News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

For Those Caving For Calib

Started by Ed Vette, October 15, 2023, 08:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The Notre Dame Defense gave him fits last night with six sacks and three interceptions. Albeit a valiant effort, it was too much for him to overcome. Sam Hartman has now settled into his new Offensive System and played within himself, while a well Coached Fighting Irish dominated and outplayed The Trojans. 48-20

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

ND looked like the better team in pretty much every facet of the game.  In the 1st half Williams made mistakes trying to make plays under pressure and couldn't recover

DaveBrown74

I have never been that high on this USC team. Their D is terrible. They nearly lost to Colorado and Arizona in each of the last couple of games. They're not top 10 material, and that got exposed big time last night. I am an ND fan and am not surprised they won this game comfortably. With that said it's frustrating (for ND fans) that their season is over as far as the playoffs go. I think they can be competitive with just about anyone in the country.

As for Williams, I'm still a believer in his talent. He had a terrible game, but it's not like he's never played well against a good defense before. With that said, if he struggles again this season against remaining good teams they play like Oregon, it's not implausible that he could end up not going first overall. I still think he has a big edge there though.

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 15, 2023, 08:21:44 AMND looked like the better team in pretty much every facet of the game.  In the 1st half Williams made mistakes trying to make plays under pressure and couldn't recover
It's a shame they lost two games. They look like they are a formidable team on the rise.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 15, 2023, 08:36:58 AMIt's a shame they lost two games. They look like they are a formidable team on the rise.

Thankfully the playoffs will be a 12 team format starting next year, so teams in their position will still have an opportunity.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 08:36:22 AMI have never been that high on this USC team. Their D is terrible. They nearly lost to Colorado and Arizona in each of the last couple of games. They're not top 10 material, and that got exposed big time last night. I am an ND fan and am not surprised they won this game comfortably. With that said it's frustrating (for ND fans) that their season is over as far as the playoffs go. I think they can be competitive with just about anyone in the country.

As for Williams, I'm still a believer in his talent. He had a terrible game, but it's not like he's never played well against a good defense before. With that said, if he struggles again this season against remaining good teams they play like Oregon, it's not implausible that he could end up not going first overall. I still think he has a big edge there though.
We saw a high caliber NFl Defense last night in ND. They would have given most NFl teams a thrashing last night and even Mahomes would have struggled. Calib forced it early on although that one over throw was a bad pass. He will learn to read the coverages but it will take some experience. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 08:39:05 AMThankfully the playoffs will be a 12 team format starting next year, so teams in their position will still have an opportunity.

A lot of their players are going first round in 24
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 15, 2023, 08:42:55 AMA lot of their players are going first round in 24

The program is in good shape though. Kelly left it in good shape, and Freeman is known to be a star recruiter. They lose a lot of guys to the draft every year. The difference this year has been that for the first time since Brady Quinn they actually have a real QB.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 08:44:39 AMThe program is in good shape though. Kelly left it in good shape, and Freeman is known to be a star recruiter. They lose a lot of guys to the draft every year. The difference this year has been that for the first time since Brady Quinn they actually have a real QB.
Hartman came from a very different Wake Forest system. It had to be an adjustment. He has to declare next year too.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 15, 2023, 08:41:52 AMWe saw a high caliber NFl Defense last night in ND. They would have given most NFl teams a thrashing last night and even Mahomes would have struggled. Calib forced it early on although that one over throw was a bad pass. He will learn to read the coverages but it will take some experience.
So, that sounds a lot like the plight of Daniel Jones.....but everyone wants dump him and draft Williams.
Without a stout O-Line, all QB's will struggle. The answer for the Giants is not as easy as just replacing the QB.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Ed Vette

Quote from: ozzie on October 15, 2023, 09:23:31 AMSo, that sounds a lot like the plight of Daniel Jones.....but everyone wants dump him and draft Williams.
Without a stout O-Line, all QB's will struggle. The answer for the Giants is not as easy as just replacing the QB.
Yeah, we know.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

Williams struggled but even in his worst game, you saw glimpses of things other QBs can't do.

And I'll continue to say this... Lincoln Riley hurts a QBs development. His play calling last night was atrocious.

Williams and Maye are clearly tier 1. Everyone else is fighting to be the third QB off the board.

Ed Vette

Quote from: JT39 on October 15, 2023, 09:59:03 AMWilliams struggled but even in his worst game, you saw glimpses of things other QBs can't do.

And I'll continue to say this... Lincoln Riley hurts a QBs development. His play calling last night was atrocious.

Williams and Maye are clearly tier 1. Everyone else is fighting to be the third QB off the board.
Another QB would have been sacked 11 times not their fault.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

There are 6 Qbs to really keep an eye on the rest of the year which is more than I can remember having a little over half way into a season.

Williams, Maye, Sanders, Mccarthy, Ewers, and Penix

Painter

While watching the game last night, I couldn't help but wonder what Overreaction Sunday might have to say about Caleb Williams's performance. What has been posted here so far seems fair and reasonable.

In any case, it is somewhere between unlikely and unimaginable that Williams might be available for picking*, and even so that Daniel Jones-barring disability-will not be the Giants starting QB through at least all of next year even if he disappoints, and very likely through 2025 as well. It's all about guaranteed money, and active and dead cap costs which along with his performance will determine whether it's for 1 or 2 more years, or he gets an extension before then. <:-P

And when it comes to his performance, there is simply no way at present to separate it from that of his undermanned, undernourished, currently feckless Oline.

* other than as trade bait.

Cheers!