News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Leonard Williams to the Seahawks

Started by jgrangers2, October 30, 2023, 02:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 10:42:24 PMI need a lot more film on this entire QB class.
Ed: IMO, the 2023 draft certainly does not contain a Peyton Manning or John Elway (obvious #1 overall pick).

Lots of folks said last year at this time, "2022 isn't a good year for QBs but just wait til next year (2023)."

I hope they're right... but I just don't see it.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 03:04:46 PMGordon: I get it, but Taylor remaining in the hospital may have been the actual catalyst. Just a wild guess. Bob

In the sense that the season's gone or because they needed to sign another QB and get some Cap Space freed up (did they, actually, get some cap back with the trade)?

Bob In PA

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on October 31, 2023, 02:34:59 AMIn the sense that the season's gone or because they needed to sign another QB and get some Cap Space freed up (did they, actually, get some cap back with the trade)?
Gordon: Over my pay-grade, but it's my understanding that the answer is no. The picks are what they got. Bob

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 09:06:37 AMhttps://x.com/mlombardiNFL/status/1719307888286486726?s=20

The bonus money was owed anyways. I don't really agree with this interpretation if I am being completely honest.

MightyGiants

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on October 31, 2023, 09:53:40 AMThe bonus money was owed anyways. I don't really agree with this interpretation if I am being completely honest.

I can see it from both sides.  I see your point in that it's essentially a sunk cost.  On the other hand, I can see the point that the team no longer has Leo's services but is paying essentially the same as if he was still here.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 10:40:47 AMI can see it from both sides.  I see your point in that it's essentially a sunk cost.  On the other hand, I can see the point that the team no longer has Leo's services but is paying essentially the same as if he was still here.

Rich: A counterpoint to your last sentence is... maybe the defense will play the same without him as with him. lol

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 10:52:35 AMRich: A counterpoint to your last sentence is... maybe the defense will play the same without him as with him. lol

The Giants are 2-6...does it really matter at this point? 

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on October 31, 2023, 11:44:20 AMThe Giants are 2-6...does it really matter at this point?
It does if the O gets healthy and we reel off 4 in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on October 31, 2023, 09:53:40 AMThe bonus money was owed anyways. I don't really agree with this interpretation if I am being completely honest.

Agreed 100%. It doesn't make sense.

To Rich's point explaining the other side - "they're paying him for his services despite no longer having his services" - this is totally inconsequential. This year is over, and Leo was not going to be here beyond this year, regardless.

A cheap, 2nd round pick who will be here for at least the next 4 years is infinitely more available than continuing to trot out Leo for 9 more meaningless games.

kingm56

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 31, 2023, 11:45:51 AMIt does if the O gets healthy and we reel off 4 in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So we finish 7 and 9, which condemns us to more of the same? It's clear the direction the Giants are moving.

uconnjack8

IF this team manages to get its act together and finishes strong, my opinion of the trade will be even more positive than it already is.  That means the Giants get a 2nd round pick and the defense still played well in the 2nd half of the season. 

I don't see a way that anyone can convince me that getting a 2nd round pick for a guy that was not going to be on the team in 2024 isn't a positive. 

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: kingm56 on October 31, 2023, 11:44:20 AMThe Giants are 2-6...does it really matter at this point? 
king: Yes, just not to me and you, lol. A lot of players can get paid more for accomplishing certain stuff. Bob

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 01:04:11 PMking: Yes, just not to me and you, lol. A lot of players can get paid more for accomplishing certain stuff. Bob

Thats a very fair point, Bob.