News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Time for a serious, no-spin conversation about Daniel Jones

Started by DaveBrown74, October 02, 2023, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 07:44:32 AMWho said the players resent Jones?  If anything I've heard them all defend and be loyal to him throughout his career.  I don't buy it for a second that they resent him.

The post i was responding to intitally.

MightyGiants

11 Sacks, I think they may have broken Daniel Jones.  As Mara confessed-  ""We've done everything possible to screw this kid up since he's been here"  Jones looks shell-shocked out there thanks to the incompetency of NYG management.

Daniel Jones: It was unacceptable and I let the team down

Sunday night's game at MetLife Stadium featured a lot of cutaways to Taylor Swift in the crowd, but she wasn't there on Monday night and one of the lasting images of that game was Giants head coach Brian Daboll angrily throwing a tablet down after showing quarterback Daniel Jones something on it.

The exchange came after Jones threw an interception that Seahawks rookie corner Devon Witherspoon returned for a touchdown late in the third quarter. That play was part of a miserable night for Jones and the entire Giants offense as they gave up 11 sacks and turned the ball over three times during a 24-3 loss.

In his postgame press conference, Daboll said he wouldn't share the "particulars" of his conversation with Jones but gave the gist of what he didn't like about what he wanted Jones to do on that play.

"Well, obviously not throw an interception," Daboll said.

The 11 sacks make it clear that the offensive issues were widespread and the absence of running back Saquon Barkley didn't do anything to help the Giants either, but Jones was only pointing the finger at himself after the loss. He called the interception a "terrible decision and awful mistake" that was part of a miserable night.

"I mean obviously I didn't play well enough," Jones said. "It was unacceptable and I let the team down, so I've got to fix it. I've got to work hard to get it right and I'm going to do that."

The Giants are now 1-3 and they've been outscored 94-15 in their three losses, which is an easy way to illustrate how bad they've played in those games. Trips to Miami and Buffalo are on tap for the next two weeks, so Daboll, Jones and everyone else have to do a lot of work quickly if they want to keep things from going totally off the rails.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/daniel-jones-it-was-unacceptable-and-i-let-the-team-down
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sav

I don't know how anyone can be blaming Jones for this year. He is getting destroyed back there. Now, to answer your question. The Giants overachieved last year and people came into the year with some unrealistic expectations. This is a WR driven league. All the good teams have an elite WR:
Eagles have 2
Buff-Diggs
Miami has 2
Dallas has Lamb
Det has St Brown
KC has Kelce
SF has 3
And they have coaches who design plays to get the ball in their hands as much as possible.
The Giants don't have one player like that, and even if we did, the line is not giving the quarterback enough time to reach one. Many teams across the NFL have the same problem. Look at Cincinnati, the Jets have the same problem. It seems many teams across the NFL have a problem on the offensive line , it's not like the Giants havent addressed this problem through the draft in the last couple of years, they have, but the team is not deep enough to withstand the injuries. And they have too many holes everywhere to be addressing it again in the draft. � but with all the holes on the team, the Giants are not gonna take that next step without that elite play making receiver, people want to give up on Jones already, but I would argue that Marvin Harrison jr �would help this team more than any of the quarterbacks in the draft. You need that guy who is gonna give you leads by making a play to get 6, getting a 1st down to keep a drive going, a guy who is gonna scare the hell out of DCs. We do not have that guy. And I don't feel we are using guys correctly, anyone who is watched Hyatt play at Tennessee knows what he brings to the table as a deep threat. I think he's run one go route in four games and it was successful. Now I know Jones doesn't have the time to make those throws but You got a find a way at least once a quarter �

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sav on October 03, 2023, 07:52:01 AMI don't know how anyone can be blaming Jones for this year. He is getting destroyed back there. Now, to answer your question. The Giants overachieved last year and people came into the year with some unrealistic expectations. This is a WR driven league. All the good teams have an elite WR:
Eagles have 2
Buff-Diggs
Miami has 2
Dallas has Lamb
Det has St Brown
KC has Kelce
SF has 3
And they have coaches who design plays to get the ball in their hands as much as possible.
The Giants don't have one player like that, and even if we did, the line is not giving the quarterback enough time to reach one. Many teams across the NFL have the same problem. Look at Cincinnati, the Jets have the same problem. It seems many teams across the NFL have a problem on the offensive line , it's not like the Giants havent addressed this problem through the draft in the last couple of years, they have, but the team is not deep enough to withstand the injuries. And they have too many holes everywhere to be addressing it again in the draft. � but with all the holes on the team, the Giants are not gonna take that next step without that elite play making receiver, people want to give up on Jones already, but I would argue that Marvin Harrison jr �would help this team more than any of the quarterbacks in the draft. You need that guy who is gonna give you leads by making a play to get 6, getting a 1st down to keep a drive going, a guy who is gonna scare the hell out of DCs. We do not have that guy. And I don't feel we are using guys correctly, anyone who is watched Hyatt play at Tennessee knows what he brings to the table as a deep threat. I think he's run one go route in four games and it was successful. Now I know Jones doesn't have the time to make those throws but You got a find a way at least once a quarter �

Welcome Sav  :greetings:

Well done post
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Most of the sacks came after the pick 6 when the game was over.  In the first half the line play was good enough to make plays downfield.

