News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Banks is having an impressive rookie season

Started by MightyGiants, October 26, 2023, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

He has been one of the few bright spots on the team.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on October 26, 2023, 10:36:15 AMHe has been one of the few bright spots on the team.

You know what I like about him, Joe?  In addition to being good, he's got swag...we've been missing that on def. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on October 26, 2023, 10:45:04 AMYou know what I like about him, Joe?  In addition to being good, he's got swag...we've been missing that on def. 

Agreed King, and for the most part I'm not seeing the "swag" or feistiness translate to dumb rookie mistakes, as you might expect from a player with that profile.

I liked the Banks pick when we made it, and I would say so far he has visibly exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a year where we could see glimpses of his talent but where there would be a learning curve and a lot of rookie mistakes. That hasn't really been the case. He's been good.

TDToomer

After years of watching rookies CB's fall flat and get burned we finally got it right. I love this kid. Hope he gets All-Rookie honors.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

SUPERSEE

a pleasant surprise indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Joey Porter Jr has an 80.4 PFF. Banks has a 56.2.

I doubt the gap between the two players is that wide, but that's interesting.

Dgoodmantrublu

My usual comment about PFF applies.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2023, 07:51:55 PMJoey Porter Jr has an 80.4 PFF. Banks has a 56.2.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on October 26, 2023, 08:26:27 PMMy usual comment about PFF applies.

Have you watched a lot of Steelers football this year?

Dgoodmantrublu

Not commenting on Porter. Just commenting on the ridiculously low grades for Banks. I'm sure Porter is fitting well in Pittsburgh's system. But Banks grading in the 50 is literally insane.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2023, 08:31:36 PMHave you watched a lot of Steelers football this year?

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2023, 07:51:55 PMJoey Porter Jr has an 80.4 PFF. Banks has a 56.2.

Porter Jr only has 10 targets which is why his is so great currently even though he's only given up 1 reception.

Witherspoon and Banks have played significantly more snaps and had more targets than Gonzalez and Porter JR.

Gonzalez PFF 80.8
24 targets 16 rec 1 Int 15 tackles

Porter Jr PFF 80.4
10 targets 1 rec 1 Int 4 tackles

Banks PFF 56.2
36 targets 20 receptions 1 Int 17 tackles

Witherspoon PFF 88.5
29 targets 16 receptions 1 Int 25 tackles

Emanuel Forbes PFF 37.5
28 targets 20 receptions 1 Int 18 tackles

I don't see how Banks differs from Gonzalez or Witherspoon for PFF to makes them a 30+ difference.

If you look at PFFs top 20 corners so far there's Diggs, Surtain, Gardner, and a ton of unknown guys.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/lists/pff-20-highest-graded-cb-christian-gonzalez-cracks-top-three/

Dgoodmantrublu

They don't know what they are watching. They don't know coverage responsibilities on plays or how the coaching staff is telling them to play. If Banks was grading so low, he wouldn't be traveling with a teams best receiver as he has done.

DaveBrown74

I get all the points about the grading system and don't really disagree.

I would only add that if Porter is out there on most downs and he has only been targeted 10 times, that says something to me right there about his coverage abilities. If he were a weak link teams would be throwing at him constantly.