News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How fast each QB has been pressured

Started by MightyGiants, October 26, 2023, 09:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Confirms what the eyes see.

When does sack pressure occur?

1) as QB is dropping back?

2) after he has set his feet?

3) after he sets his feet and has had a chance to scan the field for his first option?

4) after he sets his feet and has had a chance to scan the field for his secondary options?

In the case of DJ, it was generally 1 and 2 above and rarely 3 and never 4.

With Tyrod, I saw a bit better protection (tiny bit) but more importantly, Taylor's ability to move a step or two inside or around collapsing pocket to buy himself another split second which helped him make a throw but he was still making it under duress.

That's what my eyes saw.

Ed Vette

What's more telling is the unblocked ratio. Great gosh Josh!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Uni

I wonder if settings protections and anticipating pressure and avoiding it for a beat or two longer can affect this stat. It really feels like Taylor has a better handle on anticipating pressure than Jones does.

Also, what constitutes the measure of time to pressure? Is it a measure of distance between a pass rusher and the QB? The moment the QB has to start moving in the pocket?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on October 26, 2023, 10:29:58 AMConfirms what the eyes see.

When does sack pressure occur?

1) as QB is dropping back?

2) after he has set his feet?

3) after he sets his feet and has had a chance to scan the field for his first option?

4) after he sets his feet and has had a chance to scan the field for his secondary options?

In the case of DJ, it was generally 1 and 2 above and rarely 3 and never 4.

With Tyrod, I saw a bit better protection (tiny bit) but more importantly, Taylor's ability to move a step or two inside or around collapsing pocket to buy himself another split second which helped him make a throw but he was still making it under duress.

That's what my eyes saw.

completely agree with this.

babywhales

The .2 sec difference in DJ and TT could be as simple as the difference between shotgun and play action. 

It would be interesting to see how much the Dallas game impacts the data on Jones as well. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Next Gen Stats:

Time to throw:
Jones 2.73
Taylor 2.72

Average Completed Air Yards:
Jones 4.2
Taylor 5.8

Intended Air Yards
Jones 6.3
Taylor 8

Air Yards Differential
Jones -2.1
Taylor -2.2

Aggressive percentage
Jones 10.6%
Taylor 15%

Average Yards to Stick
Jones -3
Taylor -1.2

Average depth of Target
Jones 6.3
Taylor 8

Also saw a stat on FTN who took over the DVOA stats that outsiders used to have where Jones was pressured on 47.5% of his snaps, and only completing 54.4% of his passes and throwing it 3.6 Yards per attempt when pressured. Jones had been hurried on 41 snaps or 22.9% of his plays for a 65.9% completion rate but only 4.1 Yards per attempt. Teams only blitzed Jones 47 times or 26.3% of his snaps for a 52.6% completion rate at 4.1 Yards per attempt.

Also check out nfl savants Giants page were they chart passing stats. Wild to look and see the jump of deep passes on an actual chart by week. Here is the site

https://nflsavant.com/game.php?team_code=NYG&team_id=3410&stype=REG&year=2023

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 26, 2023, 04:52:55 PMhttps://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/24/daniel-jones-forced-sit-idly-by-tyrod-taylor-revives-new-york-giants/
I've done deep dives into 10 of the top 15 Qbs in the 2024 draft. Thought about posting 1 daily in the same thread but thought it might be a little premature only halfway through the season.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 26, 2023, 05:33:03 PMI've done deep dives into 10 of the top 15 Qbs in the 2024 draft. Thought about posting 1 daily in the same thread but thought it might be a little premature only halfway through the season.
Way too premature.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 26, 2023, 05:33:03 PMI've done deep dives into 10 of the top 15 Qbs in the 2024 draft. Thought about posting 1 daily in the same thread but thought it might be a little premature only halfway through the season.

The end of season games/post season games are the ones that typically matter.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 26, 2023, 06:07:39 PMThe end of season games/post season games are the ones that typically matter.
I would agree, I've been following this class since last year and have in depth scouting reports. I did it to be able to see their pros and cons from last year and to see how they've grown/progressed.