If Jones is broken then it's time to move on.  There's no use in holding onto a broken QB while you're building out the rest of the roster.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Gmo11

Quote from: Sav on October 03, 2023, 07:52:01 AMI don't know how anyone can be blaming Jones for this year. He is getting destroyed back there. Now, to answer your question. The Giants overachieved last year and people came into the year with some unrealistic expectations. This is a WR driven league. All the good teams have an elite WR:
Eagles have 2
Buff-Diggs
Miami has 2
Dallas has Lamb
Det has St Brown
KC has Kelce
SF has 3

The problem is when he does get the time to make that play he very often doesn't. That OL was disgusting yesterday. But even with that an average QB could have made it 14-10 in the 3rd quarter. Hell a below average QB could have seen Waller running wide freaking open. And if you're not going to throw it to the open guy in the end zone tuck it and run. Just for the love of God don't throw a back breaking game ending INT!  The OL should be ashamed of themselves after that performance but I'd argue Jones should too.

T200

Quote from: JT39 on October 03, 2023, 07:07:29 AMHyatt plays very little to make an impact. Robinson I have conceded has looked good but is on a snap count.

Slayton and Campbell play the majority of the game. They aren't good. I do agree we need to throw to Walker more. But as a group - it's still one of the worst units in football.

I mean even you have to concede Campbell is useless.
That's 100% on Dab/Ka. Nothing good happened last night when Campbell was on the field.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 07:56:51 AMMost of the sacks came after the pick 6 when the game was over.  In the first half the line play was good enough to make plays downfield.

If Jones is broken then it's time to move on.  There's no use in holding onto a broken QB while you're building out the rest of the roster.
Not only that, Dab/Ka made a dumbass call for that ridiculous "tush push" on 4th down to end the opening drive. All of a sudden Kafka doesn't know how to draw up a creative play to get his guys to make a yard???  ~X(  ~X(

He's the first that needs to be a former NY Giant. The only thing he can do for me at this point is to pack his damn bags.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

The objective data relating to DJ has been remarkably consistent; below represents his 17 game averages.  In short, he's been a consistent below average passer for 5 seasons now.  Moreover, this paradigm is unlikely to change for a QB making his 60th started.  Note, when you consider his rushing stats, he's average-to- above average when properly protected.  When you consider the last 5 SBs, they were won by teams helmed by Brady x2, Mahomes x2 and Stafford.  I believe this is reflective of modern football; you need a top passing game to win championships in the modern NFL.  DJ would have to improve his yards 1500+ yards and 20+ TDs to get into their hemisphere, with is a HUGE LEAP. Does anyone believe he's capable of said leap?  Even if you are, how long before the Giants are capable of putting the OL and weapons around to make it happen? Certainly not before the remaining 2-years on his contract expires (4th year is a dead year he'll never see).  If the Giants have a top-10 pick, it's a no brainer to select a QB.  The reality is, they haven't been in position to draft a QB since they selected DJ.  I suspect they would have drafted a QB when they elected not to exercise DJ's 5th yr option; however, it was the worst QB draft class in multiple decades.  Talk about bad luck, the Giants had two top 6 picks and no QB to spend them on....

Yr/Comp/TD/INT/RTG/QBR
2019    371    3958    31    16    87.7    55.7
2020    340    3574    13    12    80.4    54
2021    359    3752    15    11    84.8    41.5
2022    337    3405    16    5    92.5    62.9
2023    383    3251    9    26    69.7    44.5

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 07:56:51 AMMost of the sacks came after the pick 6 when the game was over.  In the first half the line play was good enough to make plays downfield.

He was sacked 6 times before the pick 6. And that was in the 3rd quarter. Thats an unacceptable amount. And plus just because a QB screws up - its still not acceptable for him to be sacked 5 times in 2 drives following. 21-3 is a deficit in the third but we have see teams score 3 times in 17 minutes of football.

zephirus

The reality of the situation is that Jones is our starter for this year AND next year.  The cap implications of getting rid of him until after the 2024 season would set this team back even further.  Wherever the Giants end up drafting, they should be picking offensive linemen early and often and give Jones 2024 as his prove it year. 

JT39

Quote from: zephirus on October 03, 2023, 08:28:08 AMThe reality of the situation is that Jones is our starter for this year AND next year.  The cap implications of getting rid of him until after the 2024 season would set this team back even further.  Wherever the Giants end up drafting, they should be picking offensive linemen early and often and give Jones 2024 as his prove it year.

I wouldnt be too quick to give him the job next year especially if he plays like he did last night. If the Giants draft Caleb Williams or Drake Maye - they will start immediately.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 07:25:28 AMim not saying it should happen YET. but i think its fair to start questioning whether we are going to win with JS/BD. schoens picks are doing nothing, and dabolls players are getting destroyed on a weekly basis. they are trending in the wrong direction is what i am trying to say.

Understood.

I completely agree that it's 100% fair and appropriate to be questioning them right now.

JT39

You wanna know the sad state of our team right now? Before last night - a lot of venom was on Thibs and his play. And right now, he is one of our better players. He has 3 of our 4 sacks. And came the closest to forcing a turnover.