News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - UMich football and the cheating allegations

Started by DaveBrown74, October 23, 2023, 09:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Thoughts on the sign-stealing stuff with Michigan? This story not only isn't going away, but it seems to be getting worse. The more you read about this the more it looks like a very deliberate, elaborate, multi-layered cheating scheme. Harbaugh has already been suspended once for something else, but this seems much worse to me.

Of course he is publicly denying everything for now, but I'm not sure how long he'll be able to do that. This Stalions guy looks busted dead to rights here, and the lone gunmen theory isn't going to hold water as he was making $55k a year and yet spending thousands on tickets that were all in the same location at these stadiums. This was clearly a multi-person operation.

Harbaugh and the school need to be held to account here. This isn't slap on the wrist stuff this time.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38727023/u-m-staffer-bought-tickets-11-schools

madbadger

I think Harbaugh will be on an NFL sideline next year and it will be by his own choice. I get the sense he's growing weary of NCAA rules and I'm sure the NCAA is growing tired of him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on October 23, 2023, 09:40:14 PMI think Harbaugh will be on an NFL sideline next year and it will be by his own choice. I get the sense he's growing weary of NCAA rules and I'm sure the NCAA is growing tired of him.

I agree that he's going to jump ship after the season. I think the NCAA may try to get Michigan on the hook before the end of the season.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 23, 2023, 09:43:08 PMI agree that he's going to jump ship after the season. I think the NCAA may try to get Michigan on the hook before the end of the season.

The NCAA should follow the NFL and put a speaker in the quarterback's helmet. Problem solved. I don't think it's as big a deal as the media is making it out to be, but it's clear Jim isn't shy about pushing the regs to their breaking point and the NCAA has problems with guys like that.

Philosophers

I am just so tired of the inconsistency and hypocrisy of the NCAA. 

nb587

I can't stand the NCAA.  Theres an old joke about them.  They were so angry at Univ of Kentucky that they suspended Louisville.  It would surprise me if they really went after Michigan

Philosophers

Quote from: nb587 on October 24, 2023, 03:38:26 AMI can't stand the NCAA.  Theres an old joke about them.  They were so angry at Univ of Kentucky that they suspended Louisville.  It would surprise me if they really went after Michigan

Exactly.

Ryan Day complains about Clemson's sign stealing. No NCAA investigation.

Urban Meyer has a donestic abuser on his staff at Ohio State, in addition to the strings he pulled for players in Florida to keep them from being in trouble with the law. No NCAA investigation.

Auburn pays Cam Newton to play for them. Cam's dad says "Hey, I took the money." Cam claims ignorance. No further NCAA investigation.

Tennessee's "bagman" rumors are voiced loudly. No NCAA investigation.

Not long after the Nassar incident, Dantonio and Izzo have a SPECIAL on ESPN run about the shenanigans at MSU regarding players and their behavior. No NCAA investigation.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on October 24, 2023, 12:07:20 PMExactly.

Ryan Day complains about Clemson's sign stealing. No NCAA investigation.

Urban Meyer has a donestic abuser on his staff at Ohio State, in addition to the strings he pulled for players in Florida to keep them from being in trouble with the law. No NCAA investigation.

Auburn pays Cam Newton to play for them. Cam's dad says "Hey, I took the money." Cam claims ignorance. No further NCAA investigation.

Tennessee's "bagman" rumors are voiced loudly. No NCAA investigation.

Not long after the Nassar incident, Dantonio and Izzo have a SPECIAL on ESPN run about the shenanigans at MSU regarding players and their behavior. No NCAA investigation.

You realize that all those teams you mentioned have ended up on NCAA probation? Hell, even lowly Wisconsin ended up on NCAA probation because a local shoe store extended credit to football players. They don't play favorites. Every major program over the past 30 years have ended up on probation at some point. USC, OU, Texas, LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami, UGA, OSU, etc. The only school I think has escaped their wrath is Notre Dame.

I don't think sign stealing is a big issue but when you look at Harbaugh's willingness to test the boundaries (football recruiting road camps, sleep overs at a recruits house, violating Covid recruiting rules) it's unlikely the NCAA is going to cut Michigan slack. IMHO the penalty won't fit the crime but it's the NCAA's way of telling Harbaugh it's time to head back to the NFL without mandating it. 

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on October 24, 2023, 12:22:21 PMYou realize that all those teams you mentioned have ended up on NCAA probation? Hell, even lowly Wisconsin ended up on NCAA probation because a local shoe store extended credit to football players. They don't play favorites. Every major program over the past 30 years have ended up on probation at some point. USC, OU, Texas, LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami, UGA, OSU, etc. The only school I think has escaped their wrath is Notre Dame.

