News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 31, 2023, 04:54:27 PMI'll caveat my rankings by saying I'm not a fan of any of these guys and hope the Giants pass on drafting a QB this year.
Stringer: Me and you both. Out of curiosity, have you seen Drew Allar (Penn State) play.  He's a sophomore and could come out for the 2025 draft (no chance this year) but even as a freshman he demonstrated an ability to "hang with the big boys" and believe with the same pace of development this and next season as he's already on, he'll be a sure first round pick (for the Giants, maybe... lets see how things play out). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 05:08:48 PMStringer: Me and you both. Out of curiosity, have you seen Drew Allar (Penn State) play.  He's a sophomore and could come out for the 2025 draft (no chance this year) but even as a freshman he demonstrated an ability to "hang with the big boys" and believe with the same pace of development this and next season as he's already on, he'll be a sure first round pick (for the Giants, maybe... lets see how things play out). Bob

Bob, I have seen Allar and like his upside and makeup. I would rank him right now as #4 on that list. With a strong junior year, I would go for him over McCarthy. And with a big jump in performance, he could fast be on the level with Williams and Maye.

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 05:05:52 PMPhil: A great point, worth serious consideration.

Anyone certainly could view the information in your post as demonstrating that the head coach is holding him back or choking off his opportunity to show what a great NFL QB he'll be. It's possible that's true, but right now I'm not convinced, just like with Caleb Williams and nearly every other college QB who's likely to come out for the 2024 draft.

I don't see an electric QB in this draft. I'm looking for something like Elway and Peyton did in college. But the season is only half over, so there's plenty of time.  I'm just making the point that as of today I'd take Marvin Harrison, Jr. 

Bob

I'm a big Marvin Harrison fan too.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 31, 2023, 05:12:13 PMBob, I have seen Allar and like his upside and makeup. I would rank him right now as #4 on that list. With a strong junior year, I would go for him over McCarthy. And with a big jump in performance, he could fast be on the level with Williams and Maye.

Currently they have as the #1 QB in the 2025 draft
The KING is in the building

Philosophers

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 31, 2023, 05:12:13 PMBob, I have seen Allar and like his upside and makeup. I would rank him right now as #4 on that list. With a strong junior year, I would go for him over McCarthy. And with a big jump in performance, he could fast be on the level with Williams and Maye.

Allar did not impress me against Ohio St.  He was 18-42 for 191 yards.  I think McCarthy will light up OSU.

Rosehill Jimmy

https://www.giants.com/video/draft-season-tony-s-top-10

A clip from early in the season wherein the top 10 offensive players are discussed. Pauline has 3 QBs among the 10. First two are obvious but his #3 surprised me
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

4 Aces

I keep hearing this QB class is an all-timer and I desperately want it to be, but I'm just not seeing it.

You've got guys saying Caleb Williams is the best prospect since Luck. Based on what? He's a better prospect than Trevor Lawrence and Herbert, for example? Burrow? He wants ownership stake or he'll collect NIL money? Talk about an over-inflated d-bag. He'd play 5 games here and get sacked 30 times and NY would eat this clown alive. Maye is intriguing, Penix is interesting but there are guys like this virtually every year.

The hype (or the extreme negative reactions like we saw with Jones) have no place with this fan.

Brooklyn Dave

Riley Leonard is a Junior at Duke and there is no indication that he will come out this year.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 31, 2023, 06:43:26 AMI don't care what Riley Leonard does on the field. I don't care what he does at the combine. I don't care what he scores on the wonderlic or whatever test they use now is. If they draft another QB from duke I'm going to lose it. Let him be great elsewhere because if he came to the Giants he'd suck out loud.

I also think as of now I'd have McCarthy 3rd over Bo Nix mainly because Nix is old. So is Penix. But I think skills wise they're all in the same tier. McCarthy just has more potential to become better by virtue of being 3 years younger than those other two. However if Daboll fell in full bloom love with Nix or Penix I wouldn't be upset.

Just please don't take Riley. I'm begging you.

Riley Leonard is a junior at Duke and there is not any indication that he is ready to enter the 2024 draft

brownelvis54

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2023, 12:58:36 PMBy the time the 2024 draft rolls around, I believe Caleb Williams will not be the #1 pick.  Maybe 3rd QB off the board.

Year over year, I think McCarthy has developed the most.  His football IQ and processing during a play are good.  I want to watch his accuracy on long throws in tight coverage as I want to see him get more air under those throws as opposed to ropes.

Whats your take on Bo Nix?
The KING is in the building

katkavage

The two QBs in the Washington/USC game looking impressive. Especially how they both extend the plays by their scrambling. Schoen is at the game.

uconnjack8

Quote from: katkavage on November 04, 2023, 09:59:24 PMThe two QBs in the Washington/USC game looking impressive. Especially how they both extend the plays by their scrambling. Schoen is at the game.

Hope he isn't scouting defense.

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 04, 2023, 06:30:24 PMWhats your take on Bo Nix?

I think he started college during the dial up internet era.

madbadger

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 04, 2023, 10:37:38 PMHope he isn't scouting defense.

I think he started college during the dial up internet era.

Jesus. He's a fifth year senior just like my son and my son is now where near being too old. For decades most quarterbacks spent four or five years in college learning their craft before entering the draft. He's 23 and playing in an era where the good ones last into their late 30's. Why people bring up his age is baffling to me.

Jclayton92

Quote from: madbadger on November 04, 2023, 11:33:34 PMJesus. He's a fifth year senior just like my son and my son is now where near being too old. For decades most quarterbacks spent four or five years in college learning their craft before entering the draft. He's 23 and playing in an era where the good ones last into their late 30's. Why people bring up his age is baffling to me.
The age is only brought up because the NFL likes to draft guys young and develop them but by the time a guy like Nix or penix get drafted they've likely peaked physically. Both will be 24 before they take a snap in the NFL.

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 05, 2023, 12:24:41 AMThe age is only brought up because the NFL likes to draft guys young and develop them but by the time a guy like Nix or penix get drafted they've likely peaked physically. Both will be 24 before they take a snap in the NFL.

The NFL, by and large, has done a lousy job developing quarterbacks the last 10-15 years. I don't remember as many grotesque busts back in the 80's-90's as we do now. Give me a 22/23 year old Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning over a 20 year old Kyler Murray.