News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Michael Lombardi: A great quarterback is hard to find

Started by MightyGiants, October 06, 2023, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

No I am not. You literally said the Giants should pass on a guy and draft who they wanted the next year - which is a reference to Herbert because everyone and their mom knew Gettleman was in love with him.

My point is we dont that would have happened.

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:52:53 PMYes, I am predicting the first time Jones is sacked Sunday, there will be immediate posts blaming him for it.

Only if he doesn't read the defense properly would he be blamed. As you yourself in other threads acknowledged he has done.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 01:05:46 PMNo I am not. You literally said the Giants should pass on a guy and draft who they wanted the next year - which is a reference to Herbert because everyone and their mom knew Gettleman was in love with him.

My point is we dont that would have happened.

No, I pointed out the Giants shouldn't force the 6th overall pick on a QB which falls in line with your original point.  Now you're saying they should force a QB pick because you don't know what will be available the following season.

So which is it should a team force a QB pick in a draft or should they be opportunistic when it presents itself showing more patience?
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 06, 2023, 01:18:58 PMNo, I pointed out the Giants shouldn't force the 6th overall pick on a QB which falls in line with your original point.  Now you're saying they should force a QB pick because you don't know what will be available the following season.

So which is it should a team force a QB pick in a draft or should they be opportunistic when it presents itself showing more patience?

Never once said they should force a pick. I said if they do take a QB in the top 10, he should play immediately which is not even close to what you are accusing me of saying.

What I pointed out was your hypothetical situation of passing on Jones and taking Herbert the following year is fantasy land because that is not how football works.

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 01:23:09 PMNever once said they should force a pick. I said if they do take a QB in the top 10, he should play immediately which is not even close to what you are accusing me of saying.

What I pointed out was your hypothetical situation of passing on Jones and taking Herbert the following year is fantasy land because that is not how football works.

IDK how it works in fantasy land, but in the real life NFL, Herbert and to a lesser extent Tua, were both picked after the Giants selected.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 01:23:09 PMNever once said they should force a pick.

Ok, so you agree they shouldn't force a pick like they did with Jones because a QB they like better might not be there a year later.  Glad you agree with that.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 01:25:48 PMIDK how it works in fantasy land, but in the real life NFL, Herbert and to a lesser extent Tua, were both picked after the Giants selected.

But again..... You are assuming that if we passed on Jones in 2019 - we would have the same record and draft choice in 2020. Thats not how the NFL works. Like I said, maybe we would have won a few more games? Maybe had a worse record and still could have picked up. No one knows. You cant assume things that are impossible to predict. You cant sit in the war room in 2019 and say "well Herbert didnt come out, lets just wait until next year to draft him." I mean do you really think front offices think that way?

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 01:28:00 PMBut again..... You are assuming that if we passed on Jones in 2019 - we would have the same record and draft choice in 2020. Thats not how the NFL works. Like I said, maybe we would have won a few more games? Maybe had a worse record and still could have picked up. No one knows. You cant assume things that are impossible to predict. You cant sit in the war room in 2019 and say "well Herbert didnt come out, lets just wait until next year to draft him." I mean do you really think front offices think that way?

If that is the case, you don't draft Daniel Jones due to FOMO.

Jclayton92

You either have a guy or you don't, and the Giants haven't had a guy in 5+ years. Teams should draft one every year until they get it right, it's truly the most important position in the game.

JT39

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 06, 2023, 02:08:28 PMYou either have a guy or you don't, and the Giants haven't had a guy in 5+ years. Teams should draft one every year until they get it right, it's truly the most important position in the game.

Rosters spots, guarantee contracts, and draft capital makes this impossible.

Jclayton92

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 02:22:17 PMRosters spots, guarantee contracts, and draft capital makes this impossible.
No it doesn't, teams lately have been drafting Qbs yearly or bi yearly with no issue. The 49ers, Carolina, Cardinals etc. You don't have to spend premium capital but investing in a QB whether it's the 2nd or the 7th until you find one is the answer ala KC or Philly who had ok starters but still kept drafting a QBs until they got a guy.

Woody

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 01:28:00 PMBut again..... You are assuming that if we passed on Jones in 2019 - we would have the same record and draft choice in 2020. Thats not how the NFL works. Like I said, maybe we would have won a few more games? Maybe had a worse record and still could have picked up. No one knows. You cant assume things that are impossible to predict. You cant sit in the war room in 2019 and say "well Herbert didnt come out, lets just wait until next year to draft him." I mean do you really think front offices think that way?
still remember Hebert did not want to come to Giants. Period.

MightyGiants

I had previously identified a lack of intellectual consistency as the reason Mike Lombardi failed as a GM.  His last podcast showed that shortcoming quite vividly.  Immediately after using DJ's bad game as proof that Jones is a bad quarterback and the Giants were foolish to have re-signed him, he goes on to make a huge number of excuses as to why Joe Burrow was performing worse than Daniel Jones.  Apparently a lack of protection is a legit reason for a QB's bad performance when talking about Burrow, but not for Jones (who has an even worse offensive line)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nicky1000

If we didn't draft Jones would we have had Haskins?