News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can Hyatt be that number 1 WR NYG has been lacking since OBJ?

Started by MightyGiants, October 23, 2023, 09:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I read through all the posts on this thread and a lot of talk of his speed, and/or actually using him more often. But no one pointed out his hands. He has GREAT hands, and if he isn't being hacked, arms restrained, and tackled at the split nanosecond the ball reaches him - he catches the damn ball with incredible consistency. Very sticky fingers, superb hand-eye coordination, and instantly perceives the whole situation such that he can usually beat his defender. Can't teach that. Combine that with tremendous speed, and you have a true no.1 on the team

He's just a kid from a small school and a rookie, yet making noise in the NFL...and a gem of a find for us
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 24, 2023, 11:48:37 AMI read through all the posts on this thread and a lot of talk of his speed, and/or actually using him more often. But no one pointed out his hands. He has GREAT hands, and if he isn't being hacked, arms restrained, and tackled at the split nanosecond the ball reaches him - he catches the damn ball with incredible consistency. Very sticky fingers, superb hand-eye coordination, and instantly perceives the whole situation such that he can usually beat his defender. Can't teach that. Combine that with tremendous speed, and you have a true no.1 on the team

He's just a kid from a small school and a rookie, yet making noise in the NFL...and a gem of a find for us
Hate to toot my own horn... but since you missed it - TOOT TOOT!!  <:-P  <:-P

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?msg=919068
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

Hyatt's role needs to grow as the season progresses in terms of number of plays, number of targets, varoety of routes, etc.  We drafted him to terrorize defenses.  We need to develop him and see what we have.

T200

The focal point of the passing game needs to be Hyatt, Waller, and Robinson... in that order.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Gmo11

Quote from: T200 on October 24, 2023, 12:10:03 PMThe focal point of the passing game needs to be Hyatt, Waller, and Robinson... in that order.

Somebody send that to Daboll.  This is correct but they seem allergic to it.

nicky1000

Related question—If Hyatt goes on an Odell like run can he take OROY honors away from Puka?

nicky1000

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 24, 2023, 12:11:38 PMSomebody send that to Daboll.  This is correct but they seem allergic to it.

Daboll sticking with vets in the passing game (excluding Waller) was like the Mets trotting out Vogelbach. Common sense and logic showed better options but the young guys were left to rot on the bench.

TDToomer

Quote from: nicky1000 on October 24, 2023, 05:35:59 PMRelated question—If Hyatt goes on an Odell like run can he take OROY honors away from Puka?

Is this a serious question?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: nicky1000 on October 24, 2023, 05:35:59 PMRelated question—If Hyatt goes on an Odell like run can he take OROY honors away from Puka?

Puka is such a great story and only a 5th round pick.  I guess out of necessity, the Rams got really good at day 3 draft picks and developing those picks.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

No chance. Hyatt is very promising but doesn't see the volume, and there is a huge gap already between the two players as we head into the halfway mark of the season. I mean the only two receivers in the league who have more receiving yards than Puka are Hill and AJ Brown. Hyatt is only third on his own team in receiving yards, and as we know we're not exactly a strong offensive team.

Hyatt is likely to have a better second half of 2023 than the first half, but I can't see him catching Puka. Plus Puka isn't the only rookie who is impressing. You've also got people like Stroud, Zay Flowers, Addison, Bijan etc. I can't see Hyatt stealing it from all of the above.

4 Aces

He's such an elite deep threat, he doesn't even need to be a masterful route runner. You run 4 routes: the go, the 15 yard dig, the 15 yard curl and a crossing route.

A good comparison is Desean Jackson. Teams were so scared of his speed, he feasted on those 15 yard digs and curls.

Once Hyatt gets that down, he will have CBs in big trouble. 

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 24, 2023, 11:48:37 AMI read through all the posts on this thread and a lot of talk of his speed, and/or actually using him more often. But no one pointed out his hands. He has GREAT hands, and if he isn't being hacked, arms restrained, and tackled at the split nanosecond the ball reaches him - he catches the damn ball with incredible consistency. Very sticky fingers, superb hand-eye coordination, and instantly perceives the whole situation such that he can usually beat his defender. Can't teach that. Combine that with tremendous speed, and you have a true no.1 on the team

I'm with you.  As you wrote, sticky fingers and a hands catcher, not a Mario Manningham body catcher.

Also he goes up for the ball.  His physicality and lack of fear are very good.

I think he can be a #1 WR if he continues to develop.

4 Aces

BTW - to answer the question:

I think if you want an amped up, legitimately dangerous WR group - Hyatt is your ideal #2.

Think about having a physical, do everything #1 WR commanding attention, and Hyatt on the other side. Robinson in the slot. Waller at TE. Slayton the #4 who gets plenty of burn because WRs always get injured.

That's a great group that is extremely difficult to defend!