News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Malik Willis- proof that you can't take any athletic QB with a great arm and

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2023, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Turn them into an NFL QB.   I think recency bias sort of had many of us overweighing athleticism and arm strength (some people like to call his "arm talent").   Willis reminds us that while those traits are helpful, they don't ensure success.

https://x.com/RapSheet/status/1717137261207179369?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uni

LOL, isn't Levis in the same boat? Isn't that why he dropped in the draft?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uni on October 25, 2023, 09:19:03 AMLOL, isn't Levis in the same boat? Isn't that why he dropped in the draft?

To a degree, yes.  For me, the fact that Levis is starting over Willis is not a good sign for Willis' future, while I think the future for Levis is still up in the air.  Winning the starting job is a good sign, but I think it's a long way from proof that Levis will develop into a solid NFL starter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Not a good sign for Willis at all.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I have no clue why Will Levis was ever elevated as high in the draft as he landed.  Personally, I think scouts were squinting way too hard trying to make him the next Josh Allen. 

TDToomer

The NFL just loves throwing rookie QBS in the the line of fire no matter where they were drafted. There are a few teams where the 3rd/PS QB is leap frogging over the stable veteran #2 like Vegas and Chicago. In other words what many of us wanted McAdoo to do when he benched Eli in 2017.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Uni

Willis was drafted in the 3rd round, so it's not like TN overreached or traded up.

Levis was taken in the second so slightly more expensive.

Whereas the Bills traded up for Allen

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

This is a good topic and one I have thought about recently myself. I think the big headline physical tools (athleticism, height/build, arm strength) are all clearly very important but may be overemphasized relative to the emphasis that other qualities like processing ability, accuracy, pocket awareness, etc. Purdy is an example of a QB who seems to possess more of the subtle tools than the obvious ones that jump off the screen at you on an eye test analysis.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 25, 2023, 09:51:57 AMThis is a good topic and one I have thought about recently myself. I think the big headline physical tools (athleticism, height/build, arm strength) are all clearly very important but may be overemphasized relative to the emphasis that other qualities like processing ability, accuracy, pocket awareness, etc. Purdy is an example of a QB who seems to possess more of the subtle tools than the obvious ones that jump off the screen at you on an eye test analysis.

The traits you listed are more difficult to evaluate than athleticism and arm strength.  Interestingly, you mentioned Purdy.    I am watching his progress, and I see now that injuries have made San Fran a little less of a QB paradise, he has struggled in the last couple of games.   Two games are not enough to erase the good he has done since coming into the league, but I have been watching his progress.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 25, 2023, 10:19:04 AMPurdy is an example of a QB who seems to possess more of the subtle tools than the obvious ones that jump off the screen at you on an eye test analysis.

Has Purdy begun to come back down to earth? or have teams finally figured him out?  He seems pretty below average his last 2 games.

spiderblue43

I don't trust anything the Titans do. Remember they gift-wrapped AJ Brown to the Eagles..didn't scrap their aging team from last year(Byard just traded) and settled for Levins when this 24' draft has far better qb prospects.

:boooo:

TDToomer

Quote from: WheresDayne on October 25, 2023, 10:23:06 AMHas Purdy begun to come back down to earth? or have teams finally figured him out?  He seems pretty below average his last 2 games.

I hope so. Sorry if this is mean but when a team makes a huge mistake at the #3 overall pick they should suffer some consequences.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: WheresDayne on October 25, 2023, 10:23:06 AMHas Purdy begun to come back down to earth? or have teams finally figured him out?  He seems pretty below average his last 2 games.

As I mentioned, I am waiting for a bit more data before deciding.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on October 25, 2023, 10:25:32 AMI hope so. Sorry if this is mean but when a team makes a huge mistake at the #3 overall pick they should suffer some consequences.

This is a fair point, that I have thought of as well.  The 49ers have, overall, been great at drafting and developing talent.  So much so, they may be the only team to not experience consequences for trading up to the 3rd overall pick and whiffing.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 25, 2023, 10:19:04 AMThe traits you listed are more difficult to evaluate than athleticism and arm strength.  Interestingly, you mentioned Purdy.    I am watching his progress, and I see now that injuries have made San Fran a little less of a QB paradise, he has struggled in the last couple of games.  Two games are not enough to erase the good he has done since coming into the league, but I have been watching his progress.

Yup, I have been too, and I agree with your observations. With everyone healthy, plus with the superior play design/play calling of Shannahan, there is little doubt that Purdy has probably the best situation in the NFL, if not one of the better situations of the past decade or so. No doubt his production is augmented substantially by all of it. To state otherwise would be ridiculous. Still, I have been impressed overall with his execution though. He processes quickly and is accurate. I think those are both good qualities. Sam Darnold and Jimmy G had the same advantages Purdy has, and yet he has been better than they were, including as a rookie.

I'm certainly not saying Purdy is the next Joe Montana or anything like that, but like you, he is a guy I'm keeping an eye on. I think there is a pretty decent chance he ends up having a solid career. And his standout skills are not the classic, Josh Allen type ones that jump off the screen and make people drool.

DaveBrown74

No doubt the 9ers made a huge mistake on Lance. Colossal given what they gave up to get him.

Clearly they got lucky on Purdy to a large degree. I mean credit them for picking him, but clearly if they thought he was going to be even decent they wouldn't have waited until the 7th round.