News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would benching Jones for a game help?

Started by LennG, October 04, 2023, 07:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I know he is the #1 guy, making big bucks to play, but his mindset is just not what you want in your 'franchise' QB. He is playing scared and not doing the job. I remember when Eli was having problems, there were many who said he needed to sit for a game or two, would that be so bad right now for Jones? Against two teams we really don't have a prayer of beating, might it not be in his best interest long term, to sit and let Taylor have at it for a game or two? What harm would it really do and might light some spark under certain players?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I am not a psychologist, but my guess is no. I would start him again in the next game, but I not hesitate to would pull him in the middle of the game this time if his level of play isn't clearly improved from what we saw on Monday. It wouldn't be a punitive thing, because I don't think Jones isn't trying, and I don't think you should "punish" someone who is trying their hardest. It would be more to let someone else (ie Taylor) have a try if Jones can't play at a satisfactory level. I feel no differently about hockey goalies, pitchers, or any other underperforming athlete at any level. If the guy on the field, ice, or court isn't getting the job done, let someone else have a go at it for a while. Why should Jones have any more of a guarantee to play than anyone else on the team who isn't performing?

Gmo11

I think if that were on the table they'd have done it at any point during the Cowboys game, or after his back breaking bone headed pick 6 on Monday.  Seems like they're going to ride until the bitter end with him.  I will say the Dolphins defense hasn't been that great this season, but it likely won't matter because that offense might put up 70 again vs this version of the Giants defense.

Philosophers

He needs to be clearly told the orders and if he does not execute them, then bench him.  If the message is "look downfield on every pass and take shots downfield" and he fails to do that, then pull him.

bamagiantfan

Lenn, Jones ran for 60+ yards and completed almost 80% of his passes. Do you think Tyrod Taylor would do better?

As bad as everything was Monday, if Jones doesn't turn the ball over the Giants might have won. It was hard to watch, but we all watched because it was still a game until the pick 6. Are you wanting to bench him for the turnovers? I understand if the answer is yes, but then you have a dilemma going forward.

Let him play but multiple turnover games will not be tolerated. This isn't 2021. If they bench him after the second turnover in the first half, I'm good with it. Benching him now just doesn't make sense to me. Its like ousting McCarthy as Speaker. Now what?
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Rambo89

We're talking about a Veteran QB in Year 5 not a rookie Eli Manning still learning to play the position.  I don't see how there is anything Jones can gain from sitting.  Lack of motivation isn't an issue with him. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 04, 2023, 08:01:32 PMWe're talking about a Veteran QB in Year 5 not a rookie Eli Manning still learning to play the position.  I don't see how there is anything Jones can gain from sitting.  Lack of motivation isn't an issue with him. 

I am in agreement with you as you can see above, but I guess the argument for it would be as a means of giving him a mental break in the hopes that a week off could help him clear his mind of the Seattle game and try to "start fresh" in week six.

Again, to be clear, I would not do it this way myself, because frankly Jones, while terrible on Monday, was not the only one who was terrible, and we can't bench everyone who played poorly. And I'm also not convinced at all that he'll play better in week six if he is benched in week five.

I do think he should be benched during the game though if he stinks it up again, as explained above. And I think it's fine if Daboll communicates that to him directly before the game, although Jones should not be surprised if this happens without warning. He knows he has to play better.

JT39

Benching him might help him to stay healthy... haha

But no - you don't bench him unless the game gets out of hand - which still might be in the third quarter of the next two games haha

LennG

But my point is, pulling him in the middle of a game might affect him more than just being told he is sitting for a game. More to get his head straight than a punishment for bad play. Pulling him would be a sort of punishment and it would show the team he isn't cutting it. Having him sit for a game, again, to me, is a way for him to gain some perspective of who the game needs to be played.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Lenny, the reason to bench him would be to give him a reset and observe the game to figure things out. I think it will help but I don't think it should be done now. He's the franchise QB and I think they should see what happens with Miami and Buffalo. The season is over because no matter who is in, they aren't beating those two teams.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on October 04, 2023, 09:19:58 PMBut my point is, pulling him in the middle of a game might affect him more than just being told he is sitting for a game. More to get his head straight than a punishment for bad play. Pulling him would be a sort of punishment and it would show the team he isn't cutting it. Having him sit for a game, again, to me, is a way for him to gain some perspective of who the game needs to be played.
Just saw we are on the same page.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quite honestly, at $40mm a year he shouldn't have this delicate of a psyche to where his coaches are tiptoeing around how to handle him and not wanting to upset him.

If he continues to play poorly, he should eventually be made to sit for a period of time. Seems as simple as that to me. I don't think anyone should worry about the implications of benching him on his mental state. His being on the field should be performance-based, just like everyone else.

Trench

Quote from: Philosophers on October 04, 2023, 07:45:42 PMHe needs to be clearly told the orders and if he does not execute them, then bench him.  If the message is "look downfield on every pass and take shots downfield" and he fails to do that, then pull him.

"Clearly told"??....he is a 5 year starting 40 million QB. Bench him for a game. Let's see if our supporting cast has talent or not

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 04, 2023, 09:24:14 PMQuite honestly, at $40mm a year he shouldn't have this delicate of a psyche to where his coaches are tiptoeing around how to handle him and not wanting to upset him.

If he continues to play poorly, he should eventually be made to sit for a period of time. Seems as simple as that to me. I don't think anyone should worry about the implications of benching him on his mental state. His being on the field should be performance-based, just like everyone else.

That's the thing he's a 5th year player on his second contract not some rookie.  I do think there's a difference between pulling him mid game in a blowout versus benching him going into a game where he won't start.  The former I have no issue with if anything to see what Taylor can do.  The later I don't think it does any good.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 05, 2023, 06:31:48 AMThat's the thing he's a 5th year player on his second contract not some rookie.  I do think there's a difference between pulling him mid game in a blowout versus benching him going into a game where he won't start.  The former I have no issue with if anything to see what Taylor can do.  The later I don't think it does any good.
Unless he's getting killed or he has a huge meltdown, it's better to let him finish the game. It's not fair to Taylor to throw him in mid game with no preparation unless an injury is involved. There won't be a true read on TT. I would rather TT prepare for a start and work with the first team going in so they all get used to each other. That includes the snap, the blocking in pass protection, the handoffs and the timing with the Receivers who all vary in speed and agility.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin