News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL Coaches Weigh in on Daniel Jones

Started by Rambo89, October 05, 2023, 12:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

https://theathletic.com/4928209/2023/10/05/giants-jets-daniel-jones-zach-wilson-struggles/

1. Daniel Jones' limitations stand out to coaches.

Jones would look better if the Giants' offensive line were not so weak, if running back Saquon Barkley were healthy, if the team had better wide receivers and if the Giants had faced fewer top defenses to this point.

"I wouldn't want to be playing quarterback for the Giants right now," one offensive coach said.

Still, coaches who have watched Jones this season do not see evidence the Giants have faith in their quarterback to operate more than a basic offense. They see a quarterback who limits the Giants' options more than he expands them.

"It's very noticeable how little they make him play like an NFL quarterback," a defensive coach said. "He has the easiest reads and the easiest concepts, and still he does not throw the ball accurately. He doesn't throw to the correct leverage, doesn't throw the receivers open, just doesn't do it. I'm giving you zero opinions. This is all the tape shows."

This coach cited example after example of misplaced balls even on completed passes.

A completed swing pass to a wide-open Barkley that the running back had to catch between his ankles in the closing minutes at Arizona was one such play.

The placement of a completed pass to Parris Campbell late in the second quarter against San Francisco that prevented the receiver from getting out of bounds to stop the clock was another.

When Jones connected with rookie Jalin Hyatt for a 31-yard gain in the late going against the Cardinals, it was a huge play, but the ball placement brought the defensive back into position for a near breakup.

"The guy is open — just lay it up to him," the defensive coach said of the pass to Hyatt. "He makes it a competitive jump-ball situation."

The pick-six interception Jones threw against Seattle, which precipitated Daboll's sideline tablet toss, was among the obvious missteps.

On another pick-six, this one against Dallas, Jones targeted Barkley on a third-and-19 play in the first quarter. The Cowboys had a cornerback positioned in cloud coverage to smash into Barkley the moment Barkley caught the ball. That's what happened, sending the ball high into the air, where it was intercepted and returned for a touchdown.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Yup.

We have seen prior to this season that 50 active NFL coaches, OCs, and front office guys do not rate Jones in the top 20 in the aggregate. I don't think anything that has happened this year is going to change that opinion. The book on him seems to be out to the league. The Giants will now have to figure out what their macro plan is with him. At least they didn't hand him a Kyler Murray or DeShaun Watson type contract. You have to wonder what Gettleman would have done if it were his call instead of Schoen's.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 05, 2023, 12:23:16 PMYup.

We have seen prior to this season that 50 active NFL coaches, OCs, and front office guys do not rate Jones in the top 20 in the aggregate. I don't think anything that has happened this year is going to change that opinion. The book on him seems to be out to the league. The Giants will now have to figure out what their macro plan is with him. At least they didn't hand him a Kyler Murray or DeShaun Watson type contract. You have to wonder what Gettleman would have done if it were his call instead of Schoen's.
Gotta draft someone immediately and have Jones be the backup in 2024 until you can cut him post June 1st.

Philosophers

Every QB makes a less than accurate throw at times so that commentary is less important.  The misreads of protection and coverage and unwillingness to challenge downfield are the pressing issues and concerns.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 05, 2023, 01:03:35 PMEvery QB makes a less than accurate throw at times so that commentary is less important.  The misreads of protection and coverage and unwillingness to challenge downfield are the pressing issues and concerns.
I agree completely but that was an issue even last year and it hasnt changed with Waller and Hyatt in hand then I don't think it ever will.

madbadger

Let's assume all of that is 100% true, what does it say about Daboll and Schoen?

Daboll is supposed to be a qb whisperer. How could he not see the limitations of a guy he coached for a year before the Giants gave him a $140 million extension? Did he see them and was overridden by Schoen and/or Mara? If he was how the hell can this franchise ever move forward by being so willfully blind to the inadequacies of the player manning the single most important position in all of sports?

Until someone has the spine to honestly own this issue it's never going to get fixed. If it was Mara he needs to tell his fans I made the call and these are my reasons. It's not like we can fire him but at least we understand what is going on with the franchise. If Daboll recommended the extension that needs to be known as well. If Mara passed on making the final call and left to Schoen who made the extension against Daboll's wishes then that needs to be made clear. If they can't be transparent with their beleaguered fan base then they don't deserve the unreserved financial support of the fans. I'm not saying the fans should get a say in who is extended and why but when you pay a player $140 million dollars and opposing coaches and players are laughing at his incompetence we have a right to know. The criticism is coming from everywhere and it's well informed.

4 Aces

The not throwing people open stuff is what I see, too.

NFL's QBs do that. All of them.