News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dick Butkus, Chicago Bears icon, dies at 80

Started by LennG, October 05, 2023, 07:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

spiderblue43

I saw him on the sidelines a couple of weeks ago. Geeze..larger than life sports icon. RIP.

ozzie

Heard about this on the news this evening.
Another great gone. RIP
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Rambo89

Before my time but a guy you always saw on NFL Films and heard stories of being a monster.  Crazy about those Bear teams that had him and Sayers yet were still awful.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kartanoman

He was to the Bears what Sam Huff was to the Giants.

From my era, he was an icon on Miller Lite Commercials and cameos on television shows.

But his story, no matter the team you follow, made an impact on you if you love the game of football down to its roots.

The artist who painted the battered, bleeding hands of Dick Butkus succeeded in telling more about the Hall of Famer's love of the game than any tackle where he tried to break the opponent in two.

Rest in peace, Monster of the Midway, for your legend shall burn like an inferno, in the Windy City, or wherever the gridiron code is played, until the end of time.

I have little doubt that Papa Bear, George Halas, was among the first to greet him at Heaven's gates, suited him up, and told him to get ready for he was in today's starting lineup.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

ozzie

Quote from: kartanoman on October 06, 2023, 08:52:42 AMHe was to the Bears what Sam Huff was to the Giants.

From my era, he was an icon on Miller Lite Commercials and cameos on television shows.

But his story, no matter the team you follow, made an impact on you if you love the game of football down to its roots.

The artist who painted the battered, bleeding hands of Dick Butkus succeeded in telling more about the Hall of Famer's love of the game than any tackle where he tried to break the opponent in two.

Rest in peace, Monster of the Midway, for your legend shall burn like an inferno, in the Windy City, or wherever the gridiron code is played, until the end of time.

I have little doubt that Papa Bear, George Halas, was among the first to greet him at Heaven's gates, suited him up, and told him to get ready for he was in today's starting lineup.

Peace!
Nicely and very eloquently said.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: kartanoman on October 06, 2023, 08:52:42 AMHe was to the Bears what Sam Huff was to the Giants.

Peace!

Excellent post Chris.   =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss