News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How did Brian Daboll and his staff go from coach of the year to this?

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 08:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

What I love about Barkley is he cares.  He shows up and plays with fire. 

How many other players on this team can you say that about?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on October 03, 2023, 12:39:19 PMWhat I love about Barkley is he cares.  He shows up and plays with fire. 

Not enough
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Someone give Daniel Jones a hotfoot..BTW. Scream at somebody..throw your helmet..bark at the moon..anything but defeatist. He gives the team a terrible losing vibe, even if it is pointless I don't care!!! ~X(

AYM

Quote from: Philosophers on October 03, 2023, 12:39:19 PMWhat I love about Barkley is he cares.  He shows up and plays with fire. 

The irony is, at the rate things are going, it's almost going to loop around into making sense to bring Barkley back. Namely, we're going to need a stable cheap veteran hand at RB the next couple of years, and Barkley will - if anything - be cheap.

4 Aces

I don't like hearing this kind of stuff, but there's smoke he and other members of the coaching staff have been a bit too casual with the players. I'll leave it at that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 03, 2023, 06:23:19 PMI don't like hearing this kind of stuff, but there's smoke he and other members of the coaching staff have been a bit too casual with the players. I'll leave it at that.

Maybe we need to go back to having them do gassers when they fk up.

:surrender:

MightyGiants

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 03, 2023, 06:23:19 PMI don't like hearing this kind of stuff, but there's smoke he and other members of the coaching staff have been a bit too casual with the players. I'll leave it at that.

That is the risk every player's coach faces
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BlueMoshik

[/quote]
Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 09:57:07 AMWell John Mara thought because he had Eli's personality and was coached by the same guy Eli was in College that he would be Eli who could run.

Typical John Mara misunderstanding. Eli had a personality. DJ doesn't. He has legs.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BlueMoshik on October 04, 2023, 03:49:59 AMTypical John Mara misunderstanding. Eli had a personality. DJ doesn't. He has legs.

Is that really the case? I don't know to be honest. I am under the impression Jones has more of a personality than what we see in press conferences. If you recall, during Eli's playing days, he was kind of a dud in press conferences too. The personality he is showing now as a retiree is very different from what he was like as a 24-28 year old. Heck, even after that first SB win I wouldn't say he showed a ton of personality as a player.

BlueMoshik

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 04, 2023, 06:40:28 AMIs that really the case? I don't know to be honest. I am under the impression Jones has more of a personality than what we see in press conferences. If you recall, during Eli's playing days, he was kind of a dud in press conferences too. The personality he is showing now as a retiree is very different from what he was like as a 24-28 year old. Heck, even after that first SB win I wouldn't say he showed a ton of personality as a player.

Most NFL players, and professional athletes, are trained to say as little as possible in press conferences. But Eli, while goofy, was never robotic. He was always intelligent and with a good sense of humor, you can see it in interviews with him and the Super Bowl movies that NFL films made. Daniel Jones seems really dull-minded to me, not much to say at all. I wouldn't care so much about that if he was winning. But I think truly great players always have some sort of personality to them. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: BlueMoshik on October 04, 2023, 08:09:11 AMMost NFL players, and professional athletes, are trained to say as little as possible in press conferences. But Eli, while goofy, was never robotic. He was always intelligent and with a good sense of humor, you can see it in interviews with him and the Super Bowl movies that NFL films made. Daniel Jones seems really dull-minded to me, not much to say at all. I wouldn't care so much about that if he was winning. But I think truly great players always have some sort of personality to them. 

One bad game and suddenly Jones is the worst man on the planet.  "dull-minded"?

(He) earned an economics degree at Duke, and the undergraduate program ranked No. 1 nationally when he applied. He could've attended Harvard or Princeton (he had a scholarship offer). He was a three-time Academic All-ACC selection, which requires at least a 3.00 grade-point average for the academic year.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/24/giants-hoping-daniel-jones-intelligence-shines-when-it-matters-most/

Daniel Jones had a 37 on this Wonderlic (20 is average intelligence)

Jones may have flaws, but "dull-minded" certainly isn't one of them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 08:46:07 AMOne bad game and suddenly Jones is the worst man on the planet.  "dull-minded"?

(He) earned an economics degree at Duke, and the undergraduate program ranked No. 1 nationally when he applied. He could've attended Harvard or Princeton (he had a scholarship offer). He was a three-time Academic All-ACC selection, which requires at least a 3.00 grade-point average for the academic year.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/24/giants-hoping-daniel-jones-intelligence-shines-when-it-matters-most/

It's not one bad game.  It's one of many bad games for a QB in Year 5.

I think Jones is a bright guy book smart wise but his instincts/awareness is lacking.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

I don't personally care that much about personality in press conferences. They are not there to entertain us. I do care about emotion on the field and on the sidelines, and to be fair Jones has shown a pickup in that this season and late last season (albeit not on Monday night). I also just don't agree that Eli was Mr. Personality in public appearances as a player, and Eli is probably my favorite professional athlete of all time.

At the end of the day I'm more focused on what happens on the field in games that matter than anything else. I am caring less and less these days about who "looks ripped" in training camp or how someone "is carrying himself this year." I care about what these guys do in games that count, and so far in 2023 that data on Jones is not good.

BlueMoshik

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 04, 2023, 08:46:07 AMOne bad game and suddenly Jones is the worst man on the planet.  "dull-minded"?

Okay dull-minded was the wrong term as he is not dumb. And he is not the worst person earth (how did you conclude that??) I just meant he has a very dull personality. Again, it's not necessarily a big deal. but I find him to be very different from Eli.

BluesCruz

Calling out Jones for running a running play when he Daboll had called for a pass was not cool

first of all, these guys need to work on their communication skills or get the equipment checked

They need to keep miscommunications private too......the world did not need to know about that Faux Pas

The Giants have hit rock bottom it seems

I wonder what thoughts are rattling in John Mara's head this week

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"