News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How fast each QB has been pressured

Started by MightyGiants, October 26, 2023, 09:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgoodmantrublu

This is a stat that is distorted by how a QB can move within a pocket. This is an area that Jones has regressed majorly. On the first big pass to Hyatt on Sunday, Tyrod reset in they pocket before making the throw. I don't think that counted as a pressure. Jones would have moved right into a pressure.

Bob In PA

You guys. Please stop inundating us with facts. Admit it. You all made up those charts out of thin air, right. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kingm56

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on October 26, 2023, 08:13:08 PMThis is a stat that is distorted by how a QB can move within a pocket. This is an area that Jones has regressed majorly. On the first big pass to Hyatt on Sunday, Tyrod reset in they pocket before making the throw. I don't think that counted as a pressure. Jones would have moved right into a pressure.

QBs also have roles in sacks and pressures; to that point, if a QB fails to locate an open receiver in 5 seconds, and gets sacked, is it really the OL fault?  Same with pressures, if the QB is pressured because he failed to recognize a blitz and throw to a hot wr, is it entirely the OL fault?  How about the QB's failure to audible to a correct play?  These charts, while impressive, are completely useless as they're provided in a vacuum.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on October 27, 2023, 07:41:46 AMQBs also have roles in sacks and pressures; to that point, if a QB fails to locate an open receiver in 5 seconds, and gets sacked, is it really the OL fault?  Same with pressures, if the QB is pressured because he failed to recognize a blitz and throw to a hot wr, is it entirely the OL fault?  How about the QB's failure to audible to a correct play?  These charts, while impressive, are completely useless as they're provided in a vacuum.

I agree that QBs have more influence on line play than many realize/accept. The notion that O line play is static and only QB play is impacted by it (and not even a little bit of the other way around) is absolutely false IMO. Release time, pre-snap diagnosis/audibles, and pocket awareness/manipulation all play roles.

And, very importantly, I also think QBs themselves impact what types of looks they face from opposing defenses. If you have a QB who rarely looks downfield and whose primary instinct at the first sign of trouble is to check it down, the defensive fronts that that QB is going to see will differ from a QB who establishes himself as a guy who will take shots down field routinely. I think this is a key part of the reason why Taylor has not had as much trouble with opposing pass rushes as Jones has had. The notion that the explanation for this is entirely, 100% because a previously horrible line suddenly started to play much better out of the blue, and that it had nothing whatsoever to do with the QB being Taylor and not Jones, just does not ring true at all. Occam's razor comes into play here.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on October 26, 2023, 08:13:08 PMThis is a stat that is distorted by how a QB can move within a pocket. This is an area that Jones has regressed majorly. On the first big pass to Hyatt on Sunday, Tyrod reset in they pocket before making the throw. I don't think that counted as a pressure. Jones would have moved right into a pressure.

If we were talking sacks, I would agree.  However, we are talking time to pressure.  That has nothing to do QB (the QB is can influence if that pressure turns into a hit or sack).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 27, 2023, 08:33:27 AMIf we were talking sacks, I would agree.  However, we are talking time to pressure.  That has nothing to do QB (the QB is can influence if that pressure turns into a hit or sack).

TO an extent I agree; however, not completely and the reason is this. 

If the Giants have 5:6 at the line with, the 6th guy is on the QB to identify pre snap, change coverage, audible or identify the hot read.

If the Defense presents with a overhang player that is not on the Oline, that is on the QB to identify and once again adjust to by change coverage, audible, recognize the flat pattern to the overflow side or if applicable identify the hot read. I would argue this read is exactly why Jones appears to sees more shotgun in an attempt to aid him.

I bring up those two scenarios as they can be seen on the game film from the first 7 and the mistakes in doing so are more prevalent in the first 5 games. In fact, that is exactly why 6 of the 18 sacks Jones saw in those 2 games were on him and not the Oline.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

Quote from: babywhales on October 27, 2023, 09:24:12 AMTO an extent I agree; however, not completely and the reason is this. 

If the Giants have 5:6 at the line with, the 6th guy is on the QB to identify pre snap, change coverage, audible or identify the hot read.

If the Defense presents with a overhang player that is not on the Oline, that is on the QB to identify and once again adjust to by change coverage, audible, recognize the flat pattern to the overflow side or if applicable identify the hot read. I would argue this read is exactly why Jones sees more shotgun in an attempt to aid him.

I bring up those two scenarios as they can be seen on the game film from the first 7 and the mistakes in doing so are more prevalent in the first 5 games. In fact, that is exactly why 6 of the 18 sacks Jones saw in those 2 games were on him and not the Oline.

Chris,

Where were you able to find the stats for percent shotgun for a QB?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 27, 2023, 09:28:24 AMChris,

Rich,

I did not and miss spoke in my hast to type.  To be fair, I should of typed, "appears to see more shotgun".  I will edit and correct my original comment. If I get time later I can look some advanced splits and see if I can find them 

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

babywhales

I found the advanced splits at Pro football reference

Jones is in shotgun 133 of 151 snaps 88%

Tyrod is in shotgun 63 of 80 snaps, 78%.

So not as big of difference as I would have expected.

Jones runs more playaciton as well
Jones Play action 23%
Tyrod 17%

The biggest difference I see of the two is RPO

Jones runs RPO 15%
Tyrod runs RPO .05%

Dgoodmantrublu

If a guy leaves the pocket too soon, he can create pressure that wasn't there. Jones was doing it. He has developed David Carritis. Not necessarily his fault with what he had to deal with. But it is there now and there is usually no recovery.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 27, 2023, 08:33:27 AMIf we were talking sacks, I would agree.  However, we are talking time to pressure.  That has nothing to do QB (the QB is can influence if that pressure turns into a hit or sack).

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 27, 2023, 09:28:24 AMChris,

They have most passing stats play action, vs coverages, deep ball passing etc at FTNFantasy