News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Time for a serious, no-spin conversation about Daniel Jones

Started by DaveBrown74, October 02, 2023, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I know this is a sensitive topic for people, but I really think it has to happen. We are 1-3 now and staring down the barrel at 1-5, barring a shocking upset. And even if we get a shocking upset in Miami or Buffalo, we're looking at 2-4. The season is clearly over, and it looks like we're headed for a top 10 if not top 5 pick.

This is a loaded QB draft. If you're the front office, would you double down on Jones and restructure his contract by adding years and spreading out the 2024 $47mm cap hit to free up space in the short term and try to keep building the franchise around him?

Or would you consider drafting a QB in what is going to be a QB-loaded draft?

It's a serious question, and I think it needs to be discussed. Because this is simply not good enough.

T200

This is not going to go well. Never has, never will. What's the over/under till it gets locked???  :-??
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

JT39

I'm definitely ok drafting a QB. Even I defended Jones and still good with this. If we had the number 1 pick - send Jones packing.

Williams
Ewers
Maye
McCarthy

All good with them. DB, my problem is so we trust Schoen to make the right call.

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on October 02, 2023, 11:14:22 PMThis is not going to go well. Never has, never will. What's the over/under till it gets locked???  :-??

Lol.  I just don't believe some fans are ready to accept what I view as an obvious reality.

MagicRat

I think, whatever Jones was coming out, his race is run.
Whether he was never good enough or whether we've "David Carr-ed" him is immaterial now.
The guy's pocket radar and field awareness is shot.
Theoretically worse QBs than Jones haven't fallen apart like he has behind bad O lines.

Looks like we're heading for a top five pick so we need to look at a QB.
The bigger question is, do we trust this GM HC combo to continue/start-over the rebuild?
Smell my cheese you mother!

AYM

Quote from: MagicRat on October 02, 2023, 11:17:45 PMI think, whatever Jones was coming out, his race is run.
Whether he was never good enough or whether we've "David Carr-ed" him is immaterial now.
The guy's pocket radar and field awareness is shot.
Theoretically worse QBs than Jones haven't fallen apart like he has behind bad O lines.

Looks like we're heading for a top five pick so we need to look at a QB.
The bigger question is, do we trust this GM HC combo to continue/start-over the rebuild?

Given 2 drafts so far, I do not.

If we end up in position to draft a QB, I want a new regime making that decision.

Ed Vette

Eleven sacks. Wrap your head around that. He's not the worst problem.

That said, this season isn't going to bode well for Daboll, Schoen and Jones. If they have a top five pick, as it looks now, they draft a QB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

Jones is the easy culprit for the team failures but man Daboll and Schoen aren't far behind.

T200

Doesn't matter who is under center... if the line can't protect him, it won't mean much. We'll win a few more games but the risk of injury is greater with each hit behind a TP line.

MagicRat

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 11:21:41 PMJones is the easy culprit for the team failures but man Daboll and Schoen aren't far behind.
We've looked shockingly ill-prepared for both the season and the various individual games.
There are issues beyond Jones, but Jones is now a major issue also.
Smell my cheese you mother!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 02, 2023, 11:14:22 PMThis is not going to go well. Never has, never will. What's the over/under till it gets locked???  :-??

I certainly have no intention of being disrespectful to anyone here, and I hope nobody else does. I'm hoping for a serious, thoughtful discussion about a very serious and concerning topic for all Giants fans. If it devolves into a petty fight that will be a shame, because I fully believe it's a discussion worth having at this point. I think it's a safe bet the GM is pondering this topic tonight. He is well aware of the QBs that are coming out this year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 11:16:25 PMI'm definitely ok drafting a QB. Even I defended Jones and still good with this. If we had the number 1 pick - send Jones packing.

Williams
Ewers
Maye
McCarthy

All good with them. DB, my problem is so we trust Schoen to make the right call.

Totally reasonable concern JT. Although I think we can say that it's fair to be concerned about his ability to pick ANY position, not just QB. Fair?

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 02, 2023, 11:24:13 PMI certainly have no intention of being disrespectful to anyone here, and I hope nobody else does. I'm hoping for a serious, thoughtful discussion about a very serious and concerning topic for all Giants fans. If it devolves into a petty fight that will be a shame, because I fully believe it's a discussion worth having at this point. I think it's a safe bet the GM is pondering this topic tonight. He is well aware of the QBs that are coming out this year.
I know you don't.

AYM

Since Daboll's 6-1 start, he's been something like 5-10-1 since. I think the jury's out and this is the real Daboll.

As far as Schoen goes, as I said before, if we're near the top of the draft and looking at QB, a new regime needs to make that call. Schoen already got to pick his QB when he resigned Jones.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 02, 2023, 11:21:06 PMEleven sacks. Wrap your head around that. He's not the worst problem.

That said, this season isn't going to bode well for Daboll, Schoen and Jones. If they have a top five pick, as it looks now, they draft a QB.

I get that, but if he's not our worst problem, he's certainly our most expensive problem. Which due to the nature of the cap kind of makes him the worst problem. Replacing a guard with a quality veteran costs a fraction of what Jones costs.