News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thibs

Started by B1GBLUE, October 23, 2023, 10:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

hows everyone feeling about thibodeaux? i think he still has a ways to go. however..those sack numbers are starting to look good.

he currently has 5.5 sacks, which is ties for 6th best in the league and as many or more than

-hassan reddick
-chris jones
-chase young
-micah parsons
-rashan gary
-aidan hutchinson
-brad chubb
-matt judon
-brian burns
-aaron donald
-both of the bosa's
-demarcus lawrence
-yannick ngakwe

just to name a handful.

He still doesnt really have that breakout game, and a bunch of his sacks were cleanup sacks, but at the end of the day, he is starting to come on. nice to see after his rough start.

spiderblue43

Point taken. How about catching the ball-twice this year dropping pick sixes. :ok:

Need him to get after it with Dex insanely dominant right now.  :boldblue:

Bob In PA

B1-Blue: IMO some guys on your list present an unfair comparison; not all of them are every-down players.

IMO, among those who are, the jury is still out regarding whether he has a chance to be truly "elite."

Last year he was held a lot and it wasn't called. I expected more this year but it still hasn't happened.

But the season is far from over, so let's how how the rest of it plays out. I'm still hopeful in general.

And that applies to not only his pass rush, but also to run-stopping and ability to hold the edge.

Bob

PS. He's probably not a strong candidate to play on the "hands team."  LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

B1GBLUE

Quote from: spiderblue43 on October 23, 2023, 10:40:23 AMPoint taken. How about catching the ball-twice this year dropping pick sixes. :ok:

Need him to get after it with Dex insanely dominant right now.  :boldblue:

yeah- im not sure ive ever seen a bigger gift. that was RIGHT to him with a clear path to the endzone. gotta make that play.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 23, 2023, 10:59:04 AMB1-Blue: IMO some guys on your list present an unfair comparison; not all of them are every-down players.

IMO, among those who are, the jury is still out regarding whether he has a chance to be truly "elite."

Last year he was held a lot and it wasn't called. I expected more this year but it still hasn't happened.

But the season is far from over, so let's how how the rest of it plays out. I'm still hopeful in general.

And that applies to not only his pass rush, but also to run-stopping and ability to hold the edge.

Bob

PS. He's probably not a strong candidate to play on the "hands team."  LOL

agreed not all are every down guys, but everyone on that list is a "dominant" pass rusher who has had lots of success in the league, most of whom have led the league in sacks at one point or another. obviously we still have a lot of playing to go. i'd rather see him become a more well rounded player, but im also not gonna argue if he finishes the season with 13 sacks. it would definitely be the quietest 13 sacks ever recorded lol.

4 Aces

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm extremely disappointed in him.

I'm an old school Giants fan. I'm always interested in the D more than the O. And I was counting on Thibs being our next cornerstone player.

After a very promising rookie year where he played with fire, hustled to the ball and was surprisingly vocal with his teammates he's been the exact opposite this year. Sacks are just sacks. Sometimes a guy is kicking ass and doesn't have many, and sometimes a guy has a bunch while being otherwise invisible. His demeanor on the sidelines is night and day. Last year, he's up and down the sidelines and fully into the game. Guys loved him. This year? He just sits on the bench looking depressed.

LPG posted a video I'm sure everyone saw. Yesterday I saw it again - nice sideline catch by Waller in front of the Giants sideline. Everyone's excited but you can see Thibs on the bench. Doesn't even react. Looks catatonic. Let's not forget, Wink had to call this guy out in front of the team for the same kind of stuff. For whatever reason, he's a million miles away this year, and not taking the Alpha spot on D as they expected. Maybe he's content to just be a guy.

MightyGiants

Would we be having a different conversation this morning if that drop of a very easy INT cost the Giants the game?  Good/great players make plays, especially in crunch time (that pick 6 would have iced a game that seemed to be slipping from the Giants grasp).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jgrangers2

It's crazy to think that he's 6th in the league in sacks but doesn't feel like he's THAT much of a threat most of the time

4 Aces

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 11:17:07 AMWould we be having a different conversation this morning if that drop of a very easy INT cost the Giants the game?  Good/great players make plays, especially in crunch time (that pick 6 would have iced a game that seemed to be slipping from the Giants grasp).

It's the kind of play he desperately needed too. Game-clinching INT/TD at home. The place would've gone wild and he would've made some fans. Frustrating miss for him, personally.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 23, 2023, 11:16:38 AMMaybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm extremely disappointed in him.

I'm an old school Giants fan. I'm always interested in the D more than the O. And I was counting on Thibs being our next cornerstone player.

After a very promising rookie year where he played with fire, hustled to the ball and was surprisingly vocal with his teammates he's been the exact opposite this year. Sacks are just sacks. Sometimes a guy is kicking ass and doesn't have many, and sometimes a guy has a bunch while being otherwise invisible. His demeanor on the sidelines is night and day. Last year, he's up and down the sidelines and fully into the game. Guys loved him. This year? He just sits on the bench looking depressed.

LPG posted a video I'm sure everyone saw. Yesterday I saw it again - nice sideline catch by Waller in front of the Giants sideline. Everyone's excited but you can see Thibs on the bench. Doesn't even react. Looks catatonic. Let's not forget, Wink had to call this guy out in front of the team for the same kind of stuff. For whatever reason, he's a million miles away this year, and not taking the Alpha spot on D as they expected. Maybe he's content to just be a guy.

i noticed that play with waller too. totally zoned out. i think he's in a transitional period where hes realizing, oh $hit... I have to earn this. its not just going to be given to me. listen if thats what it takes for him to become a true competitor, so be it. He needs to get over himself, (hes still very young and immature, and probably never had to deal with being called out the way he was), and stop feeling sorry for himself. Go make plays, win some games, and we will love you. He will be fine.

uconnjack8

Quote from: jgrangers2 on October 23, 2023, 11:17:48 AMIt's crazy to think that he's 6th in the league in sacks but doesn't feel like he's THAT much of a threat most of the time

Yup, I think having 4 of those 5.5 sacks in games where the Giants were not competitive adds to that.  As well not making plays other than those sacks.

MightyGiants

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 23, 2023, 11:16:38 AMMaybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm extremely disappointed in him.

Any chance you could share the like to the video?  I couldn't find the video
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

Quote from: jgrangers2 on October 23, 2023, 11:17:48 AMIt's crazy to think that he's 6th in the league in sacks but doesn't feel like he's THAT much of a threat most of the time

the quietest sacks i've ever seen lol. but its good to see him at least getting home.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 11:17:07 AMWould we be having a different conversation this morning if that drop of a very easy INT cost the Giants the game?  Good/great players make plays, especially in crunch time (that pick 6 would have iced a game that seemed to be slipping from the Giants grasp).

Tough to say. i dont think so. i think barkley fumbling in the red zone was worse. i dont like the "one play decides the game" thing. especially with tyrods botched audible last week when people kept trying to defend him to make jones look bad. OHHhHhhH it was only one play. ok.. so then same applies here. it was one play. a huge one. but we still won. i would not have blamed a loss on that one play.

4 Aces

Thibs demeanor reminds me of someone in a bad relationship, that's out doing something that should be really fun but they can't enjoy it because they hate the person so much. So they just sit there stewing.

I don't know who or what Thibs hates or maybe I'm way off base, but that's what I see.

Here's the link I was referencing from LPG:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1703538777115996536