News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Joe Banner- Daniel Jones Is Not to Blame for this New York Giants Mess

Started by MightyGiants, October 06, 2023, 11:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Ultimately, it is really difficult to say with any certainty which formula is correct or if any of them are correct (using PFF rankings)

31st pass-blocking + 32nd receiving = 30th passing

30th passing + 31st pass-blocking = 32nd receiving

30th passing + 32nd receiving = 31st pass blocking

When you have this level of dysfunction, it's not possible to effectively point to a single cause.  All three are interconnected, and all 3 are variables.  There is no way to make a factual or logical claim saying any single element is the key to failure, certainly not when all three have such a high level of failure.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 07, 2023, 11:40:26 AMI still don't understand what an injured elite Qb has to do with the discussion. So thank you for posting this.

Think using Derek Carr as an example of a drop off is more relevant when it comes to Jones than a QB Jones will never be.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 07, 2023, 11:40:26 AMI still don't understand what an injured elite Qb has to do with the discussion. So thank you for posting this.
Doesn't fit the narrative.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Derrick Carr needed a change of venue to hopefully resurrect his career, maybe Jons needs the same. He will never be fully accepted here in NY unless he could bring a Lombardi here, and that will never happen. Remember he is following a GOD here in NY Eli Manning and as of now, Jones cannot even walk a few steps in Eli's shoes. The best thing for him is for the Giants to trade him and draft the next 'big' thing.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Trench

It's simple - if you want to "see" whether or not our oline and supporting offensive cast is capable or not the solution is simple. Pull Danny Dump It Off and play Tyrod and Devito. See if they struggle even worse since they're not as good as Jones.

But I doubt this will happen. Why?...because everyone in command decisions is afraid of what that will show. If they stink up the joint then perhaps the issue IS with our cast. BUT, if they play better - then what??

Right there is a plan to put the ENTIRE issue to bed once and for all.

LennG

Why does a thread like this not surprise me? At the beginning of the week, when the venom for Jones and many others was running rampant, the Daniel Jones supporters were nowhere to be seen, But now, a week has passed and the internet is scoured to find something that still supports their faith in him. And the beat just goes on. 
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

I honestly don't believe they lack talent. They lack development and that falls on the coaching staff.

Want to blame Schoen? Blame him for the coaching staff. Anyone could see last season that our weak links were Johnson and McGahey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DragonSoul

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 07, 2023, 09:58:08 AMCome back when Daniel Jones puts up a full regular season that Burrow has put up in each of the last two seasons then we can talk about comparing him to Burrow.  The QB's Jones should be compared to are players like Alex Smith, Geno Smith, Jimmy Garoppolo and Derek Carr.  That's the level he's on until proven otherwise.
You compared him, so thanks. You compare them with similar situations. Except JB has a top #1 wr and also a #2 & his line has been bad, but not as bad as the Giants.

Who knows, maybe when or if they fix the line and DJ isn't shellshocked by then; then if he plays as he has then I'm all onboard moving on. It's called giving the guy a fair chance and unlike many people, putting things into context.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but I am not fickle as many are and I observe & use context. If I felt DJ was a problem while the oline was at least average then I'd want him gone like I did with Brown, Graham and Kannel where I was correct on them early on as I was with KC & Eli being good for us. I think DJ can be good if given a reasonable opportunity. If not then I'd be wrong & want him gone. But with how bad both our oline & wrs are atm, that is far from doing justice with any semblance of a fair assessment.

His rookie year he can hit any throw. Last year he showed he can be accurate with the giants wrs having if not the worst separation vs defenders than one of the worst. So he can hit any shot & be accurate. Yet the line greatly regressed even from last year. Partially injuries, partially talent.

So comeback to me when our oline and wr core isn't dead last in ratings. Thanks!

DragonSoul

Quote from: LennG on October 07, 2023, 12:26:28 PMWhy does a thread like this not surprise me? At the beginning of the week, when the venom for Jones and many others was running rampant, the Daniel Jones supporters were nowhere to be seen, But now, a week has passed and the internet is scoured to find something that still supports their faith in him. And the beat just goes on. 
I have always and will always support & want the best for the team before any player. Because the team stays, the players eventually leave/retire.

Rambo89

Quote from: DragonSoul on October 07, 2023, 03:33:36 PMYou compared him, so thanks. You compare them with similar situations. Except JB has a top #1 wr and also a #2 & his line has been bad, but not as bad as the Giants.

Who knows, maybe when or if they fix the line and DJ isn't shellshocked by then; then if he plays as he has then I'm all onboard moving on. It's called giving the guy a fair chance and unlike many people, putting things into context.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but I am not fickle as many are and I observe & use context. If I felt DJ was a problem while the oline was at least average then I'd want him gone like I did with Brown, Graham and Kannel where I was correct on them early on as I was with KC & Eli being good for us. I think DJ can be good if given a reasonable opportunity. If not then I'd be wrong & want him gone. But with how bad both our oline & wrs are atm, that is far from doing justice with any semblance of a fair assessment.

His rookie year he can hit any throw. Last year he showed he can be accurate with the giants wrs having if not the worst separation vs defenders than one of the worst. So he can hit any shot & be accurate. Yet the line greatly regressed even from last year. Partially injuries, partially talent.

So comeback to me when our oline and wr core isn't dead last in ratings. Thanks!

I didn't bring up Burrow.  I don't think it's fair to compare a QB at Burrow's level to Daniel Jones.  Again I've mentioned the QB's Jones should be comparable too that if you prop them up with the team around him rather than relying on him to make those around him better he could see success the way Alex Smith did in his career. 

As for Giant QB's of the past I don't believe Jones is in the Brown, Graham and Kannel group but is similar to Kerry Collins in terms of how good he is compared to the other QB's in the league.  The problem with Jones is his inability to be instinctive and adjust to the league and how it plays him.  The league adjusted after his rookie season which wasn't as good as it was made out to be.  The overall production that year was inflated by 3-4 good games while the rest were mediocre which is typical for a rookie NFL QB.  After his rookie season he was mediocre the following 2 seasons before Daboll came in and was able to scheme around his weaknesses.

Now that Jones has gotten paid expectations are higher and we're seeing that his limitations can't be masked without the team around him propping him up.  He has weapons in the passing game but with no run game with Barkley hurt and the offensive line being bad Jones isn't talented enough to carry the load like elite QB's do consistently (with the occasional bad game). 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18