News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would benching Jones for a game help?

Started by LennG, October 04, 2023, 07:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 05, 2023, 06:31:48 AMThat's the thing he's a 5th year player on his second contract not some rookie.  I do think there's a difference between pulling him mid game in a blowout versus benching him going into a game where he won't start.  The former I have no issue with if anything to see what Taylor can do.  The later I don't think it does any good.

I don't think the latter increases our chance of winning the game, but I just feel like from a team perspective it's the right thing to do. I agree it probably doesn't change the outcome much as the game is already over.

Would you pull him in a defensive struggle where he was playing absolutely terribly but the game was undecided in the second half due to the opposing offense being just as bad?

ozzie

I'm sure Jones doesn't want to miss any game time, if nothing else he is a team guy and a tough one.
That being said, I would go to him during the week and tell him Taylor is starting, for the reason Lenn laid out, to clear his head. Also, have him watch from the sideline and maybe see things from a different perspective instead of trying to figure things out while he's running for his life. Plus it would give him a chance to rest a game and take a break from the physical beatings this O-Line is incapable of stopping.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 05, 2023, 09:01:15 AMI don't think the latter increases our chance of winning the game, but I just feel like from a team perspective it's the right thing to do. I agree it probably doesn't change the outcome much as the game is already over.

Would you pull him in a defensive struggle where he was playing absolutely terribly but the game was undecided in the second half due to the opposing offense being just as bad?

In that situation it's a tough call.  I probably wouldn't and don't think Daboll would but there is a case to be made to make that move.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

TDToomer

I think any benching would come in game and see how TT plays with the same OL, receivers and plays.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

I don't know that he's better than Tyrod Taylor. At least Taylor looks downfield and can also run. I would seriously put Taylor in just to jump start the rest of the offense. I know Taylor could at least find Waller and Hyatt.

I mean seriously look what Tyrod has done on bad teams when he's started a whole season, it's not any worse than Jones.

LennG

Ed made a great point, of pulling him mid-game as opposed to having him sit. In a mid game situation, can you really see what a Taylor could do, coming in cold? Look, I'm not suggesting we bench Jopnes and go with Taylor no matter what, Jones is the guy, but he clearly doesn't see the field the way an NFL-caliber QB should, for whatever reasons. He needs to just see things from a different perspective. Let Taylor get the 1st team reps and just see what happens. It sure can't be any worse than what we currently are doing.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 05, 2023, 01:06:09 PMI don't know that he's better than Tyrod Taylor. At least Taylor looks downfield and can also run. I would seriously put Taylor in just to jump start the rest of the offense. I know Taylor could at least find Waller and Hyatt.

I mean seriously look what Tyrod has done on bad teams when he's started a whole season, it's not any worse than Jones.

True. Tyrod has visibly better career numbers than Jones, and he has played on generally bad teams throughout his career. Jones is clearly the better runner, but as a passer the data seems to favor Tyrod somewhat.

If Jones doesn't improve his level of play I don't see why it's some insane idea to give the ball to Tyrod for a period of time.

EDjohnst1981

I really don't think Taylor gives them a better shot at winning. But for Jones' health, I don't want to see him injured, because I don't want any more excuses I.e. "we can't make a judgement because he was injured in week 5"

But I guess, if he does get injured, that's 4 years out of 5 and wouldn't make him "dependable"

Jclayton92

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 06, 2023, 08:58:19 AMI really don't think Taylor gives them a better shot at winning. But for Jones' health, I don't want to see him injured, because I don't want any more excuses I.e. "we can't make a judgement because he was injured in week 5"

But I guess, if he does get injured, that's 4 years out of 5 and wouldn't make him "dependable"

Man I just don't know how anyone can justifiably continue to make excuses for him at this point. He is what he is and if the Giants were to drag him out opening day next year I think the team and fans would be like wtf.