News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Follow-up regarding DJ this year ...

Started by Bigmoose, October 07, 2023, 01:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmoose

This is not rocket science.  In his three loses this year, he has had historically porous offensive line play of any qb all time in the NFL.  The statistics regarding sacks and pressures are clear.  Two of those loses have been against top defenses in the league.  Against Seattle he was sacked 10 times in addition to being pressured constantly.  I don't need statistics to identify this. It was clear from looking at the games.  Any one who won't acknowledge this is in another experiential universe.  This is not even getting into key injuries to offensive players, inadequate play calling, and questionable scheme with the opposition catching on to what our coaches are trying to do.  Has he made some bad throws/plays, unquestionably. But to think that any qb is not effected from the above factors is unfair and beyond belief.

To think this is not a team issue, but reflects primarily on DJ is IMO fully out to lunch.  I will say this until the cows come home against all the anti Jones posse.  When the Giants are able to show an offensive line that can adequately, not even show superior blocking skills to protect him in passing plays, you cannot objectively evaluate his capacity to be a better than average, or top level qb. He shows superior skills against middle to lower level teams that allow our offensive line to protect him.  Against the best teams he suffers.  With untalented/injured offensive line players, and injuries to our best skill players, he struggles. Fans who are shocked by this are ingenious.

Those who want to discuss his long term performance either with the giants or in college, well guess what, his cast of supporting players has sucked for his whole career.  Why does he have the horrendous record in prime time games in the NFL and against top teams in college - the rest of his offense has sucked throughout his career. The xxxxxxxx view is he has failed to elevate those around him to overcome their extensive weaknesses.  Give me a break!

When you can tell me he has had an even average surrounding cast for any sustained period of time, and played poorly, then I am ready to discuss his questionable merits as an NFL qb.  Until then, I chose to abide by our GM and Coach who showed enough faith in him to sign him to the contract they did. They made a great decision to give him the chance, with an out if things don't work out.  Under the circumstances in this rebuild, that was the correct call.  What he is being paid has nothing to do with evaluating his performance when that past and present performance is dependent on his fellow players.  In case you missed it, this is a team sport.  For those who disagree, you have that right, but under the circumstances I think you are wrong.  Only time will tell.

By the way, I cam clear that for a core group of anti-Jones posse, IMO there is nothing that will change their mind.  I will continue to wish that they don't take every opportunity to detour so many discussions that have nothing to do with Daniel Jones, into their persistent opinion that he is at the center of the Giants problems until our team gives him the support that any qb needs to be successful.

beaugestus

Great post Big Moose, a very good synopsis of the circumstances.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

And those who think Danny Dump it off is the second coming of Josh Allen won't change their mind either.

One thing is for certain he is having a horrible season thus far. How many TDs does he have?

LennG

Quote from: Bigmoose on October 07, 2023, 01:23:51 AMThis is not rocket science.  In his three loses this year, he has had historically porous offensive line play of any qb all time in the NFL.  The statistics regarding sacks and pressures are clear.  Two of those loses have been against top defenses in the league.  Against Seattle he was sacked 10 times in addition to being pressured constantly.  I don't need statistics to identify this. It was clear from looking at the games.  Any one who won't acknowledge this is in another experiential universe.  This is not even getting into key injuries to offensive players, inadequate play calling, and questionable scheme with the opposition catching on to what our coaches are trying to do.  Has he made some bad throws/plays, unquestionably. But to think that any qb is not effected from the above factors is unfair and beyond belief.

To think this is not a team issue, but reflects primarily on DJ is IMO fully out to lunch.  I will say this until the cows come home against all the anti Jones posse.  When the Giants are able to show an offensive line that can adequately, not even show superior blocking skills to protect him in passing plays, you cannot objectively evaluate his capacity to be a better than average, or top level qb. He shows superior skills against middle to lower level teams that allow our offensive line to protect him.  Against the best teams he suffers.  With untalented/injured offensive line players, and injuries to our best skill players, he struggles. Fans who are shocked by this are ingenious.

Those who want to discuss his long term performance either with the giants or in college, well guess what, his cast of supporting players has sucked for his whole career.  Why does he have the horrendous record in prime time games in the NFL and against top teams in college - the rest of his offense has sucked throughout his career. The xxxxxxxx view is he has failed to elevate those around him to overcome their extensive weaknesses.  Give me a break!

When you can tell me he has had an even average surrounding cast for any sustained period of time, and played poorly, then I am ready to discuss his questionable merits as an NFL qb.  Until then, I chose to abide by our GM and Coach who showed enough faith in him to sign him to the contract they did. They made a great decision to give him the chance, with an out if things don't work out.  Under the circumstances in this rebuild, that was the correct call.  What he is being paid has nothing to do with evaluating his performance when that past and present performance is dependent on his fellow players.  In case you missed it, this is a team sport.  For those who disagree, you have that right, but under the circumstances I think you are wrong.  Only time will tell.

By the way, I cam clear that for a core group of anti-Jones posse, IMO there is nothing that will change their mind.  I will continue to wish that they don't take every opportunity to detour so many discussions that have nothing to do with Daniel Jones, into their persistent opinion that he is at the center of the Giants problems until our team gives him the support that any qb needs to be successful.

And how many QBs in the league still function at an NFL level without the 'perect' scenario? How many teams have those great OLs where the QB can stand there and survey the field and pick and choose who he might think is open? Really, your summation is based on something that I might be able to do with a good OL. In the NFL today most teams don't have the luxury of all pro's at every OL position so Jones will just have to learn that life in the NFL isn't all peaches and cream. At this point, he is basically going thru the motions of a college QB, and not giving those others on the team who are giving it their best.
Do you really think Jones is giving his best out there? Sure he has run for his life, but so do many other NFL QBs. If Jones has all this talent and it can't come out unless the circumstances are perfect, then he and the Giants are in a big pile of you know what.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

There are enough Daniel Jones critical threads on the site. Let the man have his opinion. It's not like he's putting up multiple threads trying to put out a fire.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin