News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Time for a serious, no-spin conversation about Daniel Jones

Started by DaveBrown74, October 02, 2023, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Jones isn't the only problem but I'm not convinced he's the answer to any question.

If you're drafting in the top 5, and the QB class is loaded, you take a QB. He can compete with Jones in camp and if he beats him out, he starts. If he doesn't, he sits for the year.

You then cut Jones and spread the cap hit out.

That's the out in the two years that many of us alluded to in the spring.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 02, 2023, 11:25:14 PMTotally reasonable concern JT. Although I think we can say that it's fair to be concerned about his ability to pick ANY position, not just QB. Fair?

More than just fair. Might be absolute fact.

Ed Vette

I hate to say it but Daboll may not survive this season. The team right now looks badly coached. They could very well be 0-4 right now. It's a bad situation.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 02, 2023, 11:27:24 PMJones isn't the only problem but I'm not convinced he's the answer to any question.

If you're drafting in the top 5, and the QB class is loaded, you take a QB. He can compete with Jones in camp and if he beats him out, he starts. If he doesn't, he sits for the year.

You then cut Jones and spread the cap hit out.

That's the out in the two years that many of us alluded to in the spring.
I was all for Jones staying, provided the Giants put a solid line in front of him. Jones cannot overcome little or no protection. He needs a stellar supporting cast. Without that, he's below average and does nothing for the team.

If they can't protect him, they need to bring in someone who is more adept at weathering pressure and storms.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 02, 2023, 11:28:36 PMI hate to say it but Daboll may not survive this season. The team right now looks badly coached. They could very well be 0-4 right now. It's a bad situation.

I thinks he's guaranteed to get one more year, Ed. But your point is well taken, the antics on the sideline we're almost as embarrassing as Joe judge press conference meltdown.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on October 02, 2023, 11:26:22 PMSince Daboll's 6-1 start, he's been something like 5-10-1 since. I think the jury's out and this is the real Daboll.

It's really hard to disagree. I was basically 100% convinced we had finally found a real coach that we could build around, but this losing goes beyond losing due to a lack of talent (which is a huge part of it). The team is totally undisciplined and unprepared. They also appear to be severely lacking in effort this year. All of that is always on the coach IMO.

I think Daboll has some good will from last year though still. He did win coach of the year, and I think every Giants fan felt he deserved it. I'm not defending the job he is doing this year in any way, shape, or form, but I don't think I'd fire him after this year under any circumstances. Same with Schoen.

The big question in the offseason will be whether or not they restructure that Jones contract. Right now I would say it is clearly trending that they will not.

In fact, I think if this losing continues and they get to 1-5 or 1-6, it will be worth moving some vets out for picks. This isn't a matter of touching a few things up. The team needs a gut job. Again.

nicky1000

Quote from: AYM on October 02, 2023, 11:20:19 PMGiven 2 drafts so far, I do not.

If we end up in position to draft a QB, I want a new regime making that decision.

We may get a QB but Mara will not pull
the plug on this GM/coach regime. Will NOT happen. That said, Kafka/Wink/Disaster Special Teams coach will move
on next year.

Topshelf21

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 02, 2023, 11:28:36 PMI hate to say it but Daboll may not survive this season. The team right now looks badly coached. They could very well be 0-4 right now. It's a bad situation.

I honestly can't believe we are talking about this AGAIN!?!?!?!?

It's like a nightmare that just keeps showing up every time you go to sleep.

The arc of improvement never seems to go up on a continuous basis for us...

We were given hope last year and this hurts even worse than another shitty season we could have had last year instead of thinking we were on the way back to competitive football again.

jgrangers2

Outside of his legs, he's nothing special. Will never be a guy who elevates a team with his arm because he doesn't read the field well and never makes anticipatory throws. The pick six today that should have been a TD to Waller is a prime example. I see highlights all the time of QBs making throws into tight windows, on the boundaries or into the corners of the end zone (look at Geno's pass to Metcalf today as a prime example). You never see those difference making throws from Jones.

I trust him to sometimes make plays out of nothing his legs, but I rarely expect him to add anything above and beyond with his mind and arm.

gregf

If a top qb is in reach, I think they take him. Sadly, if a top OT is in reach, that's the next choice as of now. 

killarich

Jones was bad no defending that ...that pick 6 killed any chance we had at that game ... no excuse for Jones ...he's paid the big bucks and is playing bad

But 11 sacks... and it's not 11 coverage sacks ...the o line play was criminal less than a second it seems like Jones was hit

Like I said Jones played terrible ... but I don't think any other qb can be great with that protection ...I mean we may get a few more wins but the team overall is still pretty bad right now

One thing Jones is ...he's tough ... another QB may have already been injured at this point

But if we are picking top 5 and a top tier qb is there ... then yea even I am willing to take a qb ... but the o line still needs to be fixed

Ed Vette

Quote from: Topshelf21 on October 02, 2023, 11:37:15 PMI honestly can't believe we are talking about this AGAIN!?!?!?!?

It's like a nightmare that just keeps showing up every time you go to sleep.

The arc of improvement never seems to go up on a continuous basis for us...

We were given hope last year and this hurts even worse than another shitty season we could have had last year instead of thinking we were on the way back to competitive football again.
It's actually sad. I really like Daboll and I don't think he's set up to fire a couple of Position Coaches like Coughlin was able to do. The fact remains that he supported Jones and his Staff. However if they wind up 1-11 at the bye, this town and the media will not be kind.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Quote from: T200 on October 02, 2023, 11:14:22 PMThis is not going to go well. Never has, never will. What's the over/under till it gets locked???  :-??

Well we all
Have a right to an opinion. Jones is a backup caliber QB. Many will say I'm being negative but I'm not. A backup NFL QB is a big deal. We won a Super Bowl with one.

I fought hard to support this guy. He doesn't have the "it" factor. No field vision, no sideline presence, walked by his coach today without a care in the world and I found it to be disgusting.

I supported this guy, said I'll eat crow if he succeeds. Well he can't. He just isn't that good. So all you guys who love to blast anyone with a different of opinion have at it!...I'm furious with this QB and this team.

sooners56

It's a no brainer that you draft a QB if a top tier one is available in the draft. It's not all on Jones but he just isn't the QB of the future imo
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Trench

Quote from: killarich on October 02, 2023, 11:45:47 PMJones was bad no defending that ...that pick 6 killed any chance we had at that game ... no excuse for Jones ...he's paid the big bucks and is playing bad

But 11 sacks... and it's not 11 coverage sacks ...the o line play was criminal less than a second it seems like Jones was hit

Like I said Jones played terrible ... but I don't think any other qb can be great with that protection ...I mean we may get a few more wins but the team overall is still pretty bad right now

One thing Jones is ...he's tough ... another QB may have already been injured at this point

But if we are picking top 5 and a top tier qb is there ... then yea even I am willing to take a qb ... but the o line still needs to be fixed

Agreed Jones is tough. Kudos deserved. He's also a good representative of old school Giants football. But Jones is a tunnel vision guy. That hurts him