News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Is Justin Herbert good?

Started by PSUBeirut, October 23, 2023, 02:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 23, 2023, 06:22:41 PMWhat stat are you looking at? In 2021 they were third worst in the league in points allowed per game.

To be frank, I'm not sure.  I went back to look again and share, but the numbers are more like you described and not what I was looking at. :-??
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 07:10:29 PMTo be frank, I'm not sure.  I went back to look again and share, but the numbers are more like you described and not what I was looking at. :-??

Fair enough; understood.

I will say that the Chargers D has some really good players, but, due at least in part (and probably mostly) to inept coaching, they have simply not been a good unit at all in recent years.

beaugestus

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 23, 2023, 02:45:34 PMSaw a stat today that said Herbert has more losses since he entered the league than any other active QB.  Have also noticed that he's been injured a bit as well.  I've not followed the Chargers much so I don't know about their OL other than I know they got a good one in Slater a few years back.  I do know they have some elite weapons in Ekeler and Keenan Allen.

Anyway, for the past few years I've felt he's been overrated- that I hadn't really seen a ton from him even though he's obviously got the arm strength to spare.  He certainly doesn't seem to be winning like he was expected to.  I know quite a few folks on this board really like him and wished we had waited a year to draft our QB in order to get him so I thought it would be interesting to check in with folks and see what they thought of the guy.  I watched a bit of the LA-KC game this past weekend and honestly Herbert left a lot of plays on the field, IMO.

So- thoughts?

It's a team game and bad OL will make many QBs look ordinary.

Ed Vette

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 23, 2023, 02:45:34 PMSaw a stat today that said Herbert has more losses since he entered the league than any other active QB.  Have also noticed that he's been injured a bit as well.  I've not followed the Chargers much so I don't know about their OL other than I know they got a good one in Slater a few years back.  I do know they have some elite weapons in Ekeler and Keenan Allen.

Anyway, for the past few years I've felt he's been overrated- that I hadn't really seen a ton from him even though he's obviously got the arm strength to spare.  He certainly doesn't seem to be winning like he was expected to.  I know quite a few folks on this board really like him and wished we had waited a year to draft our QB in order to get him so I thought it would be interesting to check in with folks and see what they thought of the guy.  I watched a bit of the LA-KC game this past weekend and honestly Herbert left a lot of plays on the field, IMO.

So- thoughts?
His career record is 27-28. I must be missing something here.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

I watched a couple of the Chargers games. He definitely has undeniable talent. But I've seen him miss quite a few easy throws. Those misses were on him and cost his team at critical moments in the game. It's very concerning. He's the type of QB that could get you to the hump but not over it. He's a better version of Romo/Prescott. They play well enough to get you a spot in the playoffs but when you really need them, they come up short.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

expatriot

Agreed.  Tons of talent but misses way too many easy throws too.  Inconsistent.  Makes the right read but misses the throw...I don't believe he is very good in the 4th quarter either.

DaveBrown74

Herbert has some development points for sure. I think we need to remember that he's still only 25, and he has already put up outstanding production. He is still not even in the early years of his prime at this point. While he is receiving some criticism, he is still 6th in YPA, 6th in QBR, and 9th in passer rating. That doesn't exactly suck.

I do think he needs to improve his performance in the two minute drill, as he has had some gaffes there, but it's hard to pin the Chargers' overall struggles on him.

BluesCruz

As long as Mara thinks of Jones as the perfect son-in-law prototype- Jones isnt going anywhere

Its obvious Mara had a thumb heavily on the scale of Jones contract talks- "We did everything to screw this guy up".  Give me a brake. What ever NFL owner ever said such a thing

Both Saquon and Jones have gotten a bagfull of hall passes...

We have to get TT to teach Jones how to throw a lemondrop pass, although I think its an art form not a skill easily acquired- similar to the 3 point shot in BB
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 24, 2023, 08:22:57 AMI watched a couple of the Chargers games. He definitely has undeniable talent. But I've seen him miss quite a few easy throws. Those misses were on him and cost his team at critical moments in the game. It's very concerning. He's the type of QB that could get you to the hump but not over it. He's a better version of Romo/Prescott. They play well enough to get you a spot in the playoffs but when you really need them, they come up short.

I am beginning to wonder if he ends up being another Cousins
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 07:10:29 PMTo be frank, I'm not sure.  I went back to look again and share, but the numbers are more like you described and not what I was looking at. :-??
Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 07:10:29 PMTo be frank, I'm not sure.

Rich: Could be your first "senior moment."  LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 24, 2023, 10:05:37 AMI am beginning to wonder if he ends up being another Cousins
That's a very appropriate comparison as well.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Gmo11

The Giants should and would trade practically anything to get their hands on a QB as good as Herbert.  Throwing left handed he'd be the best QB they've had since Eli.  So to answer the question...Yes.  He's good.

ralphpal1

He has amazing weapons but they get hurt and are getting old
The coach is very bad
But i think he puts up stats but the chargers always are the chargers

katkavage

Quote from: ralphpal1 on October 24, 2023, 05:40:24 PMHe has amazing weapons but they get hurt and are getting old
The coach is very bad
But i think he puts up stats but the chargers always are the chargers
They also have no real home as a team. The franchise is lost in the wilderness, top to bottom. Herbert hasn't elevated above the quagmire.

DaveBrown74

Here's a simple exercise to try on Herbert:

You're the Giants GM. You have an opportunity to participate in a lottery where you can poach a QB from another team for the long term. You have to submit your list of QBs in order of preference. How many guys would you put ahead of Herbert on that list? Who would they be?