News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you even tag Barkley in 2024 at this point?

Started by DaveBrown74, October 12, 2023, 02:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

Paradoxically I think the odds will actually start increasing that Barkley returns next year. We're going to need a cheap veteran RB, and with the way Barkley's season is going, whether he likes it or not, he'll be a cheap veteran RB.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on October 12, 2023, 08:45:58 PMParadoxically I think the odds will actually start increasing that Barkley returns next year. We're going to need a cheap veteran RB, and with the way Barkley's season is going, whether he likes it or not, he'll be a cheap veteran RB.

Define "cheap" though. Is $8-$9mm cheap for a RB?

Do you think he'll be less than that?

Jaime

Next season we'll need a RB that can stay on the field. That's not in Barkley's skill set.
Remember, current Management didn't Draft Barkley. Their seats are already getting toasty ;)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jaime on October 13, 2023, 12:05:41 AMNext season we'll need a RB that can stay on the field. That's not in Barkley's skill set.
Remember, current Management didn't Draft Barkley. Their seats are already getting toasty ;)

Bottom line you can get quality RBs in every draft on day two and day three. And they'll be making about $1m-$1.5mm a year give or take. Just a fact of life. The Giants should simply replenish at this position and stop with all this drama with this player.

uconnjack8

If things continue down the current path I expect he will be playing elsewhere by November. 

kingm56

Barkley is the Giants best offensive weapon, maybe their best player period, and I still hope they trade him. The Giants need to fundamentally change their core players to alter the franchise's trajectory, which includes one of NFLs worst records since Barkley's arrival. When I view our roster, there's only a handful of players I'd retain to initiate my rebuild:

Banks
Hawkins
Thomas
JMS
Dex
Thibs
Hyatt
Robinson (if he can stay healthy)

The insanity of trotting out the same offensive leaders and hoping for a different result needs to end.  For the past 5 years, this offense has struggled to score points, in an era explicitly designed to facilitate more offense/points; worse, they've been/are, excruciatingly boring to watch...enough already.  It's time for a fundamental shift.

uconnjack8

I think there are more guys I would retain like DJ Davidson and Cordale Flott to name a couple.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 13, 2023, 07:27:05 AMI think there are more guys I would retain like DJ Davidson and Cordale Flott to name a couple.

When you're the worst team in the league (which we more or less are), it's hard to have many hard and fast rules where you won't even consider a discussion or be open to any idea without at least hearing it. The Giants have been one of the most stubborn franchises in the sport for too long now, and that's probably the single biggest reason why we are where we are right now.

In any event, neither of those players are of any great consequence either way. It's not like we'd get much (or anything at all) for either.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 13, 2023, 07:30:35 AMWhen you're the worst team in the league (which we more or less are), it's hard to have many hard and fast rules where you won't even consider a discussion or be open to any idea without at least hearing it. The Giants have been one of the most stubborn franchises in the sport for too long now, and that's probably the single biggest reason why we are where we are right now.

In any event, neither of those players are of any great consequence either way. It's not like we'd get much (or anything at all) for either.

Correct and they are on cheap rookie contracts and are decent players.  No reason to get rid of decent players in their 2nd year of a 4 year contract.

You need a 53 man roster next year.   Unless you want to go the way of what Houston did last year and sign 30 or so guys to one year deals, you will need to retain more than 8 guys.

Ed Vette

I'll answer this question if they start winning or not when he comes back.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 13, 2023, 08:07:37 AMCorrect and they are on cheap rookie contracts and are decent players.  No reason to get rid of decent players in their 2nd year of a 4 year contract.

You need a 53 man roster next year.  Unless you want to go the way of what Houston did last year and sign 30 or so guys to one year deals, you will need to retain more than 8 guys.

Miami did it well. If you recall they dumped contracts and traded vets en masse a few years back, and now they're as good as they have been in decades.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 13, 2023, 08:20:55 AMMiami did it well. If you recall they dumped contracts and traded vets en masse a few years back, and now they're as good as they have been in decades.

They actual traded some foundational players as well like Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. Are you suggesting the Giants should trade Andrew Thomas?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 13, 2023, 08:41:44 AMThey actual traded some foundational players as well like Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. Are you suggesting the Giants should trade Andrew Thomas?

No, I'm not. I consider Thomas better than Tunsil, and good offensive tackles are very hard to find. I don't want to move Thomas. And I'm not suggesting we do precisely what Miami did, move by move. However they're an example of a team that did a full tear-down and has come out as a Super Bowl contender on the other side, so it's hard to criticize them.

WheresDayne

Who are the best current trade partners for Barkley?  Which teams are close to a championship and need a feature back or at least a complimentary back?

uconnjack8

Quote from: WheresDayne on October 13, 2023, 08:54:05 AMWho are the best current trade partners for Barkley?  Which teams are close to a championship and need a feature back or at least a complimentary back?

I was thinking Cleveland after the Chubb injury.  They signed Hunt, but not sure how they feel about him.