News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants tell Barkley he is not going anywhere

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2023, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

And we wonder why we've been stuck in reverse the last decade.

Philosophers

Teams need leaders and he is one by example and vocally.  That may be why he is still here.

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Giant Obsession

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 25, 2023, 12:54:47 PMI was less than happy to hear this.  I am not sure what Daboll and Schoen gain by making this commitment.
This keeps the locker room nice and peaceful.  Nothing more.  And of course tells the rest of the league it will take more than a cursory offer if they want him.  Trust me, lose to the Jets, and the right offer comes along, he is gone.

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Jclayton92

284 yards in 4 games averaging 3.8 yards a carry with 1 TD is not extraordinary or even above average for 10 million a year.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 25, 2023, 05:23:03 PMHow is moving a couple of vets you're not going to re-sign, after starting the year 2-6, "throwing in the towel on the entire organization"? I don't see how what I said is putting anything in "such extreme terms." Your point would make sense if I was suggesting getting rid of players they would otherwise want to keep. I'm talking about trying to salvage some value from pieces we will not be keeping. What is so "extreme" about that?

I think he means how does that make the team better now? How does that make the culture, the "Giant family," better this year?

Everyone's so busy writing off this player and that player that all he's asking is what about next Sunday, folks?

But the other part that doesn't get articulated here is that you wheel and deal with a partner. Like going to a dance, you'd best find a partner who is aligned with your steps or you'll be stepping on each other's toes. In other words, where are these suitable trade partners to move these players off to?

For now, anyway, Barkley and the Giants are joined at the hip for better or worse. Once this season  is done, and if the Giants end up struggling the rest of the way, I think it is safe to say wholesale changes are coming and Barkley's future will once again come into question.

For now, I think he provides the best current state value doing what he's doing right now, and that's playing for the Giants.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jaime

"We didn't sign him to trade him".
I know, a different Mgt. group, a different player, and a different time.
But it just goes to show you how fast things can change ;)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on October 25, 2023, 11:44:58 PMI think he means how does that make the team better now? How does that make the culture, the "Giant family," better this year?

Obviously it doesn't. The idea is that at 2-6, you're in a position where you should be thinking about next season and the seasons beyond that than obsessing over whether you finish 6-11 or 4-13. To me, and I think to most fans, there really is no meaningful difference. You stink either way. And if you're not going to keep certain players, why not explore getting something for them instead of letting them walk for nothing, if you have close to a 0% chance of making the playoffs?

I don't get all the "culture" and "family" stuff either. We're talking about only moving players that that team has no intention of keeping after this year. Moving such players doesn't "kill a culture." And frankly if the team is 2-6, how much has said culture helped them win in the first place?

If the Giants win on Sunday, then the conversation is different, as we would appear to still have a shot plus the team's newfound positive momentum would be noteworthy. But failing that, at 2-6 I personally would prefer to see them take steps to augment their future. If people disagree that's obviously fine. It's just my opinion.

Woody

Quote from: Philosophers on October 25, 2023, 12:50:38 PMBarkley is a good player (maybe not a great player) and he wants to be here.  I think he realizes now he is not going to get a big contract.  Giants need to build around him including another good RB and be happy he wants to be here rather than be like other players wanting to leave.  He has heart and guts.

How many other Giants players can we say that about?
I agree loyalty to a team is a rare commodity these days in the NFL....I was one that thought the Giants org. would be willing to trade him for the right price...glad at this point that is not the case.