News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2013 NFL draft, the worst ever?

Started by GloryDays, October 27, 2023, 04:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

NFL Draft watch:

The 2013 NFL Draft may officially be the WORST draft of all-time.

1. Eric Fisher (out of league)
2. Luke Joeckel (out of league)
3. Dion Jordan (out of league)
4. Lane Johnson (Eagles)
5. Ezekiel Ansah (out of league)
6. Barkevious Mingo (out of league)
7. Jonathan Cooper (out of league)
8. Tavon Austin (out of league)
9. Dee Milliner (out of league)
10. Chance Warmack (out of league)
11. D.J. Fluker (out of league)
12. D.J. Hayden (out of league)
13. Sheldon Richardson (out of league)
14. Star Lotulelei (out of league)
15. Kenny Vaccaro (out of league)
16. EJ Manuel (out of league)
17. Jarvis Jones (out of league)
18. Eric Reid (out of league)
19. Justin Pugh (Giants)
20. Kyle Long (out of league)
21. Tyler Eifert (out of league)
22. Desmond Trufant (out of league)
23. Sharrif Floyd (out of league)
24. Bjoern Werner (out of league)
25. Xavier Rhodes (out of league)
26. Datone Jones (out of league)
27. DeAndre Hopkins (Titans)
28. Sylvester Williams (out of league)
29. Cordarrelle Patterson (Falcons)
30. Alec Ogletree (out of league)
31. Travis Frederick (out of league)
32. Matt Elam (out of league)

Just FOUR players from the first round of this class are still in the NFL 😳

Giant Jim

Looks like Jerry Reese had one of the four best picks. How many OL picks have the Giants made between Pugh and Thomas that made it? Richburg?

ozzie

Not saying it was a great draft class, but what is the average length of an NFL career?
How many players get a 10+ year run?
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

PSUBeirut

Quote from: ozzie on October 27, 2023, 09:12:32 AMNot saying it was a great draft class, but what is the average length of an NFL career?

agree- the "out of league" piece is not a good way to evaluate a draft that's this old.  I'd assume most drafts would have this many dudes out of the league after 10 years.

MightyGiants

10 seasons is a long time to be in the league.  This far out, I think the worst measure is if they are still in the league
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Agree on the out-of-league point. Not many players are in the league a decade after day one.

Still, the original point of the thread (that this draft was horrible) is absolutely true. Almost every name on this list was a massive bust.

TDToomer

Quote from: Giant Jim on October 27, 2023, 07:22:03 AMLooks like Jerry Reese had one of the four best picks. How many OL picks have the Giants made between Pugh and Thomas that made it? Richburg?

I was going to say Flowers who became a decent starting guard post Giants but I see that he has been out of the league since 2021 and is only 29.

The 2013 draft also includes another excellent Giants pick in the 2nd round who is still active and starting with the Cowboys in Johnathan Hankins.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Doc16LT56

I generally agree that longevity isn't a good measure for draft success but it does seem as though 2013 has less longevity than other drafts.

Active players by draft year (1st round only):

2010: 4
2011: 7
2012: 7
2013: 4
2014: 12
2015: 19
2016: 20

Looking at Pro Bowl and All Pro selections, 2013 had 5 players selected All Pro and 12 selected to the Pro Bowl at least once.

Looking 3 years before and 3 years after, the 2013 draft looks fairly normal, not great but also not catastrophically bad.

All Pro players:
2010: 9
2011: 11
2012: 7
2013: 5
2014: 4
2015: 4
2016: 5

Pro Bowl players:
2010: 17
2011: 16
2012: 14
2013: 12
2014: 17
2015: 12
2016: 11

Granted, counting number of players who made All Pro or Pro Bowl isn't the best measure either. For example, Carson Wentz made an All Pro team but is widely viewed as a bust after a promising start.

Just eyeballing the list of players in 2023, the top-10 looks particularly weak. 6 of the 10 players started in the league 3 years or less. That looks really bad. The rest of the 1st round looks fairly normal but there aren't any future hall of famers either other than Hopkins who has a shot. A bunch of these guys had solid careers, there just isn't a ton of star power there.

Overall, 2013 looks to me like the top-10 had more outright busts than one would expect. The rest of the 1st round looks solid enough but there aren't enough big stars to compensate for the multiple massive failures in the top-10.

kingm56

Quote from: TDToomer on October 27, 2023, 09:31:39 AMI was going to say Flowers who became a decent starting guard post Giants but I see that he has been out of the league since 2021 and is only 29.

The 2013 draft also includes another excellent Giants pick in the 2nd round who is still active and starting with the Cowboys in Johnathan Hankins.

Yeah, I've seen Flowers used here as an example of how coaching can transform a veteran player into a quality pro.  Yet, it's a false-narrative not supported by any facts.  His PFF scores remained terrible and he only played for 3 additional years post 2018, for three different teams.  He was terrible when he was here, and remained terrible for three short years...he was out of the NFL before reaching 27 years old.

Concerning the subject, I agree with everyone else; expecting players to enjoy career beyond 10 years is an unreasonable expectations, especially for WRs, RBs, CBs, LBs, TEs and other positions that rely on quickness, which often degrades post 30 years old.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 27, 2023, 10:33:36 AM.

This is why we've been terrible for a decade...we can't draft for poo

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Jim

Quote from: ozzie on October 27, 2023, 09:12:32 AMNot saying it was a great draft class, but what is the average length of an NFL career?
The question is the average length of 1st & 2nd picks. 4-7th rounders and undrafted players are part of the average length. They probably bring down the average length considerably.

shadowspinner0

This draft produced, Travis Kelce, DeAndre Hopkins Leveon Bell, David Bakhtiari, Darius Slay, Lane Johnson ect..
I'd argue the 2015 draft is worse. People just look at the first round and ignore the rest of the rounds.   

MagicRat

That was going to be my point.
10 years is a long time in the NFL.
Smell my cheese you mother!