News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could the Giants get a conditional draft pick for Sterling Shepard?

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2023, 10:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I was looking at 5 trades that Randy Mueller thinks should happen.   The Packers apparently need a slot WR and Shepard is clearly just wasting a roster spot (while still being a pretty good slot WR)...

The Packers get a slot receiver for Jordan Love
If truth serum were given out to decision-makers on the soon-to-be frozen tundra of Green Bay, they would admit that coupling a young and unproven QB with several young and inexperienced targets might have been too much to ask. That's especially true if they factor in losing their best running back, who was supposed to take the pressure off all the young guys with a recommitted to gr0und game for several weeks. At 2-4 and having lost three in a row. the Packers have to recalculate. Their season is on the verge of the abyss, but with a somewhat aggressive mindset, it can be rectified.

The Packers have — by age — the NFL's youngest offense at 24.9 years, and at the wide receiver position it even skews lower at 23.5. Former Packers Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb are now Jets, and their experience, perspective and consistency have a value that might have been underestimated. If the Packers can find it within themselves to add a veteran receiver, or even two, I think it would make everyone's life on offense easier.

Hunter Renfrow of the Las Vegas Raiders has been in the witness protection program so far this season. Now 28, he's the same Renfrow who had 103 catches in 2021. He has a mind-boggling eight catches on 12 targets this season (both fifth on the team) and is playing 36 percent of the offensive snaps.

That sounds even crazier to me when you pull up the film and still see quickness, agility, burst to separate against man-to-man coverage AND a natural feel for finding soft spots against zone. If there was ever a case to be made for a change of scenery, this is it. I don't understand at all what the Raiders are trying to do, except to say he serves a parallel role with former Patriot Jakobi Meyers — who might have the role of "teacher's pet" locked down.

If Green Bay can get the Raiders to pay the majority share of what is left of Hunter's 2023 salary (approximately $4 million), it should jump at giving up a late-round draft pick for 2024 or beyond. I don't think the Packers can afford to wait, either, because there might be some competition. The Patriots, Saints and even the 49ers, with Deebo Samuel out, could make a case to add a skill set of Renfrow's nature if the price is right.

https://theathletic.com/4995928/2023/10/25/nfl-trade-deadline-needs-bills-patriots-packers/?source=twitterhq
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE