News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rank in order of importance returning

Started by Ed Vette, October 24, 2023, 09:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

WheresDayne

Thomas - elite
JMS  -  Difference maker
Jackson  -  Can be a difference maker
Jones  -  TT has been doing well, no rush
Neal  -  Has been bad but definitely needs playing time so we can see what we really have

T200

Quite honestly, the offense seems to be performing well without all of them. The line looks like they have some chemistry. While one or two players from that least may be clear upgrades individually, the overall unit may not perform as well.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Uni

Thomas - huge upgrade
JMS  -  upgrade
Jackson  - downgrade
Neal  -  downgrade
Jones  -  downgrade

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 24, 2023, 09:37:45 AMJones, Thomas, JMS, Neal, Jackson.

1. Thomas (not close)
2. Jackson
3. JMS
4. Jones
5. Neal

babywhales

Thomas - must develop high end talent
JMS - must develop high end talent 
JAckson - would help but he is gone at year end
Jones - final audition for his job, the decision on him will be made at the draft
Neal - rough road ahead to see end of rookie deal, even with 3 years left on it.  Giants need to learn when to cut ties with bad picks.  
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Ed Vette

Thomas- an immediate upgrade in protection
JMS- his return upgrades one Guard position
Jackson- he's an upgrade over Hawkins and provides depth in case of injury
Jones- his return adds quality depth regardless if he starts or not. This exercise speaks for his worth and his contract.
Neal- a no confidence vote. He needs to show he's worthy of his high draft pick. A practice squad player replaced him and Phillips was not a downgrade.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Gmo11

Quote from: T200 on October 24, 2023, 10:35:27 AMWhen Thomas returns, where does Pugh go?

I assume you mean left or right guard?  And I would say if Neal is going to be back at RT they would be better off putting Pugh next to him to hopefully stabilize that side.  Maybe help eliminate Neal from having to do any thinking, not exactly his strong suit, because Pugh can call out everything to him.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 24, 2023, 10:44:52 AMI assume you mean left or right guard?  And I would say if Neal is going to be back at RT they would be better off putting Pugh next to him to hopefully stabilize that side.  Maybe help eliminate Neal from having to do any thinking, not exactly his strong suit, because Pugh can call out everything to him.
Excellent point.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

aBladeOfBlue

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 24, 2023, 09:37:45 AMJones, Thomas, JMS, Neal, Jackson.

Thomas : Absolute priority. Whoever is taking the snaps under center, we need our monster left tackle to protect the blindside. And besides this, he is also very good at run blocking.

Jones : You can hate the guy but seriously, you seriously want Tommy under center if Tyrod injures himself ?

Schmitz-Jackson : Same, we are thin at Oline and CB.

Neal : Sorry bro, haven't proved yourself yet. I haven't given hope.

Sem

Quote from: T200 on October 24, 2023, 10:35:27 AMWhen Thomas returns, where does Pugh go?

When Thomas and JMS return where does Pugh go? They'll have Pugh, Bredeson, and Glowinski for the two Guard positions. I'm not sure it's automatic that Glow returns to the bench.

But will JMS return this year?

Uni

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 24, 2023, 10:32:42 AMJackson- he's an upgrade over Hawkins and provides depth in case of injury
The depth thing I understand, but is Jackson really better than Hawkins on the outside? He's clearly a downgrade over Flott in the slot

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

When you lose a player, it's not really about the talent of the player lost, but rather the gap in talent between the player lost and his replacement.

Thomas-  Thomas is an elite or near-elite LT.  The replacements have been well below average.  The gap here is Grand Cayon like at the critical LT position.

JMS- Brederson hasn't played significantly worse than JMS. However,  Brederson plays better at his natural guard position and the backfill at guard is a downgrade (at least until Pugh was signed and Glowinski stepped up).

Jones-  Tyrod has done an excellent job subbing for Jones, so there isn't much of a dropoff (if any) for now.

Jackson-  I think there is a bit of a dropoff from Jackson to Hawkins.   It's tough to say how much because the Giants have been playing Jackson out of position at slot.

Neal-  Neal has played so poorly, I am not sure it's possible for there to be a dropoff
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I know people don't think he's getting better but Neal is trending in a positive direction especially the past two games before Injury. Because of injury he's just now played 1 full season.

Thomas- to stabilize the left side
JMS- to continue to develop
Neal- to continue to develop
Jackson- I'd rather Flott get the reps
Jones- Tyrod is doing fine