News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What will it take for Jones to keep the Giants from drafting another QB?

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2023, 10:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

Its too late for jones
I know its not good to pay a qb 40 million a year to babysit
But would it be bad in the long run for a rookie qb to sit behind jones for a year
No matter what you think about jones
He works hard
Gives it all
And that wouldnt be bad to learn from
There were 3 rookie qbs who were drafted early this year
One.is doing amazing
One is winless
One is out for the season
That is a.33.percent success rate

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ralphpal1 on October 25, 2023, 05:57:57 PMIts too late for jones
But would it be bad in the long run for a rookie qb to sit behind jones for a year
He works hard
Gives it all
One.is doing amazing
One is winless

Obviously we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, but in the event that they do draft a QB, I would have no problem at all with him sitting for some or even all of his rookie year. In fact I think that should be the base case. Mahomes did that and he seems to have turned out ok.

Uni

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 25, 2023, 03:21:59 PMI think you're underestimating Gettleman's incompetence.  Jones WAS the one he wanted.  He was the only one that wanted him in the top 10.  And if he were still here that Jones contract would be significantly worse than it already is as he tries to save face at the expense of the team.
We would be in the second year of a $100 mil guaranteed $50mil AAV contract if Gettleman was still here

StompYouOT

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 25, 2023, 01:43:37 PMI think Jones playing actually gives us a better chance at drafting his successor than Taylor finishing the season.

100%.  Tyrod can win us some games.  I'd have a stronger feeling about it if I knew more about the '24 class.  I just know I don't like watching games like Jones has been in this year. 

But yeah better for long term if we lose this season with DJ.

Quote from: ralphpal1 on October 25, 2023, 05:57:57 PMIts too late for jones
He works hard
Gives it all
One.is doing amazing
One is winless

It's scary in those terms.  While I have been vocal against Jones I don't want to spend the #4 overall pick on the next Sam Darnold or Jimmy Clausen.  Honestly DJ is better than that, sort of.  I would rather have a defense changing edge rusher and let Tyrod do it next year.  I really hope some impactful QB comes in here, even if it's only for 3-4 years and not 10.

BluesCruz

The focus should be on winning and the overall team capability and compatability

No one player on this team is sacred

That being said a good QB can inspire a mediocre team and a bad one can damper a good team

Too much emphasis has been placed on Saquon Barkley- a short field player
Saquon is never going to stretch the field, so opponents key on Barkley and crowd the LOS

Im not sure its all Jones fault that we are so easy to defend....a lot of the blame goes to the robotic playcalling we have had with Jones under center and Barkley next to him

TT has been a breath of fresh air, and the Oline and Defense have rallied around him
Its like the cuffs have come off.  Barkley and Jones are both good players but not when playing together.  The blind madness of get the ball to Barkley on 50-60% of the play has destroyed our offensive thrust

TT has found creative ways to break through and lob the ball downfield
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Dgoodmantrublu

Drafting a QB should be their top priority. You just can't wait more than 5 years. Jones isn't it. Other teams know it and you can tell by the trap coverages that Jones still hasn't figured out. Add his injury history on top of all that and you have to do everything you can to find your next QB. And do it now.

Jaime

I was a HUGE Dimes supporter. I even had him in my Mock, and was thrilled when Drafted him :o
After a promising Rook season, the wind went out of my sails the following few seasons.
As a result, I believe the U.S.S. Dimes has sailed, BIGTIME  :jawdrop:

In the 2024 Draft use all our resources to scout the QB Prospects and zero in our QB that is reachable.
Then, do what we can to grab him :goteam: