News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can Hyatt be that number 1 WR NYG has been lacking since OBJ?

Started by MightyGiants, October 23, 2023, 09:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

T200

In my mind, he already is. Now throw him the  :cuss:  ball!
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

H-Town G-Fan

I think he's a downfield threat, which is more than the Giants have had in long while. From what I understand, though, he's still running virtually exclusively vertical routes. I think "true" #1 WRs can do more than that (so they can threaten the defense in a variety of ways and demand defensive gameplanning attention). Given the limitation on his route tree, I would not put him in that class yet. But hey, we're just 7 games into his rookie year. Certainly has time to grow. And the stutter move he put down on his 42-yard catch to get the CB (who was playing very far off him) to bite was impressive.

EDIT: I didn't read the call of the thread properly. I think yes, he can be. He has work to do, but certainly has the tools to be one of the best the Giants have had in years.

T200

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on October 23, 2023, 09:27:50 AMI think he's a downfield threat, which is more than the Giants have had in long while. From what I understand, though, he's still running virtually exclusively vertical routes. I think "true" #1 WRs can do more than that (so they can threaten the defense in a variety of ways and demand defensive gameplanning attention). Given the limitation on his route tree, I would not put him in that class yet. But hey, we're just 7 games into his rookie year. Certainly has time to grow. And the stutter move he put down on his 42-yard catch to get the CB (who was playing very far off him) to bite was impressive.

EDIT: I didn't read the call of the thread properly. I think yes, he can be. He has work to do, but certainly has the tools to be one of the best the Giants have had in years.
I put that on Kafka. He's not designing plays specifically for Hyatt. It's clear that he has great body control, field awareness, great hands, and crisp route-running. And he's a willing blocker in the running game. Kafka has gone MIA and it hasn't been talked about enough.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

I will answer my own question:

Yes, Hyatt is a true number one WR.  To me the key to being a number one WR is the ability to routinely beat one on one coverage, and Hyatt does that.  In addition, Hyatt makes the QB look good by being very good at adjusting to throws.   

Daboll keeps mentioning Hyatt is still learning.  I am not sure what he still needs to learn, but he should be doing it via a work-study program.   Yesterday, Hyatt was in on 48 of 68 offensive snaps (71%).  That number should be higher than that.  His snap percentage should be in the mid to high 80s and he should be leading the WR room in terms of snaps (Slayton led yesterday with 57).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

NFL Gameday is $15 bucks a month and you can see the All-22 along with a lot of other perks, but even if you only take the free trail period and cancel, you should review all the games this year. It will open your eyes.

As for Hyatt, he has been running several different routes and you will see that on this App.

I have no doubt he's going to be their number one along with Waller. He's already as good as Slayton. He's fortunate he's not behind a young Nicks and Salsa as Manningham was. Although he's much smarter and is a hard worker who has an inner drive. I like his personality and hopefully he doesn't go down the road Odell went down.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 09:46:02 AMI will answer my own question:

Yes, Hyatt is a true number one WR.  To me the key to being a number one WR is the ability to routinely beat one on one coverage, and Hyatt does that.  In addition, Hyatt makes the QB look good by being very good at adjusting to throws.   

Daboll keeps mentioning Hyatt is still learning.  I am not sure what he still needs to learn, but he should be doing it via a work-study program.   Yesterday, Hyatt was in on 48 of 68 offensive snaps (71%).  That number should be higher than that.  His snap percentage should be in the mid to high 80s and he should be leading the WR room in terms of snaps (Slayton led yesterday with 57).
He adjusted to that Tyrod throw yesterday because the ball was underthrown and he had to slow down and position himself to make the catch. That's a huge asset for a QB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

he can. although he has a long way to go to be a "true #1". he is a deep threat, if he can mix in a bit of possession receiver, he can be anything he wants to be. whatever he is/becomes, i'm happy to have him.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 23, 2023, 09:51:57 AMHe adjusted to that Tyrod throw yesterday because the ball was underthrown and he had to slow down and position himself to make the catch. That's a huge asset for a QB.

It's a real gift to be able to glance back and instantly know the trajectory of the ball.  I remember when I played softball, I was an infielder most of the time.  Occasionally, they pushed me to the outfield.  For the life of me, I could never see the ball's trajectory coming off the bat (I often had my fellow outfielder tell me to move in or out). 

As Ed says, it's a huge asset when the receiver has the ability to adjust to throws.  I think Hyatt is in the top percentile in terms of that ability (which pairs very nicely with his great speed).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

I'll go the opposite route. He likely WILL be a #1-caliber WR... but a truly elite #1 receiver?

I don't I see a comparison of his likely potential to the NFL's few current TRULY elite receivers.

Just think about the few players in that category and how they are "unstoppable."

IMO Hyatt CAN be an excellent NFL WR and he CAN do everything they ask of him (and probably already is).

He was a really nice pickup in the 3rd round, but I don't see potential to be truly elite.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 23, 2023, 09:48:59 AMNFL Gameday is $15 bucks a month and you can see the All-22 along with a lot of other perks, but even if you only take the free trail period and cancel, you should review all the games this year. It will open your eyes.

As for Hyatt, he has been running several different routes and you will see that on this App.

I have no doubt he's going to be their number one along with Waller. He's already as good as Slayton. He's fortunate he's not behind a young Nicks and Salsa as Manningham was. Although he's much smarter and is a hard worker who has an inner drive. I like his personality and hopefully he doesn't go down the road Odell went down.

Another advocate for the All-22; if you have the disposable income, it's well worth the price.

Gmo11

If they throw him the ball...yes.  This guy is electric.  This is the type of guy that can flip a game that's going poorly or take control of a game that's going well.  But only if they are willing to 1) play him and 2) throw him the damn ball when they do.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 23, 2023, 11:50:37 AMIf they throw him the ball...yes.  This guy is electric.  This is the type of guy that can flip a game that's going poorly or take control of a game that's going well.  But only if they are willing to 1) play him and 2) throw him the damn ball when they do.

Gm: It's a fair point.

We won't get a true picture (other than waiting a year) unless we what happens when they throw it up for grabs. 

Maybe they won't do it until (if ever) Giants are eliminated from the playoff hunt & wins are "less important."

He ran under that long catch yesterday - a great positive sign IMO - but let's see him do a few other of the many things an excellent pro WR is expected to accomplish. 

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

RelaxTension

I hope he can develop into an unstoppable or double team him #1 WR but that would also require getting open in the routes other then the deep ones.
I have noticed both him and Robinson out there blocking unlike Slayton which is a big plus.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..