News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

"My head is not in this, I can not focus on anything right now"

Started by MightyGiants, October 21, 2023, 10:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Melissa Starks reported that this is what Brian Daboll said to her when she asked about the positives in the first half as they were walking off the field.   Daboll had just previously told her he didn't want to talk about the run play that ended the first half.

Here's the thing: Brian is the team's leader.  It's okay to be firey, but a leader needs to maintain a level of control.   Brian needed to be thinking of half-time adjustments as he walked into the locker room.  He didn't have the luxury of being so upset that he couldn't focus on anything.

Mike Lombardi addresses this same issue at the 22:55 mark of this video.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

What he was telling her was that he didn't have time for her and her stupid question. He had other things on his mind.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Obsession

As I stated in an earlier thread this man NEEDS a "bench coach" .  ala a Don Zimmer, for time management and probably keep himself settled.

I am hopeful the wheels are not coming off our HC cart, but bottom line he has been a lousy gameday coach this year as well as some personnel decisions.

For me the situation has become much more serious than a QB sneak from the shadow of your end zone in the last 2 minutes of the first half.

Dabs is starting to get that shell shocked look.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Ed Vette

I think it's ok to be visibly upset at the appropriate times. He was too much their buddy LY and that's hard to come back from. Much easier to be a XXXXX and then lighten up.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Obsession on October 21, 2023, 10:37:29 AMAs I stated in an earlier thread this man NEEDS a "bench coach" .  ala a Don Zimmer, for time management and probably keep himself settled.

I am hopeful the wheels are not coming off our HC cart, but bottom line he has been a lousy gameday coach this year as well as some personnel decisions.

For me the situation has become much more serious than a QB sneak from the shadow of your end zone in the last 2 minutes of the first half.

Dabs is starting to get that shell shocked look.

I think they have that

Cade Knox
OFFENSIVE ASSISTANT/GAME MANAGER
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 21, 2023, 10:29:26 AMWhat he was telling her was that he didn't have time for her and her stupid question. He had other things on his mind.

Like what he was about to scream at Tyrod for what he did at the end of the half.  I give him a pass for that given the unbelievable level of stupidity he was about to have to deal with on the part of his QB.

TDToomer

Melissa Stark did not ask a "stupid question". She's doing her job and she is one of the best at it. Daboll is lucky he didn't get fined. A Billion dollar TV deal is why they have to agree to sideline reporter interviews at half time.

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

T200

Quote from: TDToomer on October 21, 2023, 11:11:20 AMMelissa Stark did not ask a "stupid question". She's doing her job and she is one of the best at it. Daboll is lucky he didn't get fined. A Billion dollar TV deal is why they have to agree to sideline reporter interviews at half time.

Yes it's one of his responsibilities thanks to the greedy NFL.

As a coach, he has more important things to take care of. That was not the time.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 21, 2023, 10:29:26 AMWhat he was telling her was that he didn't have time for her and her stupid question. He had other things on his mind.

I agree.
The KING is in the building

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 21, 2023, 10:41:26 AMI think it's ok to be visibly upset at the appropriate times. He was too much their buddy LY and that's hard to come back from. Much easier to be a XXXXX and then lighten up.

Accepted wisdom among some teachers was to not smile until at least Halloween. 

The soft camp didn't help matters.  Did their zeal to avoid injuries actually set them up for more injuries?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 21, 2023, 02:19:34 PMAccepted wisdom among some teachers was to not smile until at least Halloween. 

The soft camp didn't help matters.  Did their zeal to avoid injuries actually set them up for more injuries?
There are theories that would subscribe to that notion.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

On the 1-yd line, 4th down, time running out. He made the call. If we score, he's a hero...if he fails, he's a bum. Nothing really to say about it. Was he supposed to give her some kind of complete scenario and break the play down for her and explain why it didn't work? Hell, we rarely smell the end zone these days. We'd like to get a TD once in a while. He took a chance, and it didn't pan out. Nothing more, nothing less. Why spend time discussing it. He was very upset and unhappy it didn't work. It was dumb to approach him seconds after that failed play, and even dumber to want him to explain the play to her...IMO
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

4 Aces

This isn't far off Evan Neal dissing the fans that make him a very rich man.

Daboll is well-compensated to handle the media in addition to coaching the football team, and the halftime interview is an obvious requirement.

I agree with Giant Obsessions comment above - he's starting to lose his grip. He can't let himself spiral - that's what happened to Joe Judge.

kartanoman

He who hath been in a comparable situation, and kept thy military bearing, let he, abobe all men, cast the first stone.

I thought, "good for him!" The coach is a rebel on national TV. It doesn't get much better than that in response to that SNAFU'd play.

Enough already with the BS crap interviews which nobody cares about since it's all a superfluous exchange of guarded vernacular of non-value added information. The sooner the network goes to commercial, the sooner I can run and take a good :poo: for myself, make a run to the fridge and make it back for the second half.

The rest of the NFL head coaches owe Daboll one for his putting his neck out to test the waters in blowing off that interview. Maybe more head coaches will give it a try going forward.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on October 21, 2023, 10:34:26 PMHe who hath been in a comparable situation, and kept thy military bearing, let he, abobe all men, cast the first stone.

I thought, "good for him!" The coach is a rebel on national TV. It doesn't get much better than that in response to that SNAFU'd play.

Enough already with the BS crap interviews which nobody cares about since it's all a superfluous exchange of guarded vernacular of non-value added information. The sooner the network goes to commercial, the sooner I can run and take a good :poo: for myself, make a run to the fridge and make it back for the second half.

The rest of the NFL head coaches owe Daboll one for his putting his neck out to test the waters in blowing off that interview. Maybe more head coaches will give it a try going forward.

Peace!

Chris,

I have seen plenty of men and women in situations with real stakes (up to life and death) keep their composures.   I don't even compare that to making a mistake in a game. 

When you are in high-stress/high-stakes situations you need to be focused on the present while also planning for the future.   There simply is no room to look back or to allow past events to vex you.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE