News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What will it take for Jones to keep the Giants from drafting another QB?

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2023, 10:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Bobby Skinner addressed this question on his last podcast.   I am not going to give his answer, as I am curious to hear your takes.   If you like, you can give two different answers.  One answer can be what he needs to do to prevent the Giants from drafting a QB, and the other can be what he needs to do in your eyes, so you don't want the Giants to draft another QB.

Of course, you can also give the answer that the ship has sailed (due to injury or performance or both), and there is nothing that Jones can do to save his job as the Giants' franchise QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: I'm going to give two answers... one as a fan, the other as an observer of the pro game.

As a fan, I'd say nothing except to NOT show signs of regression and continue developing to the satisfaction of the powers that be (mostly Daboll).  Until personnel situations surrounding him resolve and become at least reasonably stable, he is only to be held accountable for what he accomplishes or fails to accomplish. 

As a close observer of the NFL in general, I'd say it hardly matters.  If they see a college QB in the draft who they believe is a better prospect for winning games, they should draft him.  If they see only QB's about whom there are as many unresolved issues as they see in Jones, they should draft another player to help Jones continue on whatever path of improvement they believe Jones is capable of.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

4 Aces

He has to un-David Carr himself. And I'm not sure that's possible.

That said - Jones has been incredibly resilient through the toughest game day circumstances. Maybe stepping away will reset his internal clock. Carr was never able to do so, nor was Eli late in his career. 

Ed Vette

Its not one thing Rich. He has to stay healthy. He has to read the field better and get his passes off on a timely basis for completions to extend drives. He has to look downfield and move within the pocket to avoid pressure to complete passes.

It all starts with health because if he can't complete a full season, he's not available.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Uni

Show that he can make a few stick throws a game, surpass Taylor's air yards and yards per game AND do it three games in a row, not just for 2 isolated quarters

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

H-Town G-Fan

I don't think the ship has sailed on Jones with the Giants. The Giants owe him a ton of money and Mara loves him. Those two factors alone will magnify any positive steps he makes in the coming weeks.

That being said, I do think he very much needs to take some of those positive steps and show something more than what he has displayed this season to ensure the Giants don't draft his replacement. While I understand some here don't like to say "he needs to throw for X yards and X TDs," there is a numerical production that has to be met in my opinion. The game is played to score points, and yards (and of course TDs) are how points are generated. The offensive output with him at the helm this season was unacceptable (understanding the limitations of the roster). Jones needs to produce more yards through the air. And I don't think it is just a numbers thing--I think it's fair to say that he has not been operating the offense in the manner the Daboll ideally wants. We have seen too many checkdowns with Jones at the helm and Daboll's post-game comments at times have hinted at that.

So what does he need to do in my opinion for the Giants to continue to commit to him? Play better and win games.

Jclayton92

I think he'd have to end the season with 4,000 yards and 25 Tds to even be considered and that's not going to happen. It's a passing league and he can't throw with the consistency or volume to be the guy. We will never have an explosive offense with Jones at the reigns regardless of who the coaches are.

In my opinion the coaches are either asking Tyrod to do more in the offense or he's taking the initiative to do more than Jones does and that should never be the case.

Bob In PA

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 25, 2023, 10:56:08 AMHe has to un-David Carr himself. And I'm not sure that's possible.

That said - Jones has been incredibly resilient through the toughest game day circumstances. Maybe stepping away will reset his internal clock. Carr was never able to do so, nor was Eli late in his career. 

Aces: Yeah, I've been afraid for three years that the Giants may have "David Carr-ed" Daniel Jones. Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 25, 2023, 11:21:28 AMI think he'd have to end the season with 4,000 yards and 25 Tds to even be considered and that's not going to happen. It's a passing league and he can't throw with the consistency or volume to be the guy. We will never have an explosive offense with Jones at the reigns regardless of who the coaches are.

In my opinion the coaches are either asking Tyrod to do more in the offense or he's taking the initiative to do more than Jones does and that should never be the case.

J: Afraid you're right... hope you're wrong. Bob

DaveBrown74

I know some will disagree with me on this, but I feel we have already seen enough on Jones. If the Giants are in position to draft a QB that they like, I think they should do it, almost no matter what. Part of the reason I feel that way is because Jones will very likely still be a Giant next year. If he plays well after his return, that would be nice, but it would be a small sample against a pretty bad large sample. Moreover his durability is a huge, huge issue. So I really think the Giants need to give themselves another option at the position. If Jones is actually a franchise caliber QB who, for whatever reason, just hasn't shown it yet through 4-plus seasons, and the QB we draft is a high value QB, then to me that's not a bad problem to have. We can obviously trade one of them and get a haul.

To get me to begin to change my opinion on Jones I'd need to see him play discernibly better than what we have seen from Tyrod Taylor overall the last two games, which has been efficient, 95-rating, mistake-free game management with some nice long throws mixed in. Jones would need to be clearly better than that for the rest of the season to get me to begin to reconsider my stance. And even then I'd still be in favor of the Giants taking a first round QB if they like one and are able to get him.

Philosophers

With under 900 yards passing and only 2 TDs and 10 games left it's not he is going to achieve big numbers like the top QBs.

I'd say he needs to average yards and TDs higher than what he's achieved.  My guess would be for him to average 225 yards per game and 1.5 TDs per game over the remaining 10 games including good numbers against better teams.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 25, 2023, 11:42:00 AMWith under 900 yards passing and only 2 TDs and 10 games left it's not he is going to achieve big numbers like the top QBs.

I'd say he needs to average yards and TDs higher than what he's achieved.  My guess would be for him to average 225 yards per game and 1.5 TDs per game over the remaining 10 games including good numbers against better teams.
that would leave him with virtually the same passing numbers he had last year with more ints. Even then I don't think 3150, 17, 6 saves him.

MightyGiants

I am going to break this up into two parts:

The Giants-  While QBs are not fully responsible for wins and losses, I think DJ needs to return quickly, stay healthy the rest of the season, and play well enough that the Giants win enough games to push the Giants out of real contention (barring paying a king's ransom to move up) for a top QB prospect.

Me-  DJ has had injury issues for four of his five years in the league.  The neck issue seems like it could be a chronic issue for as long as he plays in the NFL (or at least his risk is greater than average).  If there is an attractive QB prospect that falls to the Giants, I would have a hard time passing on him regardless of how well DJ plays for the rest of the season.

Now, if the Giants win enough games that a QB doesn't "fall" to the Giants, things get more complicated, especially if DJ plays like a solid top-10 QB.   In that case, I have to consider the cost of keeping a high-end backup to keep behind Jones, versus the cost (in terms of improving other areas of the team) of moving up to grab a top QB prospect.   I am mindful that the move-up cost is somewhat offset by the lower salary of a QB on a rookie contract.

I guess in my mind, unlike winning a contract with the Giants in year 4, I think at this point, DJ's fate is less in his own hands.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I'm sort of perplexed as to why anyone thinks a decision as big as whether or not to take a QB in the first round could or should hinge on a handful of games of data on a player when we already have 59 games worth of data on that player. Especially considering that we have all just watched a very inexpensive, aging, journeyman backup play pretty effectively under all the same conditions Jones has had (actually less if you count Ezeudu getting hurt). Taylor's recent play, in my opinion at least, poses major problems for the argument that "Jones cannot be properly evaluated due to the lack of talent around him." I don't see how we can keep saying that at this point and keep kicking the can on the final evaluation process.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 25, 2023, 12:13:28 PMI'm sort of perplexed as to why anyone thinks a decision as big as whether or not to take a QB in the first round could or should hinge on a handful of games of data on a player when we already have 59 games worth of data on that player. Especially considering that we have all just watched a very inexpensive, aging, journeyman backup play pretty effectively under all the same conditions Jones has had (actually less if you count Ezeudu getting hurt). Taylor's recent play, in my opinion at least, poses major problems for the argument that "Jones cannot be properly evaluated due to the lack of talent around him." I don't see how we can keep saying that at this point and keep kicking the can on the final evaluation process.
DB: Good points, but IMO it should depend more on how the Giants see the NFL potential of QB's in the draft.

This is more important than on how Jones plays, unless he magically erases all doubt about his shortcomings...

... or it becomes clear to the coaches, GM and owner that he'll never be good enough (not likely to happen IMO).

Bob