News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Michael Lombardi: A great quarterback is hard to find

Started by MightyGiants, October 06, 2023, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Mike Lombardi's I Told You So article about Daniel Jones (the title is admittedly a bit misleading but Mike chose that title).

https://www.vsin.com/nfl/michael-lombardi-a-great-quarterback-is-hard-to-find/

Here is his money line, so to speak:

QuoteDoes anyone still believe that Daniel Jones can win a Super Bowl?  The Giants front office does. Not many Giants fans would echo that belief.  It made no sense to pay Jones this past offseason.  Nothing in his play suggested he could raise his level of play. In fact, when the game got tougher against tougher competition, he faded.  Jones is a great person. He's intelligent, athletic and shows the skills needed to play the position, but he cannot play fast when the game speeds up requiring him to make the right decision quickly.

https://www.vsin.com/nfl/michael-lombardi-a-great-quarterback-is-hard-to-find/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

No one said it is easy, but you gotta keep trying until you find it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:16:21 PMNo one said it is easy, but you gotta keep trying until you find it.

Did you even read what I posted, or did you just read the headline and post a response?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

In the Giants FO/Ownership's defense they were backed into a corner with Jones coming off last season where they would have taken a major hit by letting Jones go.  I completely agree with Lombardi's assessment though I am not so sure the FO believes in him as much as we think.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 06, 2023, 12:31:02 PMDid you even read what I posted, or did you just read the headline and post a response?

I read it, and appreciate much of what was said. There some flaws in his assessment but I agree with most of it. Doesn't really change my my previous comment though. They don't have the guy and need to keep trying until they do.

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:39:48 PMI read it, and appreciate much of what was said. There some flaws in his assessment but I agree with most of it. Doesn't really change my my previous comment though. They don't have the guy and need to keep trying until they do.

It has worked wonders for the Browns.

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:41:23 PMIt has worked wonders for the Browns.

Sure, lets never draft a QB again for all eternity. It seems you have a sound idea in how to build an nfl roster and assess players

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:43:13 PMSure, lets never draft a QB again for all eternity. It seems you have a sound idea in how to build an nfl roster and assess players

No you draft a QB when the opportunity is right. You just dont pick 1 to pick 1.

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:46:49 PMNo you draft a QB when the opportunity is right. You just dont pick 1 to pick 1.

Can't determine the outcome of an opportunity unless you seize it

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:48:34 PMCan't determine the outcome of an opportunity unless you seize it

The amount of cliches on this site amuses me...lol

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:50:31 PMThe amount of cliches on this site amuses me...lol

It's a fact, do you have a magical crystal ball that I'm unaware of?

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:51:34 PMIt's a fact, do you have a magical crystal ball that I'm unaware of?

Yes, I am predicting the first time Jones is sacked Sunday, there will be immediate posts blaming him for it.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:46:49 PMNo you draft a QB when the opportunity is right. You just dont pick 1 to pick 1.

That's a great point.  You don't force drafting a QB 6th overall.  You wait a year and draft the guy that you were targeting the prior year who stayed for their Senior Year.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 06, 2023, 12:56:09 PMThat's a great point.  You don't force drafting a QB 6th overall.  You wait a year and draft the guy that you were targeting the prior year who stayed for their Senior Year.

And what if he wasnt there? You are assuming the results would have been the same. Thats not how football works. What if we stayed with Eli one more year, and he won 2-3 more games? Now we arent in the position to take him.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:58:11 PMAnd what if he wasnt there? You are assuming the results would have been the same. Thats not how football works. What if we stayed with Eli one more year, and he won 2-3 more games? Now we arent in the position to take him.

Dude I just agreed with you about not picking a QB to pick a QB that you don't force picking a QB.  Now you're arguing they should force a pick because there might not be one available the following season.  Which is it?