News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants O-line sets a new NFL record for being bad

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 07:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

The conversation about Jones is very relevant as the Line was only responsible for 4 of the 11 sacks as illustrated in the video. So the claim that the O-line sets a new NFL record for being bad is a false statement.

For a 5-year veteran to play at this level in a crucial must-win game, demonstrates his level of competency at the most important position on the team.

Telling posters they are off-topic and to stifle commentary to disprove that fallacious statement is wrong.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 04, 2023, 09:11:08 AMThe conversation about Jones is very relevant as the Line was only responsible for 4 of the 11 sacks as illustrated in the video. So the claim that the O-line sets a new NFL record for being bad is a false statement.

For a 5-year veteran to play at this level in a crucial must-win game, demonstrates his level of competency at the most important position on the team.

Telling posters they are off-topic and to stifle commentary to disprove that fallacious statement is wrong.

It's all connected.  As much as offensive line play can impact a QB's play a QB's play and recognition at the LOS can impact a line's play and how they are perceived. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 04, 2023, 09:11:08 AMThe conversation about Jones is very relevant as the Line was only responsible for 4 of the 11 sacks as illustrated in the video. So the claim that the O-line sets a new NFL record for being bad is a false statement.

Even Campbell was sacked (when was the last time a WR got a sack?).  When are we going to focus on these other areas of the team and stop excusing their poor play by blaming Daniel Jones?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 09:48:58 AMEven Campbell was sacked (when was the last time a WR got a sack?).  When are we going to focus on these other areas of the team and stop excusing their poor play by blaming Daniel Jones?

No one is excusing their play.  Pointing out missed responsibilities and misreading plays that resulted in sacks does not excuse the other sacks they give up where there was nothing the QB could do. 

Point is it's misleading to put this "record setting" poor performance of the Giants pass protection just on the 5 linemen.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 04, 2023, 09:52:56 AMNo one is excusing their play. Pointing out missed responsibilities and misreading plays that resulted in sacks does not excuse the other sacks they give up where there was nothing the QB could do.

Point is it's misleading to put this "record setting" poor performance of the Giants pass protection just on the 5 linemen.

When you make excuses by blaming Jones, it creates that appearance.   You have yet to (on this thread about bad O-line play) criticize an offensive linemen.  You have exclusively criticized Daniel Jones

Let us look at PFF (where they assign sacks to the QB, so the QB is out of the equation)

Ezeudu
64th / 71 T

Bredeson
57th / 76 G

Michael Schmitz Jr.
33rd / 36 C

McKethan
58th / 76 G

Neal
68th / 71 T

As bad as those rankings are keep in mind that every one of those linemen has worse pass-blocking grades than run-blocking grades (with the exception BB)

So let us hold this O-line accountable for their historically bad performance
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 10:06:57 AMWhen you make excuses by blaming Jones, it creates that appearance.   You have yet to (on this thread about bad O-line play) criticize an offensive linemen.  You have exclusively criticized Daniel Jones

Let us look at PFF (where they assign sacks to the QB, so the QB is out of the equation)

Ezeudu
64th / 71 T

Bredeson
57th / 76 G

Michael Schmitz Jr.
33rd / 36 C

McKethan
58th / 76 G

Neal
68th / 71 T

As bad as those rankings are keep in mind that every one of those linemen has worse pass-blocking grades than run-blocking grades (with the exception BB)

So let us hold this O-line accountable for their historically bad performance

This is the issue I have with using PFF as the bible for evaluations and using these evaluations as fact when they're rated opinions.  An offensive line's play has more to do with chemistry and their play as a unit than it is any one individual players play.  And how a player on the line looks can be helped or hurt by the guy playing next to him.  Only the coaches know what the blocking assignments are and who is supposed to do what.  It's why I won't and haven't singled out any one individual and have criticized the unit as a whole.

DragonSoul

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 07:55:16 AMIt's okay to say Jones had a bad game, even he admitted he did.   I do think we should stop making excuses for this terrible line.   This reminds me of the abuse I got here when I called out the now benched Glowinski
People actually liked Glo? I wanted him gone & benched even last year. By the way did anyone see how EN blocked waller in the back. That was unreal. Even without playing a full season, they may call 4 the bench as well. WTF was he seeing or doing?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: DragonSoul on October 04, 2023, 10:44:28 AMPeople actually liked Glo? I wanted him gone & bench even last year. By the way did anyone see how EN blocked waller in the back. That was unreal. Even without playing a full season, they may call 4 the bench as well. WTF was he seeing or doing?

I had some hopes that Glo would be a serviceable, league-average type starter for us at OG, which would have been a nice upgrade.

He wasn't.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DragonSoul on October 04, 2023, 10:44:28 AMPeople actually liked Glo? I wanted him gone & bench even last year. By the way did anyone see how EN blocked waller in the back. That was unreal. Even without playing a full season, they may call 4 the bench as well. WTF was he seeing or doing?

Yeah, it is hard to believe. I had a thread calling him out after the Dallas game.  I watched his reps in that game.  I have been watching football long enough to recognize when a veteran is just going through the motions.  I have zero tolerance for players who lack effort.  I am more sympathetic with a guy like Neal (who looks to be trying) than I have a veteran who simply isn't willing to put in the effort.  That calls for a benching and it appears the coaches agreed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

I was indifferent on him.  When the unit as a whole isn't performing well with multiple combinations of players I can't single out one guy.  And I certainly wasn't going to accuse him of not being invested in playing football because of his personal life as some individuals did and never apologized for.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 04, 2023, 10:47:22 AMI had some hopes that Glo would be a serviceable, league-average type starter for us at OG, which would have been a nice upgrade.

He wasn't.

Jeff,

My issue when he was signed was that it was a multi-year deal (three-year deal worth $20 million, $11 million of which will be guaranteed).  I appreciated the year-one cap constraints and the need for O-linemen. Still, you don't sign 30-year-old linemen with a history of mediocrity to multi-year deals (at least in my opinion).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 10:53:29 AMJeff,

My issue when he was signed was that it was a multi-year deal (three-year deal worth $20 million, $11 million of which will be guaranteed.  I appreciated the year-one cap constraints and the need for O-linemen. Still, you don't sign 30-year-old linemen with a history of mediocrity to multi-year deals (at least in my opinion).

Fair point and I do not disagree.

Glo was not one of Schoen's best decisions, to say the least. Including at the time (as you illustrate here).

DragonSoul

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 04, 2023, 10:47:22 AMI had some hopes that Glo would be a serviceable, league-average type starter for us at OG, which would have been a nice upgrade.

He wasn't.
I did as well, but it got worse, not better as the season went on. And now Neal blocking his own teammate. I also have hopes for him, and I know he is nearing the full 17 game exp. but that and his comments are making me really question him now. Then again the Oline coach should have been gone as well as the ST coach on the same boat outta here.

DragonSoul

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 10:49:32 AMYeah, it is hard to believe. I had a thread calling him out after the Dallas game.  I watched his reps in that game.  I have been watching football long enough to recognize when a veteran is just going through the motions.  I have zero tolerance for players who lack effort.  I am more sympathetic with a guy like Neal (who looks to be trying) than I have a veteran who simply isn't willing to put in the effort.  That calls for a benching and it appears the coaches agreed.
Think the coach finally did the right thing, but took him a bit longer!