I don't think sign stealing is a big issue but when you look at Harbaugh's willingness to test the boundaries (football recruiting road camps, sleep overs at a recruits house, violating Covid recruiting rules) it's unlikely the NCAA is going to cut Michigan slack. IMHO the penalty won't fit the crime but it's the NCAA's way of telling Harbaugh it's time to head back to the NFL without mandating it. 

The NCAA went soft on those teams I listed.  You know it.  How many years of bowl eligibility and scholarships lost did Clemson receive?

I dont see why most of the things Harbaugh did would be violations anyway.  If most 5 star recruits are located in the South, why can't a Northern school set up a satellite camp in GA?  He came up with idea and nobody else thought of it.

NCAA went after Harbaugh for paying for a hamburger for a recruit.  Give me a F!cking break.

NCAA has a h!ard on for him when Jimbo Fisher, Tennessee and other programs are paying recruits just to visit, promising NIL money before a recruit is a player, etc.

Michigan has been one of the 2-3 most successful programs in the country the past few years yet maybe they get lucky and sign 1 five star recruit in a class when less successful programs sign 4-5 year in/out.  What do you think is going on there?

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on October 24, 2023, 12:51:07 PMThe NCAA went soft on those teams I listed.  You know it.  How many years of bowl eligibility and scholarships lost did Clemson receive?

I dont see why most of the things Harbaugh did would be violations anyway.  If most 5 star recruits are located in the South, why can't a Northern school set up a satellite camp in GA?  He came up with idea and nobody else thought of it.

NCAA went after Harbaugh for paying for a hamburger for a recruit.  Give me a F!cking break.

NCAA has a h!ard on for him when Jimbo Fisher, Tennessee and other programs are paying recruits just to visit, promising NIL money before a recruit is a player, etc.

Michigan has been one of the 2-3 most successful programs in the country the past few years yet maybe they get lucky and sign 1 five star recruit in a class when less successful programs sign 4-5 year in/out.  What do you think is going on there?

Soft? Most of those teams lost scholarships, were forced to vacate wins and weren't bowl eligible for a couple years. Nothing has even happened to Michigan yet. Might want to see what the punishment is before pitching a fit. The fact is they violated the rules. If you can't do the time then don't commit the crime.

PSUBeirut

As a Penn State fan and alum, don't get me started on the ridiculous hypocrisy of NCAA enforcement.  They are as much a media organization as they are any kind of consistent rules regulation. 

MightyGiants

From what I read, I think this is a case where the allegations are legit and serious and worthy of punishment.  I also agree with those who suggest that Harbaugh will pull a Pete Carrol and rejoin the NFL one step ahead of the law (so to speak).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on October 24, 2023, 01:07:57 PMSoft? Most of those teams lost scholarships, were forced to vacate wins and weren't bowl eligible for a couple years. Nothing has even happened to Michigan yet. Might want to see what the punishment is before pitching a fit. The fact is they violated the rules. If you can't do the time then don't commit the crime.

What are you talking about?

NCAA did not penalize Clemson following Day's accusation.  Show me proof as I don't remember it and have not seen it.

NCAA did not penalize OSU when Meyer had a domestic abuser on his staff. OSU suspended Meyer for a few games.  Show me proof NCAA penalized OSU.

Auburn pays Cam Newton.  NCAA found no evidence linking Auburn payments to Newton, however, Newton's father admits getting paid.  Show me proof NCAA penalized Auburn.

University of Tennessee bagman (and implicitly SEC) - Show me proof NCAA penalized U-T last 10 years.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 24, 2023, 03:44:22 PMFrom what I read, I think this is a case where the allegations are legit and serious and worthy of punishment.  I also agree with those who suggest that Harbaugh will pull a Pete Carrol and rejoin the NFL one step ahead of the law (so to speak).

Rich - at this point nobody knows if JH knew what/how Stalions was exactly doing so NCAA needs to prove it.  I am simply tired of how inconsistent the NCAA is at enforcing penalties across all universities.  If JH knew and they can prove it, I have no problem if the NCAA instituted a penalty.  I just wish they'd do it consistently.  Southern schools get away with murder and the NCAA takes a blind eye to it.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Philosophers on October 24, 2023, 04:02:44 PMWhat are you talking about?

NCAA did not penalize Clemson following Day's accusation.  Show me proof as I don't remember it and have not seen it.

NCAA did not penalize OSU when Meyer had a domestic abuser on his staff. OSU suspended Meyer for a few games.  Show me proof NCAA penalized OSU.

Auburn pays Cam Newton.  NCAA found no evidence linking Auburn payments to Newton, however, Newton's father admits getting paid.  Show me proof NCAA penalized Auburn.

University of Tennessee bagman (and implicitly SEC) - Show me proof NCAA penalized U-T last 10 years.

And let's not forget UNC completely avoiding any kind of penalties.