News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The value of the defensive interior players

Started by MightyGiants, October 20, 2023, 12:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I appreciate that, based on salaries, teams are really valuing DI players these days.   Yet I saw this Tweet

https://x.com/PFF/status/1715042624250278308?s=20

I thought, the Giants have really struggled defending the run this season and are at the bottom in sacks.

PFF has Dex generating:

0 sacks
5 hits
16 pressures

Then I think about the impact Parsons has on the Dallas D and Dex seems to have a much smaller impact despite having similar PFF grades:  Parsons 91  Dex 90.6
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

There are players typically interior DL whose job is simply to tie up multiple blockers which allows others to make plays.  Only a few DL like Aaron Donald, Jalen Carter, etc dominate from the interior and make plays.  They are really the diamond.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 20, 2023, 12:59:08 PMThen I think about the impact Parsons has on the Dallas D and Dex seems to have a much smaller impact despite having similar PFF grades:  Parsons 91  Dex 90.6
Take him out of the lineup and see what our defense looks like. There's the impact.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 20, 2023, 01:18:40 PMTake him out of the lineup and see what our defense looks like. There's the impact.

That is a fair point.  Our defense, with the exception of the Bills game, has looked poor.  Without Dex, it could be potentially much worse.

Although in the Bills game, I think there were two factors that helped the D. 

1)  The Bills seemed to go out of their way to try and get the ball to Diggs (a remarkable 15 targets), rather than spread the ball around

2) Bobby Okereke played like a man possessed.  In the Bills game, Dex only got a 65.9 grade, which seems odd to me
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 20, 2023, 01:22:19 PMThat is a fair point.  Our defense, with the exception of the Bills game, has looked poor.  Without Dex, it could be potentially much worse.

Although in the Bills game, I think there were two factors that helped the D. 

1)  The Bills seemed to go out of their way to try and get the ball to Diggs (a remarkable 15 targets), rather than spread the ball around

2) Bobby Okereke played like a man possessed.  In the Bills game, Dex only got a 65.9 grade, which seems odd to me
Yeah, sometimes teams get a little too cute and want to force their will.

Okereke had a great game. But, Dex does a great job of tying up blockers so the second level players can make plays.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 20, 2023, 12:59:08 PMI appreciate that, based on salaries, teams are really valuing DI players these days.  Yet I saw this Tweet

I thought, the Giants have really struggled defending the run this season and are at the bottom in sacks.

PFF has Dex generating:

0 sacks
5 hits
16 pressures

Then I think about the impact Parsons has on the Dallas D and Dex seems to have a much smaller impact despite having similar PFF grades:  Parsons 91  Dex 90.6

During the Bill's game the TV guys commented about how the run game was better for Buffalo when DeX was not in the game.

Aside from that, I think this team has a couple of issues in the run game:

1) Gap discipline.  When the DL absorbs a double team the LBs and/or secondary need to be able to make the play. Pinnock for example has over pursued on a lot of plays. 

2) Aggressive play calling by the DC sometimes leaves the team exposed to big runs.

UncannyGfan

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 20, 2023, 12:59:08 PMI appreciate that, based on salaries, teams are really valuing DI players these days.   Yet I saw this Tweet

PFF has Dex generating:

0 sacks
5 hits
16 pressures

I was fine when the giants traded down and got an extra #1 pick and I was wrong.  Parsons and Lawrence on the same team could have taken them to the Superbowl.