more a case that he decided to bolt before Schoen got to his contract? I felt like it was a weird situation where he might have actually gotten paid slightly more if he stayed with us but he didn't want to pass up the chance to move to Seattle or something? I don't remember the exact details, but if memory serves it wasn't a situation where we just voluntarily let him walk or necessarily wanted him to.

EDjohnst1981

Both sides spoke at the bye week but Love wanted 10mil per year. Clearly Bobby was getting that.

But when they couldn't get close, he decided to walk. Which is fair enough.

But thinking he's not worth 6mil per year? I'm not sure I agree with that. Especially at looking where the money was spent on players that have done nothing like Campbell and to a degree, Slayton.

MightyGiants

I think this is an interesting topic.  Although, with the problems the Giants have, I don't think either player makes a difference.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 30, 2023, 07:58:05 AMI think this is an interesting topic.  Although, with the problems the Giants have, I don't think either player makes a difference.

Yeah, I couldn't have said it better myself. Both Slayton and Love are negligible to the outcome of the Giants season.

True Blue

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 30, 2023, 09:29:42 AMYeah, I couldn't have said it better myself. Both Slayton and Love are negligible to the outcome of the Giants season.
Quote from: MightyGiants on September 30, 2023, 07:58:05 AMI think this is an interesting topic.  Although, with the problems the Giants have, I don't think either player makes a difference.

Not trying to stir a debate, moreso curious how you both think Love wouldn't help, I feel he was one of our best defenders last year.

To answer the question, I'd have signed Love and passed on Campbell in hindsight. Shame cause I was excited to have him initially

Ed Vette

Slayton was the Giants number one receiver in yards last season and he is so far this season. They added weapons so why take away their best one?

The money allocated to Defense and the decision on Love had more to do with the Bobby Okereke signing and the depth at DB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giantleap56

Isn't Love dealing with hamstring issues? He would have fit right in with the rest of the Giants.

sxdxca38

Quote from: True Blue on September 30, 2023, 09:38:14 AMNot trying to stir a debate, moreso curious how you both think Love wouldn't help, I feel he was one of our best defenders last year.

To answer the question, I'd have signed Love and passed on Campbell in hindsight. Shame cause I was excited to have him initially

Love had a good year last year, but he's not doing well this year, and in 2021 and 2020 he was pretty bad.

All in all, he's just a "jag", and maybe he'd help a little on d, but this teams pass rush is abysmal, and he won't be able to cover that up in my opinion.

True Blue

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 30, 2023, 01:46:07 PMLove had a good year last year, but he's not doing well this year, and in 2021 and 2020 he was pretty bad.

All in all, he's just a "jag", and maybe he'd help a little on d, but this teams pass rush is abysmal, and he won't be able to cover that up in my opinion.

Isn't he leading Seattle in tackles? I could be wrong, but hes on a new team and system, im not sure that's indicative of how he would be here. But thats fair, but I really wish they kept him.

Jclayton92

Love was virtually the only player on the team last year that got turnovers couple that with him being top 5 among any defensive player in tackles, and his leadership... Give me Love all day every day, guy played offense, every spot in the defensive backfield, and specials. That's the guy you sign.

Dgoodmantrublu

Love has been really bad so far in Seattle. 5 missed tackles and getting beat in coverage.

bamagiantfan

The annual "why do we still have Slayton" topic. It only took 3 weeks this season.

All he does is stay healthy and catch passes, something the rest of the Giants receivers have struggled with over the entire time Slayton has been here.

Other than Hodgins, Slayton is the only WR on the team who has earned his spot, which is to be a capable backup, WR4.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)