News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

the best rant from Mike Francesa in recent memory

Started by MightyGiants, October 30, 2023, 07:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Listened to it the other day. Amusing. Best one since he flipped out after the Eli benching.

Jolly Blue Giant

He's right. This is on the play calling by Kafka/Daboll. There was nothing to lose by letting him throw the ball. Even if he threw the ball one time, the Jets would have stopped loading the box and only playing the run. Ranks up there with the game a couple of years ago where the Giants ran the ball over and over when they are on their own 1-yard line in order to give our kicker more room to punt
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

He's 100% right.  Also message it sends to the team is horrible.

Ed Vette

Obviously he will get no argument from me about the first part, but Tommy did play in preseason games. In fact he was 19-29 for 210 yards and a TD against...

The Jets.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Messiah717

Really an indictment of the head coach and offensive coordinator.  What in the world were they thinking?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Messiah717 on October 30, 2023, 08:52:18 PMReally an indictment of the head coach and offensive coordinator.  What in the world were they thinking?

That their kicker wouldn't miss a 35 yarder?

SUPERSEE

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 07:53:50 PMObviously he will get no argument from me about the first part, but Tommy did play in preseason games. In fact he was 19-29 for 210 yards and a TD against...

The Jets.
Jets 3's and gone's .. not that group they had out there yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob In PA

The list of why the attitude shown by Francesa and the replies in this thread are substantially off-base is lengthy, but I'll put up a few:

(1) DeVito had few if any reps at practice because Tyrod needed as many as possible (see Commanders game).
(2) Giants' best receiver (Waller) was out for the game and the only other TE Bellinger was playing hurt.
(3) Giants' defense was playing great.
(4) Jets QB is not a world-beater.
(5) Jets have one of the NFL's best secondaries.
(6) Jets had extensive tape on DeVito from preseason.
(7) The ball was slippery and wet.
(8) Giants had the lead.
(9) Giants had Saquon and some half-decent OL run-blocking was happening.
and
(10) Most importantly, there was NO OTHER QB to put into the game if DeVito got hurt.

NOT to say the coaches did nothing wrong...
(a) It made more sense to go for 4th and short (Saquon one last time) than to attempt a field goal.
(b) Once OT arrived (and having chosen to receive) Giants needed to throw caution to the wind because the team with better players ordinarily wins in OT.
(c) Possible scenario for the first series involving a rookie QB playing his first NFL game in OT: three max protect pass plays with two men running routes. Look left (short route), if not open look right (medium depth route), if not open throw the f-ing ball out of bounds. NOTHING to Saquon (use him either as a decoy or last-ditch pass protector).  Why not? because that's the most obvious thing to do, especially after the way they played the entire regulation game (sideways outlet passes to the best player just aint gonna cut it when everyone has seen the Giants do that repeatedly over the past year-and-a-half).

Generally, the coaches did the right thing, but failed the team on the final offensive play and in OT.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: SUPERSEE on October 30, 2023, 09:09:00 PMJets 3's and gone's .. not that group they had out there yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True but they were the two's most of the game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 11:11:14 PMTrue but they were the two's most of the game.

You simply can't make any tangible predications from watching preseason games and/or camp practices.  For every Victor Cruz, there are literally thousands of DeVitos.  The real games are just vastly different, especially the nerves associated with playing games that matter.  To that end, I wouldn't make any assumptions based on Devito's play against the Jets in the Pre-Season.

However, your overall point is NOT lost on me.  If he's a QB on your roster, he should be expected to throw the ball.  Otherwise, why the heck is he here!?  I'm trying to reconcile that notion with the strategic decision not to throw the ball, which fundamentally proved to be the correct strategy.  I think it's reasonable to expect your Pro Bowl kicker to make what's effectively an extra point.  Honestly, I think both sides of the discussion are correct, which I acknowledge is contradictory...   

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on October 31, 2023, 02:55:07 AMHowever, your overall point is NOT lost on me.  If he's a QB on your roster, he should be expected to throw the ball.  Otherwise, why the heck is he here!?  I'm trying to reconcile that notion with the strategic decision not to throw the ball, which fundamentally proved to be the correct strategy.  I think it's reasonable to expect your Pro Bowl kicker to make what's effectively an extra point.  Honestly, I think both sides of the discussion are correct, which I acknowledge is contradictory... 

That is the point. He demonstrated he can run a pro offense and he did it albeit against a vanilla Jets Defense with backups and couch players. However, lots of these kids have bad showings in PS games. It showed the level he was at back then and it's a reasonable assumption that he should have progressed after eight weeks. He ran the opposition Offense in practice the last three weeks.

If he wasn't ready to step on to the field and play then he never should have been the backup QB. A decision was made not to sign Barkley or Book weeks ago.

Daboll and Kafka played scared and it cost them the game, even in overtime with those stupid ridiculous screen passes that they didn't even block for. They would have done better with Saquon or Campbell in a wildcat.

An OC who can't call a game or prepare the players and an Oline Coach that took him eight weeks to get some basic fundamentals down. And... a Special Teams Coach that should be Coaching High School football. Meanwhile the Jets were prepared well enough to have Zach Wilson find a comeback receiver, and line up, spotting the ball on the right hash to win the game with one second left.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

PSUBeirut

I listened to it but there's no way this ranks up there with his best rants.  Weird way to describe it, the guy hardly even flew any spittle around from screaming.  2/10.   :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 31, 2023, 09:02:08 AMI listened to it but there's no way this ranks up there with his best rants.  Weird way to describe it, the guy hardly even flew any spittle around from screaming.  2/10.   :laugh:

Agree that it's far from his best. He doesn't really do them anymore. Still thought it was amusing though. But agree it's nothing like some of his ones in the past.

files58

He rants. He repeats the same point in three different ways. He says stuff that we already know. Then a commercial. There's nothing there.