News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

It is all Greek to Me

Started by Painter, October 03, 2023, 10:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

It would be wrong for anyone here to conclude that my well-known and longstanding criticism of "prediction-making" dates back to Ancient Greece when it is even more logically a reflection of my long lifetime as a Giants fan.

It has been a franchise which in the last 75 plus years, except for a mere 5 Championships and a paucity of Playoff appearances, has managed to avoid mediocrity by otherwise stinking.

Although what we have witnessed through the first 4 games this season is shocking in its dimension, it is much less so from a historic perspective as disheartening as that may be for all concerned.

Frankly, there is no amount of handwringing, bitching and moaning, or blame gaming, or anything else we might say about it that can or will change that fact going forward. Thus, in terms of both Ancient Greek and present day BBH philosophy I am both Cynic and Stoic.

Cheers?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on October 03, 2023, 10:20:59 AMIt would be wrong for anyone here to conclude that my well-known and longstanding criticism of "prediction-making" dates back to Ancient Greece when it is even more logically a reflection of my long lifetime as a Giants fan.

It has been a franchise which in the last 75 plus years, except for a mere 5 Championships and a paucity of Playoff appearances, has managed to avoid mediocrity by otherwise stinking.

Although what we have witnessed through the first 4 games this season is shocking in its dimension, it is much less so from a historic perspective as disheartening as that may be for all concerned.

Frankly, there is no amount of handwringing, bitching and moaning, or blame gaming, or anything else we might say about it that can or will change that fact going forward. Thus, in terms of both Ancient Greek and present day BBH philosophy I am both Cynic and Stoic.

Cheers?

This is a well-supported commentary.  I am not sure how much I subscribe to stoicism, but I do respect it. Still, the appeal of sports has always been an emotional one.   So I think venting at times like this is only natural and perhaps even beneficial to one's peace of mind.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

It's a rough ride for sure. 

I like Rich subscribe to the need to vent as well. As I age they are fewer and further between 

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

bamagiantfan

I once said, "this is Greek" to a friend of mine whose parents are from Greece. He said, "Greek I can do, but this, THIS,...... I got nothing."

I think that helplessness is what we all feel.
Is this team good? I still think so.
Are they playing poorly? Certainly.
The only truth is that was game 4 of 17. The Giants are 1-3, Just like the Bengals. The fans of both teams didn't expect this.

Play it out. That's all they can do.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Painter

Quote from: bamagiantfan on October 03, 2023, 07:56:27 PMI once said, "this is Greek" to a friend of mine whose parents are from Greece. He said, "Greek I can do, but this, THIS,...... I got nothing."

I think that helplessness is what we all feel.
Is this team good? I still think so.
Are they playing poorly? Certainly.
The only truth is that was game 4 of 17. The Giants are 1-3, Just like the Bengals. The fans of both teams didn't expect this.

Play it out. That's all they can do.

Got it, Mitch and your friend as well. I feel much the same as you. We can knock ourselves out analyzing and criticizing, obsessing and second-guessing, anointing and finger-pointing, bashing and trashing whomever or whatever, and it will be of no matter, of no consequence to what happens in the next 13 games.

As for my use of the word "Stoic" it would be hard to find a word dealt a greater injustice at the hands of the English language. In its rightful place, Stoicism is a tool in the pursuit of self-mastery, perseverance, and wisdom: something one uses to live a great life.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

I thought that @Painter (Larry) would appreciate this, as I believe it's similar to the point he made

A teaching from the Buddha.

There are two arrows. The first arrow that hits us (an unexpected event, situation, illness etc) causes great pain and hardship. It hurts us.

The second arrow is our own reaction to this pain and hardship. This second arrow's name is suffering.

The teaching is that pain & hardship are unavoidable for us all, however, suffering is a choice.  Our relationship to pain and hardship are what to a great extent influences our suffering.

https://wanderlust.com/journal/the-two-arrows-pain-suffering/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I've stayed quiet on second guessing what's going on and have taken the silent, "sit and stew" position as a Giants' fan

Troubling? Sure. Beyond hope? I doubt it. Who to blame? Too complicated to affix blame to a single source

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself. The Giants have sucked big time when they play night games on national television. I'm 70 years old and have watched the Giants for many years and they are not good at night in a televised feature game. Have no idea why, I've just seen it for so long that it's like a law or something...
Opening game: Sunday Night under the lights with 10s of millions watching. 40-0 blowout.
Game two: Day game, but getting our butts kicked, then an uncharacteristic comeback against the team deemed worst in the league.
Game three: Thursday Night under the lights with 10s of millions watching on 4 days rest against one of the top teams in the country in their house...predictable loss
Game four: Back on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL...YAY...under the lights with 10s of millions watching. Got our asses handed to us like we always do when we play a night featured game

I'm not superstitious or believe in omens or any of that crap, but I recognize that the Giants have NEVER EVER looked good when put in a "weekly feature game under the lights". And we have not had the chance yet to watch them play on a Sunday afternoon 1:00 game, which seems to be in their wheelhouse

I predict nothing, but I wish they'd schedule the Giants to play more day games that are not a featured show for the week
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I agree 100% and I have also said it for more years than I can remember. Even in our good years, say 85-91, we also weren't that good on night games, but we were good enough to win a few.

That said, the league loves it when the Giants and their NY Metro audience can watch a national game. They wait years for the Giants to show any life and when they do, we are on 5 national broadcasts. It is the league craving for ratings numbers that have them swooning when they can put a decent Giants team on a national game at night. Too bad the Giants don't react to that very well, with the lead by our QB who is now, what 1-14 on night games.
I'd rather suck and not be on than be embarrassed year after year.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

brownelvis54

Tu peux mettre du rouge à lèvres sur un cochon, mais ça reste un cochon
The KING is in the building

drakew

no CHEERS here, unless the negative timely one that rhyme with "who?"

:no:
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

Painter

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 04, 2023, 03:10:14 PMTu peux mettre du rouge à lèvres sur un cochon, mais ça reste un cochon

C'est vrai, Robert. Oink! Oink!

Cheers!