News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Carl Banks on Offensive Line Play in the NFL

Started by Rambo89, October 02, 2023, 03:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Ask Josh Allen how an effective Run Game helps the Oline and QB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 03:11:25 PMhttps://twitter.com/carlbanksgiii/status/1708911278775750666?s=61

He's not wrong if you watch enough games that don't involve the Giants.

I appreciate that you appreciate how bad O-line can hamper the play of great QBs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Giants were fourth in the league in rushing yards per game in 2022. So presumably that helped our O line play?

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 05:33:50 PMI appreciate that you appreciate how bad O-line can hamper the play of great QBs

Which Daniel Jones isn't.

Point of this thread is bad offensive line play isn't unique in the NFL.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 05:39:21 PMWhich Daniel Jones isn't.

Point of this thread is bad offensive line play isn't unique in the NFL.

How do we know what Jones can do?  He's only had bad O-line play.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 06:00:56 PMHow do we know what Jones can do?  He's only had bad O-line play.

As do most of the QB's in the league.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 06:01:42 PMAs do most of the QB's in the league.

As Banks said, the ones who have done poorly
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 06:04:16 PMAs Banks said, the ones who have done poorly

Ok so only the great QB's are ones who get great offensive line play?  Is that what we're saying?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 06:06:20 PMOk so only the great QB's are ones who get great offensive line play?  Is that what we're saying?

Good O line play obviously helps QBs, no questions asked. But we have seen certain QBs play at a very high level with poor O line play. Herbert in his rookie season is one example but there are plenty of others. The two are not mutually exclusive per the hard evidence on the ground. I think it's one of the things that can separate great QBs from all the rest of them.

True Blue

Difference between DJ and the greats is the great ones don't need to be propped up from every direction and then gorilla glued into place.

He is capable of playing very well if he gets the OL and WRs, coaches etc but that is a situation virtually any QB can succeed in. What can he do that others can't, and how has he demonstrated as such?

Everyone has a down week here and there, but the greats are much more consistent, and cook with what they got, and make it work more often than not

I like DJ, I wish him all the success. He was far away our best option for this season and potentially next.

I hope he proves me wrong, but between looking ordinary thus far, and not making plays availabile to him while failing to step up to top teams and look viable, I am starting to get concerned about the season as a whole, and hope (and think tonight will be) a get right game for him and the offense, I think they can put some points up against this D

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 02, 2023, 06:10:30 PMGood O line play obviously helps QBs, no questions asked. But we have seen certain QBs play at a very high level with poor O line play. Herbert in his rookie season is one example but there are plenty of others. The two are not mutually exclusive per the hard evidence on the ground. I think it's one of the things that can separate great QBs from all the rest of them.

What's important to note those that overcome the poor O-line had good to great receivers.   It's all interconnected.  There are no examples of QBs overcoming poor protection and poor receivers.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 06:22:06 PMWhat's important to note those that overcome the poor O-line had good to great receivers.   It's all interconnected.  There are no examples of QBs overcoming poor protection and poor receivers.

DJ has receivers now, some who have been wide open and he doesn't get it to him for one reason or another.

Philosophers

I saw the Jets vs Chiefs game in which Mahommes dis not have consistentky good pockets like he normally gets.  He was something like 18-30 for 205 yards and I think 1 TD, 2 INTs and a rating lime 68.  Even great QBs look average with marginal OL play.

katkavage

There are maybe five to ten good offensive lines in the NFL. Most QBs have to do deal with it. Suck it up and overcome it as best you can.