News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do the Giants have a QB controversy?

Started by DaveBrown74, October 22, 2023, 08:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Based on the results on the field in 2023 by each QB, it doesn't seem like an outrageous question.

Daboll was asked about this after the game. See below for his response:

https://twitter.com/RalphVacchiano/status/1716219772931567672

andrew_nyGiants

Taylor started 2 games with Saquon as his RB and averaged 11.5 points per game.

If that is the impetus for a QB controversy, this team is far more flawed than it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

In 4 games and 3/4ths of a game Jones has 884 passing yards 2 tds 6 int and a 71.7 rating.

In 2 games and a 1/4th tyrod taylor has 571 passing yards 2 tds 0 int and a 95.4 rating. Not to mention he hadn't played any meaningful snaps in 2+ years.

Doesn't seem the controversial or even a question to me. One has the offense moving up and down the field with explosive plays and the other goes 3 and out consistently throwing short of the sticks.

Not to mention it's amazing how well the defense plays when they know there is a qb in that can move the offense and they know they have a chance.

brownelvis54

So I was waiting for someone to post something like this. Short answer is NO!

The only question that should be here is:

Is Jones the future going forward for the New York Giants and in my humble opinion the answer for me is sadly no. How the hell can there be a quarterback controversy Tyrod Taylor is 34 years old we are not going forward with a 34-year-old quarterback I'm sorry, but we need to do is think hard about this upcoming draft and possibly next draft and find a quarterback. I think the best thing going forward. If we're going to go for a quarterback, this season, we should take a strong look at the Michigan quarterback have him sit.  The big conundrum what to do with Jones the meantime...?
The KING is in the building

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 22, 2023, 08:31:11 PMSo I was waiting for someone to post something like this. Short answer is NO!

Is joe the future going forward for the New York Giants and in my humble opinion the answer for me is sadly no. How the hell can there be a quarterback controversy Tyrod Taylor is 34 years old we are not going forward with a 34-year-old quarterback I'm sorry but we need to do is think hard about this upcoming draft and possibly next draft and find a quarterback. I think the best thing going forward. If we're gonna go for a quarterback, this season, we should take a strong look at the Michigan quarterback have him sit in the big conundrum what to do with in the meantime
That's what this thread was about, what to do in the meantime and no matter what sport you are in I think you go with the hot hand and right now Taylor while not hot, is at least warm by comparison to the other qbs on the roster.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 22, 2023, 08:30:48 PMIn 4 games and 3/4ths of a game Jones has 884 passing yards 2 tds 6 int and a 71.7 rating.

In 2 games and a 1/4th tyrod taylor has 571 passing yards 2 tds 0 int and a 95.4 rating. Not to mention he hadn't played any meaningful snaps in 2+ years.

Doesn't seem the controversial or even a question to me. One has the offense moving up and down the field with explosive plays and the other goes 3 and out consistently throwing short of the sticks.

Not to mention it's amazing how well the defense plays when they know there is a qb in that can move the offense and they know they have a chance.
I'm not a DJ apologist by any stretch, in fact I don't see him as the future of the franchise.

But I have to be fair; Taylor had the benefit of the opposing defense healthy respect of our potential to run primarily because he had Saquon. DJ didn't.

When you balance that with both QBs needing to negotiate a poor offensive line, I don't see anywhere near enough evidence to spark a controversy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 22, 2023, 08:34:38 PMThat's what this thread was about, what to do in the meantime and no matter what sport you are in I think you go with the hot hand and right now Taylor while not hot, is at least warm by comparison to the other qbs on the roster.

Correct. We're talking about this year specifically - not the long term.

After the way Taylor played today and with what we have seen from Jones this year, if Jones is fully cleared to play next week against the Jets and you're the one making the decision, which QB are you going with?

TDToomer

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 22, 2023, 08:31:11 PMSo I was waiting for someone to post something like this. Short answer is NO!

Is joe the future going forward for the New York Giants and in my humble opinion the answer for me is sadly no. How the hell can there be a quarterback controversy Tyrod Taylor is 34 years old we are not going forward with a 34-year-old quarterback I'm sorry but we need to do is think hard about this upcoming draft and possibly next draft and find a quarterback. I think the best thing going forward. If we're gonna go for a quarterback, this season, we should take a strong look at the Michigan quarterback have him sit in the big conundrum what to do with in the meantime

Who's Joe?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 22, 2023, 08:38:30 PMCorrect. We're talking about this year specifically - not the long term.

After the way Taylor played today and with what we have seen from Jones this year, if Jones is fully cleared to play next week against the Jets and you're the one making the decision, which QB are you going with?
I don't think it's a question, unless you're trying to lose. I think you have to go with tyrod until something happens were you need to pull him.

Ed Vette

For some fans there is.

They will never draft a top QB if they keep playing Tyrod Taylor. Just kidding.

They will never pay Daniel Jones with that contract to sit. Unless there was more at stake instead of winning 6 games vs 2.

Seriously though, they have to play Jones in order to make decisions and that's with Barkley, Thomas, and JMS. Jones deserves at least that.

I think he plays this week and hopefully he had that epiphany.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

UncannyGfan

Jones last season, with Thomas, was better than Jones and Taylor this season.  Taylor has played better than Jones this season.  When Taylor plays the offense resembles more of what they did last season which was persistence with the run, low turnovers, and letting the defense shine. 

I think compared to Jones this season, Taylor throws with less hesitation but doesn't need to throw as often because of success in the running game with Barkley back and his own keepers.  Taylor looks identical to Jones when the Giants line up in a shotgun in 3rd and long situations, which is essentially a guaranteed sack within 2 seconds.  We've seen it all year and I wish they'd do a max protect if they really must throw the ball or just run it for positive yards and set up their punter and defense.  Jones this season had more 3rd and long situations and we continued to watch him get hit over and over in them and we'd see it impact his passing decisions on earlier downs that became a nasty feedback loop.   

I think once Thomas comes back and the continued development of Hyatt that Taylor can get the Giants into a position to win each week like Jones did last year.  We saw Jones get it done in Arizona this season and how great he was in close games last year but by the time of this 2nd neck injury, I was considering a successful offensive series to be one where he didn't take a vicious hit, let alone get a first down.  My preference is that they stick with Taylor going forward until we don't think he can put them in a position to win games.

I didn't think Jones would be able to come back from his 1st neck injury with him being a running QB.  He totally proved my assumption wrong and went ahead and delivered a playoff victory so maybe he'll prove me wrong again when he comes back. 

T200

If both QBs are healthy and cann play next week, you play the one you're paying the most.

You have to think long-term sustainability, not short-term satisfaction. Jones, by way of his salary, needs to play. If the Giants continue to lose with him, then they are in a better position to draft his successor.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Messiah717

They have Jones $40 million to play QB so if he can go he's going to start.  Unfortunately, it's the same thing I said last week.  Nobody thinks Tyrod is a great QB.  If he was he would still be a starter somewhere.  That said it's painfully obvious both QBs offer the same thing, they're both on that below average side of the scale and you're not paying one 40 million.

H-Town G-Fan

Jones has to be afforded the opportunity to play with an offense that looks more capable than the last time he was out there (mainly due to Pugh's addition, Barkley's return, and WR snaps trending towards talent instead of safety). If he is healthy, he plays.

But eyes are on him--and even for a fan like me, there is a stark difference between Taylor's willingness to throw into tight coverage and Jones's complete avoidance of that in favor of checkdowns. This offense has to open up upon his return.